Took back the Torch today and got my full refund; overall it was an underwhelming experience. Can't sugarcoat this one.

1. Rattling slider. This thing's screen rattled on the right side whenever I slightly tapped it. It was tolerable at first but after every press on the touch screen it rattled and wiggled; couldn't handle an entire day of that.

2. "Tin can" noise whenever I spoke to someone. My friends and family were telling me that sounded like I was speaking through a tin can and asked why my Bold didn't sound like that all. I didn't have an answer.

Those two reasons above are inexcusable for a phone I paid $543.00 for with tax.

Further functional reasons:

3. Slider form factor sucks, in my opinion after having used it for a day. I wasn't nearly as fast or efficient as I used to be with my Bold 9000 or 9700; I was blazing fast at texting with those, and everything on those phones was absolutely seamless and everything felt perfectly integrated to deliver the best consumer experience possible. OS6 feels rushed IMO. On to that...

4. OS6 feels unfinished and rushed. The fact that I couldn't change the font size past 8 without all the lettering in text messages crumbling together was a joke. The sentences would spill over and names would bleed over the "date received" part of a text. That never happened with either of my Bolds; even if I was using the largest font. The OS feels sluggish too; it feels about 85-90% of what it should be speed-wise. Bold always felt snappy and never lagged.

5. Keyboard on the Torch is above average. It's way too sunken in to the phone and feels cheap and clacky when pressed. Both of my Bolds feel like quality keyboards and have a really nice feel to them. Of course the 9000 still reigns over the 9700 in this department; and Torch is the worst.

6. Screen resolution. I was one of the folks that was okay with a lower resolution; and thought everything would be just fine. After using the phone for one day, I could start to see the effects a lower resolution had on the larger screen. It looks washed out and outdated. Unfortunately it affects text the worst; and lettering can be an eyesore to read after a while. My 9700 and 9000; although basically the same resolution, looked extremely crisp and gave off an "HD" vibe because they were so damn sharp.

After a day of using the Torch, I actually began to severely miss my 9700. Good thing I held on to it and didn't sell it. Perhaps if RIM had ensured the 9800's OS6 was snappier and less sloppy when displaying fonts, and if my phone didn't have those defects; I might feel a little different. But overall, I gotta say RIM really dropped the ball on this one. It's too bad, I had really looked forward to this one for a long time. I'll wait for the next Bold-esque phone and happily use my 9700 until then.

When does the Onyx II come out anyway?
    Last edited by danondorf; 08-13-10 at 07:48 PM.
    08-13-10 07:43 PM
    ehh, I dont think you can really judge a phone until you have had it for more than a day. Things take time to get used to. When a software update comes out this thing is going to be boss. I don't even miss my 9700. Sorry you had a bad experience.
    08-13-10 07:49 PM
    I had it for two days; got it the 11th @ Wal-Mart. Within one day I knew the issues were a deal breaker for me.
    08-13-10 07:52 PM
    ehh, I dont think you can really judge a phone until you have had it for more than a day. Things take time to get used to. When a software update comes out this thing is going to be boss. I don't even miss my 9700. Sorry you had a bad experience.
    Well Said. You have thirty days, USE that thirty days to figure it out. DUH!
    08-13-10 07:52 PM
    I love mine I just had that voice problem but I'm sure I can turn it in if I doesn't go away but other than that this phone is great! Sorry you had those problems

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-10 07:53 PM
    If I had paid $543 for it I would find every reason to take it back as well.
    08-13-10 07:56 PM
    My experience so far has been about the same. I hate that tin can sound when I'm speaking. The screen is just flat, ugly. Its not even adequate, it looks bad.

08-13-10 07:57 PM
    No issues with mine at all. Can't ever see going back to the 9700.
    08-13-10 08:13 PM
    I agree with most of your points on the Torch, which is why Im back in the 9700 camp and waiting for the 9780 to be released....
    08-13-10 08:16 PM
    I agree with most of your points on the Torch, which is why Im back in the 9700 camp and waiting for the 9780 to be released....
    When is that out? On AT&T as well?
    08-13-10 08:32 PM
    Those two reasons above are inexcusable for a phone I paid $543.00 for with tax.
    Why did you pay so much? I paid $149 with a two-year renewal.
    08-13-10 08:42 PM
    So. You had hardware issues that the majority of us don't have, and you just straight up returned it? Why not just get another Torch and try it for another day or two?
    08-13-10 08:50 PM
    So. You had hardware issues that the majority of us don't have, and you just straight up returned it? Why not just get another Torch and try it for another day or two?
    Its one thing when u find one defect, its a whole different thing when you find several and someway or another, others have experience them as well. Its just that ppl don't see one problem the same as someone else might see it.

08-13-10 08:55 PM
    i am happy camper here..
    very good battery life..
    i paid 199 for a 2 year upgrade..
    i'm happy with the screen.. suits my needs for a phone..
    i enjoy the ability to customize... even for message alerts. .which the iphone doesn't allow me to do..
    if there's anything i miss.. Blackberry doesn't have a FART application..
    When is that out? On AT&T as well?
    Yup...AT&T as well as T-Mobile...theres a forum for it here at CB...guesses about the release range from later this month to December...

A few Canadian CBers have seen them in action...check out the purty pics in this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f219/bl...-bezel-510191/

The good news is OS6 only takes up about half of the memory, so it should be MUCH MUCH faster and fluid than it is on the Torch...and it has a 5MP camera as well...

It will DEFINITELY be my next BB...
    Last edited by Average Joe; 08-13-10 at 10:05 PM.
    Blackberry doesn't have a FART application..
    That's getting old. Same goes with the antenna. At least apple is addresing the issue.
    What is RIM going to do about the TORCH issues?

08-13-10 09:08 PM
    Why did you pay so much? I paid $149 with a two-year renewal.
    Non-commitment pricing @ Wal-Mart was $499 plus state tax (CA).
    08-13-10 10:17 PM
    There's quite a few threads around here of people having the same issues I am (see "wiggle thread). Yeah, I "straight up" returned it also because I was unimpressed with OS6 as well.
    08-13-10 10:19 PM
    Yup...AT&T as well as T-Mobile...theres a forum for it here at CB...guesses about the release range from later this month to December...

A few Canadian CBers have seen them in action...check out the purty pics in this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f219/bl...-bezel-510191/

The good news is OS6 only takes up about half of the memory, so it should be MUCH MUCH faster and fluid than it is on the Torch...and it has a 5MP camera as well...

It will DEFINITELY be my next BB...
    Wow, looks awesome. Thanks!
    08-13-10 10:23 PM
    That's getting old. Same goes with the antenna. At least apple is addresing the issue.
    What is RIM going to do about the TORCH issues?

Uh, the Torch was released, oh, 38 HOURS AGO. It took Apple weeks to even acknowledge that there might be an antenna issue.
    08-13-10 10:35 PM
    @ the OP
    will you be paying for a re stocking fee?
    if so.. why not hold on to it for 28 more days..
    08-13-10 10:40 PM
    Also: most likely the OP's #2 & 4 iffs will be fixed in upcoming os updates.

and another question: was it made in Canada or Mexico? there may be a correlation.
    08-13-10 11:40 PM
    @ the OP
    will you be paying for a re stocking fee?
    if so.. why not hold on to it for 28 more days..
    No restocking fee was paid. And @ Wal-Mart it's 15 days for returns on cell phones. Why hold on to it when it was defective and I was not satisfied with it in the first place..
    08-13-10 11:43 PM
    You guys who went back to the 9700 after using the torch must of had some seriously fuked up devices. For me going from the torch back to the 9700 would be like moving from a bmw m6 to a ford taurus. No problems @ all with my torch except a couple of my o.s 5 apps won't work
    08-13-10 11:47 PM
    Also: most likely the OP's #2 & 4 iffs will be fixed in upcoming os updates.

and another question: was it made in Canada or Mexico? there may be a correlation.
    I vaguely remember seeing "made in Canada".
    08-13-10 11:51 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD