Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Torch actually getting hot.

My Torch got super hot today after 30 mins of use. I lost data services (again) and did a battery pull for 10 minutes. Things settled down and data returned in about an hour.

Anyone else felt the Torch heating up (actually getting hot)?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,781 Global Posts

hot or warm?? Mine has been getting warm behind the keyboard...
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    290BBCB7

Same here. Getting hot after some usage.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

i just played with the torch for the first time at AT&T, and i noticed it was getting warm behind the keyboard as well. it was plugged in, though.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,781 Global Posts

Can you guys define 'hot'?? My idea of hot is being able to fry an egg and 'super hot' is enough to burn...

My Torch gets noticeably warm behind the keyboard even through an Otterbox. I remember reading somewhere the 9800 has an aluminum plate under the keyboard for reinforcement - I wonder if its got something to do with the warmth...

CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    28060b1C

you can actually installed a battery meter, try batteryEx it is able to measure your battery temperature more accurately. Most of the time if the heat occurs on the phone it is from th battery source.
    CrackBerry Abuser

The last one I had did. According to SmartBeBattery it was up to 120 F. At that point it stopped charging so I took it back and got another one

CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Thank you all for your responses.

Sorry, I have (had) no way of determining the level of hotness. I'll try batteryEx and let you know.

By hot I mean that when I picked it up it felt like it had been sitting out in the noon day sun baking all day. It was uncomfortable to hold, not just a little warm from holding or using.

Last edited by jcolg318; 08-29-2010 at 10:39 AM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,781 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jcolg318 View Post
    Thank you all for your responses.

Sorry, I have (had) no way of determining the level of hotness. I'll try batteryEx and let you know.

By hot I mean that when I picked it up it felt like it had been sitting out in the noon day son baking all day. It was uncomfortable to hold, not just a little warm from holding or using.
    Take it back. If its uncomfortable to hold why would you even think of keeping it?!?!
    Last edited by lucky45; 08-29-2010 at 09:38 AM.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Thanks BeRich - that's what I was afraid of. If heavy using doesn't cause most to get hot then something must be wrong with this one.

Lucky45 - that what I was debating... I'll likely take it back Monday. But I'd like to reproduce the issue again. I had one time just after I got it where it got hot, but I figured it was 'kid with new toy' syndrome and I was playing with it too much.

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

I noticed mine getting warm sometimes but not all the time. My Iphone 4 does the same thing at times so I don't think much of it. Maybe it's just certain applications that causes the phone to use a lot more battery.
    O.G.

Global Posts
    12,349 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLionCan View Post
    Ok I've been using it for a while now with wifi bluetooth and data on with the keyboard and without it watching videos and listening to music browsing I mean literally everything and sorry guys but it does NOT get hot. Its either you guys don't know how to hold it in your hand or you are leaving it under direct sunlight but my torch doesn't get hot. And believe me I know when a device gets hot; I use a macbook air...

User error for the device getting hot? Come one you can't be serious. Devices can get hot without being under direct sunlight. If the processor is overwhelmed, the device can get hot. The battery may even be defective. User error is kind of rare when it comes to devices getting hot.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,781 Global Posts

Its either you guys don't know how to hold it in your hand or you are leaving it under direct sunlight but my torch doesn't get hot.
    You're kidding,right? ...
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    22DCFC5A

My Torch used to get hot... That was just the first day though (when I was charging at that). After that, my phone has never overheated, or even got warm. I am a heavy user, and this only happened durring the first charge of my phone, so yeah...
    CrackBerry Newbie

Mine used to get uncomfortably hot behind the keyboard, and that used to occur ONLY when using BBM, since the moment I got mine, I installed the .161 leaked software, and used all the apps included in that bundle, however after upgrading BBM to the latest version available the overheating issue -awkwardly- disappeared! And its been behaving normally for two day now.

Hope this would help
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

My Bold used to get hot, and my Torch gets hot, too (heh heh).

I notice that it only gets hot when the GPS is being used.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    PIN
    22C67047

Mine gets hot also, it gets really hot using the car charger and I'm experiencing that lag issue...I wiped and re-installed but it hasn't really help so I will be going to ATT today to see if I can get another one...

EDIT: I forgot.....I won the unlock contest and unlocked it...I knew I should of unlocked my Bold!!
    Last edited by SuperTone; 08-30-2010 at 12:01 PM.
    CrackBerry User

Mine gets a little warm too. About 98~99 F when under heavy-moderate use with twitter account, messengers and 4 tabs in the web browser. Is this normal or should I get a replacement? (The temperature was measured with the free batteryEx application)

CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,235 Global Posts

Why do you think they call it the BlackBerry TORCH? lolll it's probably a feature of that blackberry to keep you warm during winter!
    Z30STA1005 OS 10.3.1.1154
    Curious? Follow me @theonecid
    CrackBerry Newbie

Mine gets a little warm, not hot - but interesting enough it is behind the keyboard area only. Definitely not the battery - which always seems cool to the touch.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    368 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask and you may receive :)

Mine gets warm while charging (obviously), and a bit warmer under heavy use. I track the temp via MeterBerry and the warmest mine has gotten is 92. Just out of curiosity, what's a "normal" temperature for a BB to run at?

And this is a bit off topic, but what is everyone's average battery life? I wonder if i'm just BBMing too much!
    CrackBerry User

I can last for a little longer than a day with heavy use (pulling stuff from twitter every 10 minutes, 30 minute youtube streaming, about 2 hours of Pandora streaming, gtalk, bbm, msn, and about four tabs in the web browser with constant email). And by day, I mean 24 hours, not 'business day'.

The heat on the device is a little disconcerting though (regularly hits +100F with video playback). I have to ship mine into Amazon if I want a replacement so I've been asking around for operation specification for Torch, but people won't even respond anymore :/

CrackBerry Newbie

Default So were all incompetent with the exception of you?

...what I mean is sometimes when you use the phone continously heating occurs because its not meant to be used that way. Its like expecting your pc to run game smoothly even though it meets only the minimum system requirements. I use all the feeds apps messengers and mail accounts all the time with music or video on howcome mine doesn't get hot? Its either so many defective devices are out there or users and mishandling them.

Mine has been getting hot since the first day. I carry an old 83xx with me as a back up in case the torch fails. The battery seems to be the issue. As the battery life sucks even with limited use. And its always hot after reading and replying to emails or a quick web search. I have limited my use of this phone because I did not have a screen protector or hard case. It will heat up and eat up the battery life while searching for a wifi connection.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

Both my Torches get to hot to charge within 10 minutes of phone use if they have cases on them. Without a case, it gets borderline too hot - the cHarging meter flickers. I'm pissed because I'm sure thiis phone was release with many RIM eNgineers knowing this was going to be the case.

CrackBerry User

PIN
    22DFFD98

My Torch does get warm also but has not stopped charging or caused me to do a battery pull for ten minutes. If your phone is causing you to lose data or stop charging there is definately a serious issue which needs serious attention. Like get an exchange. Good luck wih that.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast