Is the current 9800 able to go to 4G or will I have to get another one for 4G?
    I've had this phone since December, before AT&T decided to go 4G, and I'd hate to have to get another one just to get 4G.
    03-22-11 11:40 AM
    No 4g. I'm not even positive the Torch2 will be...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-11 11:54 AM
    No 4g. I'm not even positive the Torch2 will be...

Yes 4G. BlackBerry� Torch� 9800 - SaskTel
    I'm not sure if the current torch would support it or not though.
    03-22-11 12:00 PM
    i wish!
    i had switched to torch from iphone 3gs last fall, and i blindly read all the reviews and videos on it, and i was thinking wow torch loads up webpages pretty quick. turns out all the comparison videos were on wifi. in my daily usage im always using network data over wifi, and loading up webpages is painstakingly slow on EDGE and 3G (Rogers). i'm not a habitual browser, but man is it annoying when theres something quick i want to look up, and it takes forever to load! A colleague pointed out that the torch uses old antennas, and not the (then) latest 7.2mbps ones.
    I always thought it was RIMs servers bottlenecking the speed. who knows.

lets hope the 2011 round of blackberries will have some faster speeds. that's one thing ill be looking forward to, thats for sure. Ive been out of the loop for a little while, but i dont think canada has gone 4G yet, so i dont see any benefit for us to get 4G phones.. unless that 21.1mbps network is considered "4G"
    03-22-11 12:04 PM
    The 9800 does not have the hardware to support 4G. SaskTel is going 4G (LTE), however, only devices with the proper hardware will actually get 4G speeds. Older devices such as the 9800 will still only get 3G.

For instance, the HTC Thunderbolt is capable of 4G on VZW, but older Android devices are only capable of 3G.
    03-22-11 12:08 PM
    The 9800 does not have the hardware to support 4G. SaskTel is going 4G (LTE), however, only devices with the proper hardware will actually get 4G speeds. Older devices such as the 9800 will still only get 3G.

For instance, the HTC Thunderbolt is capable of 4G on VZW, but older Android devices are only capable of 3G.
    Maybe older as in the ones that were made before 4G, because on that page I provided for Sasktel, under Specifications it says "4G Network: Yes". Care to explain more on how it won't get 4G?
    03-22-11 12:11 PM
    No definitely not. Its the same bands, so even if they can achieve higher throughput its not really 4g.

03-22-11 12:11 PM
    4g would be dumb because there's not enough AT&T LTE rollout to do anything...

It will use HSDPA+
    03-22-11 12:33 PM
    Maybe older as in the ones that were made before 4G, because on that page I provided for Sasktel, under Specifications it says "4G Network: Yes". Care to explain more on how it won't get 4G?
    It's one big marketing scam. In fact, not one 4G network in development in North America is actually true 4G (there are a lot of articles on this if you want to look around for more info).

What SaskTel did was decide to call their HSPA+ network 4G. This is the same network used by Bell, Telus & Rogers in Canada and is a 3G technology.

SaskTel's Wireless Network Classified as 4G Province-wide - 2011 news releases - News - About us - SaskTel

The Torch does not include the bands for any true 4G network, and as such will never be a 4G phone, regardless of what a carrier decides to re-market their network as.
    Technerd.McLeod likes this.
    03-22-11 01:22 PM
    Update: It seems the International Telecommunications Union has modified it's definition of "4G" to include some of these advanced 3G networks.

So while the carrier's can call these networks 4G, they won't bring the 4G speeds one would expect, and is just going to cause a lot of consumer confusion.

More info: Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide
    Technerd.McLeod likes this.
    03-22-11 01:32 PM
    It's a hopeless battle anyways... Consumers go off of what the carriers feed them.

They could label hsdpa 3.2mbs 4g and consumers wouldn't know the difference.
    03-22-11 01:37 PM
    It's one big marketing scam. In fact, not one 4G network in development in North America is actually true 4G (there are a lot of articles on this if you want to look around for more info).

What SaskTel did was decide to call their HSPA+ network 4G. This is the same network used by Bell, Telus & Rogers in Canada and is a 3G technology.

SaskTel's Wireless Network Classified as 4G Province-wide - 2011 news releases - News - About us - SaskTel

The Torch does not include the bands for any true 4G network, and as such will never be a 4G phone, regardless of what a carrier decides to re-market their network as.
    Thank you for that. That does make it really confusing when they can classify it as 4G when it actually isn't. So thank you again for the clarification.
    03-22-11 01:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD