OK so my data usage has skyrocketed and I have no idea why and wonder if anyone has any ideas.

9800 on Telus, all official OS and apps so no problems there.

I went from using anywhere from 40-100MB per day in May and June but just got a text from Telus saying I was at 95% of my data. So I look online and see that data usage in July starts at 100MB/day and has been going up and up averaging about 250MB/day but has been anywhere from 400-600MB for the last 5 or 6 days.

My phone is hard to even use at this point because it always has the watch face thing in the middle and the data arrows are constantly going which results in no more than 4 hours before it needs to be plugged in.

I don't use many fancy apps, only things that are usually running are the default apps + Blackberry News Feeds and Twitter.

EDIT: Ok so just an update, really need help with this. My phone is SENDING all that data, got a network monitor app and switched to wifi, almost 30MB sent out but next to nothing coming in. Deleting apps one by one but this is getting tiresome.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by AlexD_22; 07-28-11 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Update
    07-28-11 04:44 PM
    You need to see what apps are running in the background and make sure you exit them properly if you don't need them running.

I would also increase the "refresh" time on any social media apps.

Did you do *any* upgrades since you noticed the increase?
    07-28-11 05:18 PM
    You need to see what apps are running in the background and make sure you exit them properly if you don't need them running.

I would also increase the "refresh" time on any social media apps.

Did you do *any* upgrades since you noticed the increase?
    Thanks for the response. Been using BB for years so quite aware of properly closing apps. Only apps running are msgs, bbm, browser, phone and home all of which can't be closed. Oh and now the network traffic app but I only installed that an hour ago.

Only social media app I use is twitter and bbm, twitter is uninstalled and it's still going crazy.

I have been trying to figure out which app I have "upgraded" in the last little bit but no idea, I just update as app world pushes me the notification of upgrades.
    07-28-11 05:25 PM
    well that IS strange, I would try to reinstall the firmware and install the apps you want back one by one and see what happens, maybe that would solve your problem?
    07-28-11 05:39 PM
    I am pretty surprised that any single app would be able to generate 300 to 400mb of data usage in a single day.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-11 05:44 PM
    @PsyCorps I'm really hoping to avoid that route, thanks though.

@auntjemima I hear that, I just spent a minute watching the network traffic app (on wifi now) and the sent data goes up by .01 MB almost every 3 seconds. When I saw almost 600MB from 2 days ago I was shocked, explains why I plugged it in twice that day. Only apps I ran that day aside from the normal ones were weathereye, twitter, and bb news feeds.

Anyone think its possible there is some app that isn't showing in the list that is running and pushing strange amounts of data? Dare I say the v word??
    07-28-11 05:50 PM
    It's reall not as painfull as it sounds, takes about 45 minutes and your all fresh and good to go, maybe you concider it
    BlackBerry 302: A complete wipe and clean install of your BlackBerry OS | CrackBerry.com
    07-28-11 06:46 PM
    Wow! I use maybe 200 MB in a month, haha.

Go to Options > Device > Application Management and swipe over to the CPU screen. The app using up all that data is likely also using a lot of CPU time.
    07-28-11 08:53 PM
    I have this same problem, data arrows, torch get super hot and battery drain is INSANE, haven't been able to pinpoint the problem yet, has happened on 3 different OS versions currently using .600. Nothing seems unusual on app management screen. So I might unstal apps one at a time to try to find the problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-11 09:22 PM
    Because I just paid my bill and saw the crazy data usage (I use wi-fi). I've set auto off and on to "active" and I've disallowed my 3rd party apps to access the Internet. I'm trying this as an experiment to see if it decreases since data is going back and forth even while I'm asleep!
    07-30-11 09:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD