Hello, I have a blackberry 9800 for well over a year and love it but recently i will charge the battery and I am either on the phone, or on internet and battery goes to empty and within seconds says battery drain no more radio use or shuts off till I plug it in and on charger for couple minutes and battery is more than half again.

Most recently I will be (trying) to take a picture and it just shuts off and once I plug it in it has to reboot itself.

I have not made any upgrade to software and took off apps that I thought drained battery.

Is this a phone problem or battery problem.

HELP - I love blackberry but this is pissing me off I'm scared to talk on phone
    09-05-12 09:45 PM
    i had a similar problem with mine once. Take the battery out and make sure all the contacts are clean and free of any debris. Worked for me and I'm still using the original battery with no problems. Good luck!
    09-05-12 10:14 PM
    Had the same issue a few months ago. Picked up a new battery and problem was solved.
    09-05-12 10:20 PM
    Put your battery on flat surface. If you're able to spin it (because of a bulge ) the battery is no good and need a new one. If it doesn't spin, could just be a defected battery.
    09-05-12 10:40 PM
    I was having the same issues you described. Then my battery stopped holding a charge for more than 20 minutes. I got a new battery and I'm still having issues. Last night my battery died after 4 hours of listening to music. Today it died after about 3 hours and using the camera a few times.
    09-10-12 05:29 PM
    Battery needs replaced. Incredible how many people using OS 6 generation of blackberry are having the same battery and charge port issues. I have to use a cradle charger because the mini usb fries batteries.
    Last edited by geoffsdad; 09-10-12 at 10:51 PM.
    09-10-12 10:48 PM
    I have just started having this issue.....bought new battery no better....help!
    09-15-12 11:37 AM
    For those with this battery issue, what is your OS version? please post your OS info as it maybe OS specific, and not just say you have a problem but with no info. it doesn't help if you don't tell more information and just complaining
    09-15-12 12:09 PM
    Hello, I have a blackberry 9800 for well over a year and love it but recently i will charge the battery and I am either on the phone, or on internet and battery goes to empty and within seconds says battery drain no more radio use or shuts off till I plug it in and on charger for couple minutes and battery is more than half again.

Most recently I will be (trying) to take a picture and it just shuts off and once I plug it in it has to reboot itself.

I have not made any upgrade to software and took off apps that I thought drained battery.

Is this a phone problem or battery problem.

HELP - I love blackberry but this is pissing me off I'm scared to talk on phone
    Have u seen the thread about disabling the compression in the media storage? Seend to be working group for me......early days.....
    09-15-12 01:30 PM
    Mine just started doing this about a month ago.

My battery will last all day as long as I don't try to use the camera. If I use the camera, particularly if I use the flash, suddenly I will hear the beep and the battery is in the red zone. The other day after I did this, I plugged it in and did a reboot. When the phone had rebooted my battery was already charged to the level it was before the sudden drain. I'm thinking my battery isn't really drained, my phone is just reporting that it is.

I thought it was related to off wifi web browsing, but that now seems to not be draining my battery. I'm starting to suspect this all might be related to some app I downloaded recently.

I am running 6.0 bundle 3049 as an OS.
    09-15-12 02:03 PM
    I have the same problem, but I have not yet replace the battery as I use the phone as a secondary phone. My torch uses OS 6.0.0.706 version (goaliegirl33, look at the software version, not the software bundle)
    09-16-12 02:23 AM
    I have the same problem, but I have not yet replace the battery as I use the phone as a secondary phone. My torch uses OS 6.0.0.706 version (goaliegirl33, look at the software version, not the software bundle)
    Oh, there it is. Mine's the same OS as yours.
    09-16-12 10:30 AM
    thanks, goaliegirl33, now at least we see 2 OS having same issue. if anyone can tell more, we can probably see if we should upgrade to 723 (or if 723 also have the same issue)
    09-16-12 01:16 PM
    Hi,

My phone was having the same issue for a few weeks. Wouldn't charge, then it would say it was charged, then it would die and shut off without warning.

I finally realized it's the stupid BB App World again. I recently got two notifications for app upgrades, and that's when it all started. Go through Options --> Device --> Application Management --> check your CPU usage. My phone showed that absolutely no applications were loaded at all (totally not true), yet over 90% CPU usage.

From the main screen, delete BB App world, then go back into Options and see if things start unjamming and if your CPU usage goes down. You may need to delete further apps (e.g. maybe a new one you just downloaded has messed up your OS), and do a few battery pulls, but this may help your problem. My phone's fully charged and has been off the charger for hours now and all's back to normal.

It's not the first time when App World downloads upgrades to install, it screws up the whole phone ... uncaught exceptions, java.lang.error...

Anyways... hope this helps and prevents you from having to do a clean install of your OS.

Sometimes, too, the BB doesn't like 'sketchy' power sources (e.g. loose connection, connection through an adapter, or laptop etc.) and this can mess it up, and it's got nothing to do with a bad battery. Just make sure you have a good quality power source (e.g. not through a laptop) and snug-fitting mini usb connection charger. If your phone has died unexpectedly, and it won't turn back on, plug it into a solid power source and do a battery pull while it's plugged in. This should shock it back to rebooting. That's the other annoying issue I've had with my Torch related to charging.
    09-17-12 12:28 AM
    I had the same problem reported by you guys... I update the OS (from .2 something to .600, which was the last version suggested by the DM) and the problem is still there...!!

I don't know if to try another OS version or to try to buy a new battery...

PS: I also try to disable the SD compression, as someone suggested, but it didn't solve anything...
    Last edited by FrankCM; 09-18-12 at 03:11 AM.
    09-18-12 02:29 AM
    Mine is so weird. Yesterday was a fairly normal usage day for me. BBM, texting, Twitter, Facebook, random webpages was about it, didn't make any calls or take a picture. By the time I plugged my phone in at 1am, it was still at about 70% charge.

I thought it was related to my camera. Usually it does a quick drain after 2 pictures. I just took about 10 pictures to test my theory and my battery hasn't drained a bit.

My new theory is, my phone only does a quick drain when I don't have the time or the means to charge it.
    09-18-12 12:01 PM
    I have the same issue. Seems to usually happen when attempting to take a picture. But it has also been happening during other things as well. The phone is a couple of years old, and I rarely shut it off unless I have to reboot for an update or something.

Blackberry 9800
    Version 6.0.0.600 Platform 6.6.0.223
    09-18-12 12:13 PM
    after reading several responses, i can conclude that the OS version may not be an issue as it happened on OS 600 as well. It seems like most of the problem happens to a battery that is over 2 years old. But someone in another post stated that after he pop up a new battery, then the phone only charge half way

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...attery-743502/

My guess is that it can be a HW fault that the phone keeps charging a battery when it's full, that's why the battery can no longer keep its charge

OR

it can be a bad manufactured battery. The reason I said this is because I have a Bold 9700 that is more than 3 years old and I have never change the battery, not once. Considering that the 9700 also uses the OS 706, so my second guess is that F-S1 battery cell is a bad battery
    Last edited by gameson; 09-18-12 at 03:48 PM.
    09-18-12 12:42 PM
    I've been having same issue for several weeks. I bought a brand new OEM battery but problem still exists. It will be fine then one phone call, message, FaceBook or internet view and the battery indicator turns red and it powers down. I have to continually pull battery and plug into power source and it goes back up to nearly full. OS is up to date. This is my third phone replaced by AT&T several times but now off warranty. I deleted Vlingo to save some space but app storage is 256 MB free, built in media storage is 3.6gb free & media card is 2.9gb free. I turn off mobile network & wifi when in subways and it seems to help give me enough power to play a few games of solitaire. This is very frustrating because I can't complete a call or do much else without phone going dead. Any other suggestions?
    09-24-12 01:14 PM
    I have the similar problem and now I am going to buy a new OEM battery to see if the new OEM battery would solve the problem.

If not, I would try to upgrade my OS to the latest version

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-telus-745846/

After upgrade to latest OS version, if it's still having problem, I guess I would have to buy a new phone (S3 or iPhone 5). I have completely lost confidence on Blackberry if a new battery would not solve this problem. My sister Bold 9700 never has this issue and 9700 is older than 9800, so I am guessing that it must be the HW issue that discharge the battery too quickly (my sister 9700 also uses OS 6 as well).

I've been having same issue for several weeks. I bought a brand new OEM battery but problem still exists. It will be fine then one phone call, message, FaceBook or internet view and the battery indicator turns red and it powers down. I have to continually pull battery and plug into power source and it goes back up to nearly full. OS is up to date. This is my third phone replaced by AT&T several times but now off warranty. I deleted Vlingo to save some space but app storage is 256 MB free, built in media storage is 3.6gb free & media card is 2.9gb free. I turn off mobile network & wifi when in subways and it seems to help give me enough power to play a few games of solitaire. This is very frustrating because I can't complete a call or do much else without phone going dead. Any other suggestions?
    09-24-12 08:00 PM
    My battery is definitely only fake dead. I'm convinced this is software now. My phone went from about 70% to nothing this afternoon in an instant. I plugged it into my computer's usb port, rebooted the phone and it went back up to 70% as soon as it powered back on. I've been using it without plugging it in again all day since, about 5 hours and it's still at 55%. It most definitely wasn't dead when it said it was. No way would it recharge that fast.
    09-24-12 08:55 PM
    but the things is have you use your phone for a whole day or not? if you have used it for a whole day, then it's SW issue for not reading the charge correctly and when it request more juice, then it drops to nothing when realize there is no more charge in the battery.

however if you have not used the phone (or just off the charger) and then within couple hours, it drops from 70% to red, that means your battery is messed up (which is my case. My phone can not last for more than few hours a day. SW will show full charge, but few minutes of phone call, it's gone from full charge to red before shutting down by itself)

either case, it's definitely SW issue as the SW does not read the battery charge correctly, but if I get a new battery and if the battery charge gone from 70% to red after a day use, then I guess that would be OK for me as I always charge at the end of the day. but now i m F&^%$ed as my phone can not last 3 hours...

if after new battery and the phone can not last more than 3 hours, then I would have to buy a new phone. if that's the case, i will no longer buy a Blackberry, not even when BB 10 is out as it shows how bad is the BB quality SW and HW wise
    09-25-12 01:25 AM
    For me, yes I had used my phone all day yesterday. I am completely convinced mine is SW and not HW related. After my reboot yesterday I didn't have another battery drain, and I plugged my phone in at midnight and it was still at about 45%.

I know the obvious test for this for me is to do a wipe, reload the OS and see how it does without the bazillion or so apps I have running, I just don't have the time right now.
    09-25-12 10:47 AM
    I would say for your case, it's not exactly 'battery drain' but more likely SW issue for not reading the battery charge correctly since your phone can last a normal usage for a day activity. you should upgrade your OS and see if that would fix the problem.

or if you don't have the time, try buy a new battery and see if that would fix the problem. Maybe the SW can not read the battery charge correctly since the battery is about to go bad? not sure on this one...
    09-25-12 02:32 PM
    I'm having the same issue. I've confirmed it's not the battery, it does the same thing with another battery and my battery works fine in another BB. I deleted any app that I've installed in the last 6 months, and updated to the latest OS. It still does it. Is updating to the latest OS the same thing as wiping and reloading? I don't want to get a new phone until BB10 so I'm really hoping that there is some fix. Please anybody help!
    09-27-12 07:20 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD