Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Torch 9800 constant reboot cycle, progress bar never reaches 10%, BBSAK nor MCP able to detect it

Hi,
    First time request for help in a Forum.
    3 weeks ago my wife's BB (Torch 9800), started rebooting by itself. The booting progress bar (in the Black screen with just the Balckberry word), does not get until 10% when it reboots again and do the same over and over.

BBSAK nor MCP are able to detect it to do a OS wipe.

For some reason, Desktop manager is able to connect with the device and reaload the OS, but when the installation reaches to the point to "Recconecting to JVM", the balckberry start it constant reboot cycle again.

Not sure what to do here.

I'll appreciate any help. Thanks.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,147 Global Posts

The symptoms you describe can be caused by a battery that will no longer hold a charge. The voltage drops too low and the device automatically shuts down. When it shuts down, it no longer draws as much current. The reduced current flow allows the battery voltage to rise to the point the device will attempt to turn on. Once it turns on, as it boots up, it begins to draw more current which the exhausted battery cannot supply. The battery voltage drops below the shutdown voltage and the cycle repeats. The solution: a new battery.

There may be other problems that cause the same symptoms, but trying a new battery is an easy way to narrow down the possible causes.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Unless you know your battery does not hold a charge, do not waste any money on any suggestions that involve parting with cash, as repairing this error will not cost a penny.. I have been assured this problem is caused by the usb drivers supplied with our phones by an engineer who I had no choice but to take my torch 9800 to after an upgrade.. He assure's me this problem NEVER happens on his MAC, and he has repaired hunderds of torch's with this problem. Incidently, 96% of thread's I have read, excluding the dropped phones, state the problem occurs AFTER an os upgrade/update. The problem is specific. Right when your told not to unplug phone, the phone reboots. Over and over.. We are told to disable power managment in device manager/usb.. this does NOTHING to resolve the problem. Here's a hint: your blackberry shows up in usb devices, and in the BBDevMgr, correct? So why wont JL_commander or BBSAK work? Guess what? You updated/upgraded.. best try reloading OS on a mac first.. I'll find out from the engineer next week exactly why this problem occurs, for he is being paid to find the problem, and a wee bit extra for the solution. Just dont buy things you dont need..

Why should'nt you buy a new battery? Because each battery has a unique code, and I believe our problem stems from the upgrade wiping the code for the battery from our phone. Yes there is plenty of power in the battery, but the origional code for our phone is not contained in a NEW battery if our OS is not there to provide it?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,147 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Decksperiment View Post
    ...each battery has a unique code, and I believe our problem stems from the upgrade wiping the code for the battery from our phone. Yes there is plenty of power in the battery, but the origional code for our phone is not contained in a NEW battery if our OS is not there to provide it?
    The OS reads the code in the battery and performs a check to verify that you have a genuine BlackBerry battery. If the code fails, you get an error message and the phone won't use the battery. The code isn't stored in the OS, and upgrading the OS doesn't change it. However, you are correct that an OS upgrade can affect battery life. The radio code in the new version may be less efficient, or the new OS may install some new power using code that you previously did not have.