I've been having the Torch since last summer. My wife recently got an Android phone and I like her phone better. It has a feature that my Torch doesn't have-Flash player. Some friends of mine have IPhones and I like their phones better than my Torch. IPhones have loads of Apps. BB Torch was my first smartphone. Have you all ever considered making the switch from BB?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-11 11:48 PM
    I've considered it, but my Torch has (at least) one thing non of the others have; a well laid out full physical vertical QWERTY keyboard.

I've tried touchscreen only phones and I just don't think I could do it 100% of the time. I've tried horizontal keyboards and it they just don't seem as easy/quick to type on, plus you have to use a secondary motion of turning your phone sideways to open it to begin with.

That is my main sticking point for not switching. Not to mention, it syncs much better with my email accounts. It has PUSH email service. And, it has BBM.
    03-21-11 12:49 AM
    I've been having the Torch since last summer. My wife recently got an Android phone and I like her phone better. It has a feature that my Torch doesn't have-Flash player. Some friends of mine have IPhones and I like their phones better than my Torch. IPhones have loads of Apps. BB Torch was my first smartphone. Have you all ever considered making the switch from BB?

Really? Well at least you're not having trouble typing on it

03-21-11 12:57 AM
    I don't get why people just don't switch if they like other phones better, rather than asking everyone...
    03-21-11 01:15 AM
    ^^^
    I agree

Had the 9700...used a friend's torch...1 week later, here I am....Torch in hand! LOL
    03-21-11 03:24 AM
    I don't have much experience in Torch < Android, but I did jump from a 9000, to a G2 then to a 9700, and my biggest issue on Android was the messaging app, I'm a true hardcore texter, and the messaging app on Android was literally crashing, or failing to load my text conversations due to the sheer amount of them I send, when it comes to Android, your best bet is to just go into a store and pick up a device and use it.

When I say hardcore, I really do mean it.
    03-21-11 03:47 AM
    I don't get why people just don't switch if they like other phones better, rather than asking everyone...
    Amen brother. Threads such as this are getting old.
    Harryl6134 likes this.
    03-21-11 07:00 AM
    They may be looking for feedback from someone who has switched and realized they missed a feature(s) of the BB.

I was considering switching to the Epic, but then I read a thread on the Epic section of Android Central which had a lot of people talking about how they missed their BB's push feature. I'm so used to having push that I had not even considered that it wouldn't be there with another phone. So, here I am still with my Torch.
    03-21-11 07:10 AM

cheerio !!!
    Last edited by daveshiz; 03-21-11 at 12:22 PM.
    03-21-11 07:15 AM
    Well I haven't switched yet because my contract isn't up until August. I like the keyboard too, but the processor is slow.
    03-21-11 07:26 AM
    processor is slow? you should switch then.
    03-21-11 09:44 AM

Before I bought the Torch, I looked at a lot of other options, just to see if there was anything else that might work better. But then this is my 3rd BB, too. My wife has an iPhone, so I got to spend even more time with that. But I stayed with BB and got the Torch because it just does what I need it to very well.

But my needs are not your needs. So if you've used another phone that you think you'd like better, chances are you will like it better. No need to be tied to a brand just because - get what works best for you. I say go for it.

03-21-11 10:50 AM
    I switched from iPhone to BB last year and never looked back. iPhone's are good and each to their own but I just got bored with the iPhone, I'm now on my second BB (Torch) and loving it, I think if I went back to the iPhone (I still have it) I'd miss a few things from the BB, including the Keyboard. This is just my personal opinion however.
    03-21-11 11:46 AM
    With my Torch I like the keyboard too. So IPhone may be out of the question. But if it had a better processor and Flash player then this phone would be perfect. Plus when I play youtube it does alotta buffering. Is there a BB that is better than Torch?
    03-21-11 01:15 PM
    With my Torch I like the keyboard too. So IPhone may be out of the question. But if it had a better processor and Flash player then this phone would be perfect. Plus when I play youtube it does alotta buffering. Is there a BB that is better than Torch?
    Nope, you basically have to wait for the next gen devices this year (monaco, torch 2, storm3).
    03-21-11 01:18 PM
    03-21-11 02:16 PM

I tried changing 2 times and I always find myself going back to the blackberry

03-21-11 04:08 PM
    Just curious didnt you try a android?? If so whats your thoughts between the two?
    03-21-11 04:11 PM
    Well I haven't switched yet because my contract isn't up until August. I like the keyboard too, but the processor is slow.
    Just remember that BB is only gonna get better! Torch 2 will be out this summer and the processor looks to be 1.2 GHZ same as the androids. For me I like everything BB has to offer! The new faster processor will be a added bonus!
    03-21-11 04:15 PM
    Just curious didnt you try a android?? If so whats your thoughts between the two?
    It's nice looking, and smoother (the issue is the cpu/gpu, same with the browser, it's a hardware limitation, not the browser itself). The live wallpapers are nice. App upgrading is faster and generally doesn't require rebooting.

Gaming is no contest. BB is not the platform for gaming, so this shouldn't even really be a discussion.

That said the browser is not smooth-as-butter on even the high end android devices as lot of people claim... Some sites still lag after loading, some sites take a while to load (flash enabled ads do not help at all... and can cause some major slowdown).

The browser features are not as good. For example trying to some mobile websites, they don't format as nicely on double tap like the 9800 (for example the CB mobile forums. And using the full site still isn't that fun on Android...). Lack of hardkey shortcuts. A lot of android devices have no trackpad/trackball. So if the touch elements of a website do not register correctly (had this happen on paypal) there is no way around it...

I dislike the general organization of the apps screen. You basically have to organize your apps on the different pages of the homescreen. You can't really organize the full application list, unless you download some 3rd party apps that let you categorize apps, but even then you cannot reorganize the orders.

Everything you want to change is going to require a new app... This includes adding unread counts to your email icon, sms icon, adding some generic form of LED notifications (very, very simplistic compared to BB).

Gmail push works with the GMail application, but not the native Email application? Very odd... So you basically have to use two applications for email accounts if you want push email on gmail and use other accounts.

The reason so many Android apps are free is because they are ad driven. This increases network use and generally decreases battery life.

The whole experience feels kinda disjointed for me. I got tired of dealing with it. There's other stuff I'm forgetting but this is long enough already...
    Last edited by papped; 03-21-11 at 04:32 PM.
    SlcCorrado and anon(2915233) like this.
    03-21-11 04:27 PM
    Well like you may of known I've tried the EVO and to be honest many of the things u listed were exactly what I couldnt get used to. battery life,(people saying they get just as good of life as with there BB is crazy!) My Bolds been off the charger since 630 and its @80% My evo would of been needing a charge by now. Ad driven apps,led notification,shortcut keys is one of my favorites on a bb,copy and paste is not the same either. did you end up selling your android? Luckily I figured it out in my 30 days and I'm holding out for the montana.
    Last edited by Slammer; 03-21-11 at 04:50 PM.
    03-21-11 04:37 PM
    Yeah i sold it.

Imo, the Torch with a better processor would be pretty close to gold (Montana/S3 same deal, just different form factor). But the processor isn't enough of a reason to get me to switch to android...
    03-21-11 04:38 PM
    Nope same here I find it funny when people switch to a droid the first few days and bash BB saying Droid is the Best phone ever. And then after the first few weeks the honeymoons over and miss the BB. Battery life is a huge factor and the android platform just cant get it done! I want the Torch but i dont see sprint getting it so the montana is next on my list.
    03-21-11 04:50 PM
    Yep, so many threads on people with the Inspire 4g and Thunderbolt that returned it because of abysmal battery life...
    03-21-11 04:59 PM
    Just remember that BB is only gonna get better! Torch 2 will be out this summer and the processor looks to be 1.2 GHZ same as the androids. For me I like everything BB has to offer! The new faster processor will be a added bonus!
    How does the Torch 2 look?
    03-21-11 05:02 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD