Hello everyone. I upgraded my software to 526 and then to 534 (both shrunk ) assuming 526 was the problem, but the battery is just dying. I kept a full charged battery off the cradle at night and in the morning the battery was dead. Wifi and 3G are on as always, but before upgrading to the software the battery lasted 2 days atleast. Do you feel it is a software upgrade issue or a hardware issue ? Could the battery have shorted or some thing else. All advice highly appreciated, thanks.
    04-13-11 08:42 AM
    Lots are complaining about the battery life, just downgrade to the OS you had before and see how it goes....remember these are just leaks and not official OS's
    04-13-11 08:51 AM
    Hello everyone. I upgraded my software to 526 and then to 534 (both shrunk ) assuming 526 was the problem, but the battery is just dying. I kept a full charged battery off the cradle at night and in the morning the battery was dead. Wifi and 3G are on as always, but before upgrading to the software the battery lasted 2 days atleast. Do you feel it is a software upgrade issue or a hardware issue ? Could the battery have shorted or some thing else. All advice highly appreciated, thanks.
    I would try re-loading the OS but without shrinking it. If you shrink something that shouldn't be taken out then problems will be possible.
    And, (in my opinion) I am not sure why everyone thinks that they have to shrink the Torch OS. I am on .526 with a lot of apps/themes, and I have 280 MB available with no battery problems whatsoever.
    04-13-11 08:52 AM
    I would try re-loading the OS but without shrinking it. If you shrink something that shouldn't be taken out then problems will be possible.
    And, (in my opinion) I am not sure why everyone thinks that they have to shrink the Torch OS. I am on .526 with a lot of apps/themes, and I have 280 MB available with no battery problems whatsoever.
    I think the shrinking is a habit left over from other Blackberries that do not have the memory that our Torch has. Old habits die hard.
    04-13-11 10:04 AM
    I think the shrinking is a habit left over from other Blackberries that do not have the memory that our Torch has. Old habits die hard.
    It doesn't boost performance at all on this device, if anything it degrades it by removing files that help the OS manage everything efficiently. We have the memory, stop shrinking OS's people! lol I agree with you completely, old habits do die hard. Hopefully people can move on from shrinking until the next OS comes out that necessitates removing apps to make it fit. :P
    04-13-11 10:51 AM
    Everytime i upgrade my bb i do a battery pull for 3 times.
    Once the upgrade is complete, the bb is ok, light up.
    I wait for 1 minute, take off the battery for 2 minutes,
    I do that 3 times. When I do that I never had any problem, issue or else.
    Everything work perfectly.
    04-13-11 11:10 AM
    Today I shut of the WIFI and left 3G on and same thing, the telephone worked fine until 70% battery life and then it started discharging and the icon turned red and started flashing. The discharge is very rapid after 70%. Could it be a battery problem ? Its not a very old phone/battery though.
    04-13-11 12:43 PM
    You can have a faulty battery. A battery doesn't have to be old to be faulty. you might want to check that out.
    04-13-11 12:46 PM
    I downgraded the software to 337 with same applications, wifi turned on and 3G and the battery overnight has retained the charge. So apparently 526 and 534 were not compatible with my particular device, I guess. Thanks for all your help and support in this matter.
    04-13-11 11:36 PM
    I get great battery life on .534, probably like 30% more than previous OSes.
    04-13-11 11:38 PM
    Sometimes it takes a day or so for it to start working correctly with the battery. When I installed the latest .534 I had terrible battery the first day but it was great the 2nd day.
    04-14-11 12:27 AM
    I haven't had any issues with battery life so far. .450 and .526 (which I'm currently running) have been great for me.
    04-14-11 06:07 AM
    I wonder if you removed a utility that communicates with the battery which assists with the battery management. Or the battery just bit the dust adn it coincided with the OS upgrade. The batteries have a limited number of charge/discharge cycles before they have to be replaced and sometimes the onboard logic which tracks that goes bad causing the battery to have to be replaced prematurely.
    04-14-11 07:17 AM
    I dont think i removed any utility, because I tried at first full versions without shrinking and when it didnt help the battery, I shrunk and then tried.
    However as of now, the battery is behaving well and has returned to normalcy with ver 337.
    04-14-11 08:14 AM
    I can relate to this. If anything I've been thinking of getting an extra battery for my Torch.
    04-14-11 11:05 AM
    I'm getting great battery life on .534. Best yet infact. Maybe it requires some days to settle down.
    04-15-11 03:23 AM
    Maybe the version which I downloaded was missing some module which caused this ?
    04-15-11 03:42 AM
    I've upgraded OS several times since purchase of 9800. Did not shrink OS at any time! On v6.0.0.534 now. Battery life is excellent for my usage (phone, text and e-mail, internet, media music and videos, 12 third part apps installed, but not all on at same time). At initial installation, some features of OS don't all function untill 2-3 battery pulls. After bp's, all is well.
    04-15-11 04:45 AM
    I always takes a day or two to get an acurate measurement of your battery. I have found the .526 is great on battery. If you are running any of these apps, they might be causing your problem

Live Profile
    Network Traffic - Beta - great app but drains battery fast.
    04-15-11 08:08 AM
    Downgrade to .246 and your problem will be solved. 526 DRAINED 2 1/2 batteries a day. Took a long time to figure it out.
    07-19-11 10:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD