So I had to reload my 9800, and as I was going through reinstalling my applications, I noticed that Tether is no longer available for download. Is anyone else seeing this or am I the only one? This really sucks since I kinda needed it for tomorrow...
    06-25-11 02:11 AM
    Here is some info from other users about their tethering.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/tether-info-t-614246/
    06-25-11 03:11 AM
    That link is about the PlayBook's built in tethering system. Pretty sure the OP is talking about the app called Tether.

Looks like Tether app is blocked on ATT. No clue when it happened.

BlackBerry App World - Tether
    06-25-11 03:59 AM
    So I had to reload my 9800, and as I was going through reinstalling my applications, I noticed that Tether is no longer available for download. Is anyone else seeing this or am I the only one? This really sucks since I kinda needed it for tomorrow...
    Crappworld is not the only store for blackberry smartphones.

Tether for BlackBerry - Utilities BlackBerry Software

Get it fast, its on discout :0

Unless... you purchased it from bb appworld before and is not letting you download it now. If thats the case, write an email to the blackberry appworld customer service asking for a refund. It would be the first blackberry app store capable of not letting you have what you bought with your money. Or you could also write an email to the tether customer service and have them send you a link to download it.

If you already have the registration key and really need it, let me know and i will send you the cod files for you to install it, then you can use the registration key you got from appworld.
    Last edited by gbsn; 06-25-11 at 05:36 AM.
    06-25-11 04:41 AM
    Crappworld is not the only store for blackberry smartphones.

Tether for BlackBerry - Utilities BlackBerry Software

Get it fast, its on discout :0

Unless... you purchased it from bb appworld before and is not letting you download it now. If thats the case, write an email to the blackberry appworld customer service asking for a refund. It would be the first blackberry app store capable of not letting you have what you bought with your money. Or you could also write an email to the tether customer service and have them send you a link to download it.

If you already have the registration key and really need it, let me know and i will send you the cod files for you to install it, then you can use the registration key you got from appworld.
    sweet, I didn't think to look somewhere else for the app. Thanks!
    Last edited by swimmer160; 06-25-11 at 09:39 AM.
    06-25-11 09:34 AM
    Pfff even easier, they already have a link directly from their website hahaha

http://tether.com/t/tether.jad

Just open it with your phone and you are good to go.

For the windows client:
    http://tether.com/t/setupdrv.exe

For the mac client:
    http://tether.com/t/Tether.dmg
    06-25-11 09:41 AM
    Or simply set your phone up as a modem without an app. It is so incredibly easy, costs nothing and there are many posts here on Crackberry that tell you how to do it. Search and ye shall find.
    06-25-11 11:45 AM
    Or simply set your phone up as a modem without an app. It is so incredibly easy, costs nothing and there are many posts here on Crackberry that tell you how to do it. Search and ye shall find.
    You missed the whole point of the app.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-11 11:46 AM
    You missed the whole point of the app.

I guess I did, so enlighten me. I've been tethering for years with no issues without an app. Please tell me what I'm missing. I know I'm not missing the money I would have spent on the app.
    06-25-11 02:11 PM
    I guess I did, so enlighten me. I've been tethering for years with no issues without an app. Please tell me what I'm missing. I know I'm not missing the money I would have spent on the app.
    Ok mister i've been tethering for years with no issues. The whole point is that this app doesn't tether the same way the desktop manager does.

I'll take an example for at&t. The desktop manager makes the blackberry act as a modem, basically dial up network (dun), which directly uses at&t's network through a tethering port. For which at&t can detect such connection and you will need a tethering plan, or, you will be charged extra if you stay on too long or use it continously and don't have a tethering plan.

Tether app, just makes the phone work through BIS data directly and only (blackberry internet service), it doesn't use the dedicated at&t network like desktop manager tethering does. Basically, it doesn't act as a dial up modem, does not dials anywhere, so you don't need a tethering plan and you won't be charged extra unless you download 2 gigabytes of data in 2 hours.
    It is sort of like bridge browser on the playbook (not identical of course, similar in that they both use BIS and not at&t's network), except that you don't have the buggy software (blackberry bridge). It works really fast and your desktop browser is the one doing the whole rendering at any time.

It was blocked by at&t because it works like the bridge browser, for which its software (blackberry bridge) was also blocked by at&t on appworld for at&t users.

There is the "enlightenment". You won't get charged by at&t for tethering, just like on the bridge browser for the playbook.

Last edited by gbsn; 06-25-11 at 05:28 PM.
    rcab and LuisCast like this.
    06-25-11 02:31 PM
    Does anyone know if this Tether app works with the BlackBerry PlayBook? I have AT&T, which is blocking Bridge. I downloaded the OTA and have it working, but if Tether is faster I'd pay the one-time charge. Don't care that much about the seeing BB e-mail on the PB, as it is faster to type on the Torch!

06-25-11 08:18 PM
    Does anyone know if this Tether app works with the BlackBerry PlayBook? I have AT&T, which is blocking Bridge. I downloaded the OTA and have it working, but if Tether is faster I'd pay the one-time charge. Don't care that much about the seeing BB e-mail on the PB, as it is faster to type on the Torch!

Nope, client version only runs in windows or mac.

Xerxes10 likes this.
    06-25-11 08:29 PM
    Thanks for the info, figures that would be the case...

06-25-11 09:09 PM
    Ok mister i've been tethering for years with no issues. The whole point is that this app doesn't tether the same way the desktop manager does.

I'll take an example for at&t. The desktop manager makes the blackberry act as a modem, basically dial up network (dun), which directly uses at&t's network through a tethering port. For which at&t can detect such connection and you will need a tethering plan, or, you will be charged extra if you stay on too long or use it continously and don't have a tethering plan.

Tether app, just makes the phone work through BIS data directly and only (blackberry internet service), it doesn't use the dedicated at&t network like desktop manager tethering does. Basically, it doesn't act as a dial up modem, does not dials anywhere, so you don't need a tethering plan and you won't be charged extra unless you download 2 gigabytes of data in 2 hours.
    It is sort of like bridge browser on the playbook (not identical of course, similar in that they both use BIS and not at&t's network), except that you don't have the buggy software (blackberry bridge). It works really fast and your desktop browser is the one doing the whole rendering at any time.

It was blocked by at&t because it works like the bridge browser, for which its software (blackberry bridge) was also blocked by at&t on appworld for at&t users.

There is the "enlightenment". You won't get charged by at&t for tethering, just like on the bridge browser for the playbook.

I don't use the desktop manager to tether and never have. I have tethered on XP without Desktop Manager installed. It isn't necessary to use the phone for a Bluetooth DUN connection. I use it on my Mac the same way. DM is not used.

Searching will reveal that there is an easy and cheaper way to tether. I haven't been charged in three years of tethering.
    06-25-11 11:20 PM
    I don't use the desktop manager to tether and never have. I have tethered on XP without Desktop Manager installed. It isn't necessary to use the phone for a Bluetooth DUN connection. I use it on my Mac the same way. DM is not used.

Searching will reveal that there is an easy and cheaper way to tether. I haven't been charged in three years of tethering.
    Setting the phone as a modem means DUN, it doesn't have to be bluetooth, which means it will dial to at&t's tethering network, thats how the cellphone network works, you still need their credentials to connect. Which leaves you at the mercy of at&t since you are easily detectable, you are probably lucky or grandfathered, unless you are not dialing to at&t at all.

Now, i will reply the same way you did. If its so fee-proof, you should probably enlighten all of us with your super method, which i suppose is creating a new network connection with at&t APN credentials, using the blackberry modem drivers, which puts the blackberry on modem mode? Its still dun.
    If there is a way to connect to at&t's network without dialing a number or using their APN or any credentials, then sure, you got me there, which probably means, you are establishing a dsl/cable always on connection on a cellphone network? woow
    06-26-11 08:12 AM
    I'm with Mr. Hughes, I've tethered via DUN for 3 years or so and have never had a problem with being charged for this usage, despite it being a technical violation of AT&T's TOS. Unless you are relying on the Tether app as your sole Internet connection, it's a waste. Much simpler and easier to set up the BB as a modem (particularly w/Bluetooth) and be done with it for those times when you don't want to pay a hotel's wifi fee or what have you.
    06-27-11 06:44 AM

How do you tether without using Desktop Manager or Tether?
    06-27-11 01:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD