When creating a text, I start typing in the To: field, and it shows me contacts that match what I'm typing. If I choose someone from my contacts who has both a mobile phone number and also an email address, my blackberry torch refuses to select the contact. It just ignores my selection.

If I cancel the text, go into the contact, remove their email address, then try to write them a text message, then it works fine and I can select the user from my contact list. If I put the email address back in the contact, I can no longer text them.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Craig
    08-21-13 08:13 PM
    When creating a text, I start typing in the To: field, and it shows me contacts that match what I'm typing. If I choose someone from my contacts who has both a mobile phone number and also an email address, my blackberry torch refuses to select the contact. It just ignores my selection.

If I cancel the text, go into the contact, remove their email address, then try to write them a text message, then it works fine and I can select the user from my contact list. If I put the email address back in the contact, I can no longer text them.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Craig
    First let me go through the steps to make sure you are selecting the right way:

To: start typing and when the name that you are wanting comes up on your list, use the trackpad to highlight it, then press trackpad to select it.
    Then you should get a "dropdown menu" for various ways to contact this person such as phone numbers and email addy's
    Use track pad to highlight the mobile number then press the trackpad to select it.

That should work. If it doesn't make sure you have the latest OS installed . See if you have 7.1.0 or higher

Let me know
    08-21-13 09:05 PM
    That should work. If it doesn't make sure you have the latest OS installed . See if you have 7.1.0 or higher
    Just to clarify this part. This question is posted in the 9800 Forum. Assuming that is the device the OP actually has 7.1 is not going to work. The 9800 is an OS 6 device.
    08-21-13 09:47 PM
    Just to clarify this part. This question is posted in the 9800 Forum. Assuming that is the device the OP actually has 7.1 is not going to work. The 9800 is an OS 6 device.
    I have a 9810 with 7.1.0 694 Guess I didn't realize that 9800 would be an OS6 device.

Another thing I have done that will help when things go awry is to clear the event log - and I believe this works for OS6 & 7 - while pressing the left side "alt" press L G L G then release the alt key. When the event log comes up press menu and delete event log and select yes.
    08-21-13 09:56 PM
    My apologies, as I thought I had a 9800, but apparently I have a 9810. It has 7.1 Bundle 1997 (V7.1.0.694, platform 5.1.0.507).

You mentioned: "To: start typing and when the name that you are wanting comes up on your list, use the trackpad to highlight it, then press trackpad to select it."

This is exactly what I do, but when I use the trackball to select the contact, the list of contacts disappears and it returns me to the "To:" field, like I didn't select anyone at all.

This only happens when selecting contacts that have more than just a single entry in their contact. I cannot select a contact off the drop down list when trying to create a text if the contact has:

a. Two phone numbers
    b. One phone number and an email address
    c. Two phone numbers and an email address

If the contact has just a single phone number, or even if they have just a single email address, then I can select them just fine.
    08-22-13 08:52 AM
    My apologies, as I thought I had a 9800, but apparently I have a 9810. It has 7.1 Bundle 1997 (V7.1.0.694, platform 5.1.0.507).

You mentioned: "To: start typing and when the name that you are wanting comes up on your list, use the trackpad to highlight it, then press trackpad to select it."

This is exactly what I do, but when I use the trackball to select the contact, the list of contacts disappears and it returns me to the "To:" field, like I didn't select anyone at all.

This only happens when selecting contacts that have more than just a single entry in their contact. I cannot select a contact off the drop down list when trying to create a text if the contact has:

a. Two phone numbers
    b. One phone number and an email address
    c. Two phone numbers and an email address

If the contact has just a single phone number, or even if they have just a single email address, then I can select them just fine.
    Ok I am going to ponder this for just a little bit and see what I might can help with. I too have the 9810 same os bundle and you. I have contacts with multiple entries and can select with no problem. There may be a setting that has gotten turned off.

How long have you had this phone and if you have had it a while, have you ever had this problem before?
    08-22-13 04:32 PM
    If you have been able to do this before and this is a new problem do the following in this order: (Disclaimer: these steps have worked for me when my phone acts up or freezes up but I cant be responsible if it doesn't work for you or if your phone becomes unresponsive - but these steps have been recommended by Blackberry in the past)

1) back up your device in your Desktop Manager
    2) hold down the "alt" button on the left side of your keyboard and while holding it down press lglg (that's a little L) then release the alt button. Wait for a log to come up on your phone. When it does press menu - clear log - yes to delete event log. When that is done you should have 2 entries left showing in the log E System and S system - leave those as is.
    3)return to home screen and with phone ON (not is sleep mode or screen lock) remove the back cover and do a battery pull
    4) wait about 10 minutes then put the batter back in
    5) phone should power up on its on and once it does try your sms again.
    6) post back here what happened
    08-22-13 04:56 PM
    You.... Are.... Awesome. That fixed it.

Thankss for your help!!!!!!
    moody likes this.
    08-22-13 08:55 PM
    You.... Are.... Awesome. That fixed it.

Thankss for your help!!!!!!
    YEA!!! I'm glad I could help!! Feels good to "pay it forward" LOL

Posted using my white Q10 via the very addicting CB10 app
    08-22-13 10:53 PM