So I looked around to try and figure out why I couldn't tether my Torch to my Macbook and still receive emails and BBM on my phone. I gotta say this really sucks because I tether all the time at work and kinda wish I had my old Bold back since it didn't have this limitation.

I went into the engineering screens and changed the IP Modem Solo Mode to disable which should allow BIS and tethering to happen and I can see the multiple connections happen in that screen but when I try to go to a website it says "The modem feature of the device is currently active. Please disconnect the modem and re-issue the request." and I have no network access on any of my apps (the blackberry icon disappears from beside the 3G indicator)

Any thoughts? Could it be because I bought my Torch on kijiji and the seller advertised it as a Telus phone (my carrier) but turned out it was unlocked from a carrier from Costa Rica.
    11-11-11 11:26 PM
    Mine tethers fine to my Lenovo LT.

You can see the BIS ICON. I was able to use my BB to send mail, use BBM and the BB browser. Only thing I couldn't do was use the phone (but we know that!).

Oh, and I'm doing it over a Bluetooth connection. I've never touched the engineering screens.
    Last edited by saudadeii; 11-12-11 at 10:28 AM.
    11-12-11 10:14 AM
    I've never had to go into the engineering screen when I had my Bold 9700 to get tethering and BIS to work at the same time, it just worked right out of the box. And even when I go into the engineering screen to change the setting, I still can't tether and use BIS at the same time..

Would downgrading the OS change this? I'm on 6.0.0.668

11-12-11 01:18 PM
    Can't be sure. I'm on .600.

Are you using the BB Desktop and USB to tether?
    11-12-11 01:55 PM
    i think it may be Mac related. guy in this thread has the same problem. post #8.

Blackberry 9780 tethering (modem mode) WORKS with BIS simultaneously!!!!!!
    11-13-11 04:29 AM
    Same Problem here . I disabled the IP Modem Solo Mode and still getting the same message "The modem feature of the device is currently active. Please disconnect the modem and re-issue the request." when i try to use my blackberry browser , any ideas ?
    08-24-13 02:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD