I would think that Research In Motion (RIM) the maker of the Blackberry Torch 9800 did Extensive Research in making the Torch 9800, RIM looked at the Hardware and Software concerns and for sure RIM looked at making this the Best Blackberry they could at this time (The Torch 9800) RIM's Goal was to make the Torch 9800 a Good and Enjoyable User Experience for us all, RIM is not done (the Process is ongoing), I say wait, Learn and Enjoy what you have for now in the Torch 9800 and know that you will enjoy it even more in the coming weeks with the Improvements we all know will be coming from RIM. We must all understand nothing is Perfect (Just look at my typing), we must take the TIME to LEARN how to OPERATE, USE and Enjoy the Torch 9800,Remember with any new devise (Remote Control, Game, Car or Even a New Cell Phone) it will takes TIME to Truly Understand what this Devise the Torch 9800 has to offer. So Please Invest the Time needed in Learning the Torch 9800 before making too many far out comments, IT'S ONLY BEEN 4 DAY THAT THE PHONE HAS BEEN OUT 4 DAYS! I love what I have seen of the Torch as I too learn how to use it and I am still just getting to know this Phone. We all know Blackberry (RIM), and understand their Process, we can look for Software (OS) and maybe even some Hardware Updates to the Torch 9800, these for sure will improve the operation and use of the Torch 9800, and may Address Some if not all of your Concerns. We can be looking for the Extended Battery and Door (you know that's coming) these and many more accessories will and are in the pipe line. "Remember the Torch 9800 is a Blackberry", so just take the time to know The Blackberry Torch 9800, I have learned you can Trust Blackberry (RIM), So Enjoy the Light from The Torch and be Enlighten. Juz Jose
    Last edited by juz1jose; 09-11-10 at 05:46 PM. Reason: corrected some errors
    08-15-10 10:04 PM
    I totally agree. At first the interface did look too busy but after two days I have gotten use to it and it is feeling much better.

You just need the time to get use to it. It is a bit different.
    08-16-10 08:22 AM
    I agree. I am noticing some software bugs here and there, but I'm pretty sure it will get fixed. Right now I'm just praying for a quick bluetooth update so that media streaming works correctly. If it's not fixed in 30 days the Torch goes back to the store.
    08-16-10 08:40 AM
    Within the first 20 minutes of picking mine up the hard keys actually fell off, so I was primed to be rid of this thing. I replaced it the next day, with much hesitation, but have found myself really enjoying this phone and am pretty sure it will be my daily driver soon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-10 08:53 AM
    I've had the Torch since the 12th. This is my third BB and I love it so far. It does what I need it to do better than my 9700. Are there things that could be better? Sure. But for what I needed I think RIM did a good job. I'm one of the older guys here that remembers having a 10 lb bag phone. I approach my phones as a communication device first and that's where the Torch excels. No problem with calls, e-mails, text and pulling stuff up online. My kids and wife are iPhone fans and use the multimedia stuff a lot. That's were a HD screen, fast processer, etc fits. I'm too old/blind to watch a movie on my phone. I think this is IMHO the best BB I've owned so far.
    08-16-10 09:18 AM
    Thanks for your Comments! I think we all will have better picture of the Blackberry Torch 9800 within 30 days!

Juz Jose
    08-16-10 11:09 PM
    i have the Torch since the 12th as well.. and i have been enjoying it..

the Problem is with the BB critics in this forum who will bash the phone no matter what.. whether it's 5 min or 5 days... Their iphone 4, Droid X, Samsung captivate is still far Superior..and they NEED to validate this every minute.
    08-16-10 11:32 PM
    the iphone, droid, and captivate are more toys than phones.

i may be getting old, but i don't care to watch movies on my cell phone. hd video is pointless on screen this size (including the droid x) since your eyes cannot see the hd quality anyway. I also work full time, so if i'm at work and can't watch movies, why would i choose a cell phone over my hd tv?

i stay with blackberry because it works. it runs office, it's great for messenging, the calendar is great, and the battery generally goes all day. on top of working on it, i can browse the web, listen to music, read a book and play a few games while stuck in the waiting room. what more do people honestly want that isn't trivial or "my phone is better than yours?"

the more you demand out of a device, the worse it will get. i like a multi-tasker like anyone else, but there's limits. remember tv/vcr combos? the vcr would break long before the tv, and you would generally have problems with the tv from then on out. some things just cause more problems together than they do apart.
    08-17-10 06:37 AM
    Here is the problem though. Every time RIM releases a new phone we have to deal with the problems (whether hardware or software related) until they either fix the software or release an update to the phone. Remember the Storm 1 launch? It was a disaster and it took RIM another year to fix it with the Storm 2.

I just don't understand why they can't do better quality control on their products to prevent this type of backlash.

With that being said, I do love mine and haven't had any problems with it. But for this many complaints you have to realize that these are not isolated incidents.
    08-17-10 07:19 AM
    the iphone, droid, and captivate are more toys than phones.

Pi may be getting old, but i don't care to watch movies on my cell phone. hd video is pointless on screen this size (including the droid x) since your eyes cannot see the hd quality anyway. I also work full time, so if i'm at work and can't watch movies, why would i choose a cell phone over my hd tv?

i stay with blackberry because it works. it runs office, it's great for messenging, the calendar is great, and the battery generally goes all day. on top of working on it, i can browse the web, listen to music, read a book and play a few games while stuck in the waiting room. what more do people honestly want that isn't trivial or "my phone is better than yours?"

the more you demand out of a device, the worse it will get. i like a multi-tasker like anyone else, but there's limits. remember tv/vcr combos? the vcr would break long before the tv, and you would generally have problems with the tv from then on out. some things just cause more problems together than they do apart.
    I don't think of my Vibrant as a toy. It pretty much does everything my 9700 does and more. I love my 9700, will not get rid of it (don't really like the torch) but times have changed and smartphones aren't just about business users and emails anymore, hence the reason for the torch, Rim's attempt to keep up and stay in the game. Truth is, if Rim released a high resolution screen with a 1ghz processor,there wouldn't be much complaining about it, and not only it would sell by the millions,but would bring back many bb users who have jumped ship to other platforms. I love Blackberry, i just wish they had more exciting phones in their line up. Im sure it will come.

Last edited by GG1; 08-17-10 at 08:00 AM.
    08-17-10 07:41 AM
    My two cents

08-17-10 08:02 AM
    Everyone's comments were Right on Point. We all know the Blackberry Torch may not be for everyone(Smile I find that hard to believe) but we can try to have as many customers as possible at lease take it out for a test drive. For those of us who are taking the Torch on it's test drive let's continue the ride and continue to get to know the Torch, let's really see what this unit can do. To RIM we must always continue to improve the process and the product we are never done "You are Never Done" (Do we need any Software or Hardware Upgrades for the Torch do we need them sooner or later RIM this is for you to answer), I know RIM has many people that are looking at this Website and Reviewing our Forums, you are seeing our comments and I hope you can feel what we are feeling love for the BB. We all want to be Proud to Say "I have a Blackberry", RIM you know what you need to do in the Future just Listen and Read our comments we have given you the keys to the City and most of all our trust, Remember we love our BB's and want to always be proud to stand and say "I have a Blackberry" help us to continue to be proud. Peace Out
    I will post these types of comment only once, that should be enough!!!!.......
    Juz Jose
    08-17-10 06:03 PM
    so if rim releases a phone with high resolution and 1ghz processor you will come back?
    well then see you in early march its going to be swt!
    08-17-10 06:21 PM
    I hope I'm not one of the few on here that realizes that the vast majority of negative comments in this forum are made by people that don't even have a Torch. Even many of the threads and posts reporting problems and bugs. They are very easy to pick out if you look at their post count and previous posts/threads.
    08-17-10 06:36 PM
    so if rim releases a phone with high resolution and 1ghz processor you will come back?
    well then see you in early march its going to be swt!
    Not sure if that is a response to my post but I haven't left, and not leaving either. I still own my pearl, tour and bold.I'm just waiting for rim's next best thing, unfortunately, its not the torch. As far as the high resolution screen and 1ghz processor,isn't it a standard now in the smartphone world? RIM was once a leader, now they are playing catch up. All that said, as a business tool alone....can't beat a Blackberry.

08-17-10 07:44 PM
    Not sure if that is a response to my post but I haven't left, and not leaving either. I still own my pearl, tour and bold.I'm just waiting for rim's next best thing, unfortunately, its not the torch. As far as the high resolution screen and 1ghz processor,isn't it a standard now in the smartphone world? RIM was once a leader, now they are playing catch up. All that said, as a business tool alone....can't beat a Blackberry.

Guess if the industry standard is watching videos, listening to music, and playing a lot of games, then 1 GHZ processor and higher resolution screen would be necessary. I agree that maybe the screen resolution might be in order. Again, back to the same old saying....everyone buys the type of phone they want based on THEIR needs and wants, so......if it is a Blackberry Torch, then that is the best phone (for me) , if it is another phone that sports 1ghz and high resolution, then it's the "best" phone for "you."

As far as RIM being an Industry Leader, IMO they still are. How many other phones out their have been hacked through messaging? NOT BLACKBERRY. How many other phones have one of the most stable OS's? Not many, if any. So, I guess it would be better to define what you mean by "industry leader."

I know you get this, just wanted to elaborate a bit. Thanks.
    09-05-10 05:58 PM
    Yah thats great, and all but once you have little bull**** problems like standby mode being done away with completely (wifi doesnt turn off at all now), and very sensitive Mute/Lock buttons that turn the phone on whenever you put it in your pocket. All these talks of "oh its a great phone because of this and that" go out the window.

Little things also like options being removed and glitchy software (being made too soon to abundently) all add up to a point where its just not the BlackBerry we used to know and love.
    09-05-10 06:19 PM
    Guess if the industry standard is watching videos, listening to music, and playing a lot of games, then 1 GHZ processor and higher resolution screen would be necessary. I agree that maybe the screen resolution might be in order. Again, back to the same old saying....everyone buys the type of phone they want based on THEIR needs and wants, so......if it is a Blackberry Torch, then that is the best phone (for me) , if it is another phone that sports 1ghz and high resolution, then it's the "best" phone for "you."

As far as RIM being an Industry Leader, IMO they still are. How many other phones out their have been hacked through messaging? NOT BLACKBERRY. How many other phones have one of the most stable OS's? Not many, if any. So, I guess it would be better to define what you mean by "industry leader."
    O
    I know you get this, just wanted to elaborate a bit. Thanks.
    I understand and agree to what you are saying but what if the Torch had come out with a screen equivalent to the retina display or super amoled displays along with a 1ghz processor, wouldn't it have suited more people's wants and needs? I know it isn't absolutely necessary but those higher specs are already out there on other platforms and many people want them. After all, Aren't the Torch commercials about business meeting fun? They just underpowered the fun part, but still a good device.

09-05-10 07:20 PM
    I understand and agree to what you are saying but what if the Torch had come out with a screen equivalent to the retina display or super amoled displays along with a 1ghz processor, wouldn't it have suited more people's wants and needs? I know it isn't absolutely necessary but those higher specs are already out there on other platforms and many people want them. After all, Aren't the Torch commercials about business meeting fun? They just underpowered the fun part, but still a good device.

why are so many people doing paper racing?
    following everyone's logic here that all smartphones should start with 1Ghz processor..
    then why.. the current leader in World.. producing a < 1Ghz
    smartphone?

here are the specs:

General 2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 3G Network HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 / 2100 / 1900 Announced 2010, April Status Coming soon. Exp. release 2010, October Size Dimensions 113.5 x 59.1 x 12.9 mm, 86 cc Weight 135 g Display Type AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors Size 360 x 640 pixels, 3.5 inches - Multi-touch input method
    - Proximity sensor for auto turn-off
    - Accelerometer sensor for UI auto-rotate
    - Scratch resistant Gorilla glass display Sound Alert types Vibration; MP3, WAV ringtones Speakerphone Yes - 3.5 mm audio jack Memory Phonebook Practically unlimited entries and fields, Photocall Call records Detailed, max 30 days Internal 16 GB storage, 256MB RAM, 512 MB ROM Card slot microSD, up to 32GB Data GPRS Class 33 EDGE Class 33 3G HSDPA, 10.2 Mbps; HSUPA, 2.0 Mbps WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, UPnP technology Bluetooth Yes, v3.0 with A2DP Infrared port No USB Yes, microUSB v2.0, USB On-the-go support Camera Primary 12 MP, 4000x3000 pixels, Carl Zeiss optics, autofocus, Xenon flash Features 1/1.83'' sensor size, ND filter, geo-tagging, face and smile detection Video Yes, 720p@25fps Secondary VGA videocall camera Features OS Symbian ^3 OS CPU ARM 11 680 MHz processor, 3D Graphics HW accelerator Messaging SMS (threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Email, IM Browser WAP 2.0/xHTML, HTML, RSS feeds Radio Stereo FM radio with RDS; FM transmitter Games Yes + downloadable Colors Dark Grey, Silver White, Green, Blue, Orange GPS Yes, with A-GPS support; Ovi Maps 3.0 Java Yes, MIDP 2.1 - TV-out (720p video) via HDMI and composite
    - Dolby Digital Plus via HDMI
    - Anodized aluminum casing
    - Digital compass
    - MP3/WMA/WAV/eAAC+ player
    - DivX/XviD/MP4/H.264/H.263/WMV player
    - Voice command/dial
    - Document viewer (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF)
    - Video/photo editor
    - Flash Lite v4.0
    - T9 Battery Standard battery, Li-Ion 1200 mAh (BL-4D) Stand-by Up to 390 h (2G) / Up to 400 h (3G) Talk time Up to 12 h 30 min (2G) / Up to 5 h 30 min (3G) Music play Up to 50 h Misc SAR US 1.09 W/kg (head) 0.85 W/kg (body) SAR EU 1.02 W/kg (head) Price group
    09-05-10 09:54 PM
    I tried the Captivate for a couple of weeks - great phone, awesome screen, nice features and apps (I had it rooted, and installed Mobile AP which makes it into a mobile hotspot). I can see Android pushing past iOS pretty soon. BUT, where it mattered to ME, it was a bit short - can't search for a string on the company name (only the first word of the company name is searcheable), no company name listing on the contacts' list (just first and last name) - both of these made finding a contact in my address book quite hard... slow email (some emails literally took overnight to get delivered to my phone)... I HAD to switch back to BB, because, lest we forget, it's still a PHONE and we need it to communicate!! Torch is not perfect (I don't believe any phone will ever be perfect, after all, we in these forums LOVE technology, and what fun would it be if we could never upgrade??), but for now, it was the best choice for me.
    09-05-10 10:59 PM
    why are so many people doing paper racing?
    following everyone's logic here that all smartphones should start with 1Ghz processor..
    then why.. the current leader in World.. producing a < 1Ghz
    smartphone?
    Very good point mark, apparently the 1ghz isn't necessary because the Torch is very good with memory management.
    This makes me chuckle when I read people complain of the lack of processor in the Torch when it loads a web page maybe what? .7 seconds slower than a 1P4
    09-05-10 11:31 PM
    Using the Torch is like tasting wine..you need time for it to evolve..it tastes better everyday.

09-06-10 01:59 AM
    I got my Torch at launch and I've been using it ever since. Only thing I had to get used to was the shorter battery life than my 9700, but since I can carry a spare battery and pop it in myself I know I have an option if I run out of juice.
    What mystifies me is the reasoning behind these people who want to force you into agreeing to their definition of what I should want in a phone. There are Androids up the wazoo out there, and there are what...three flavours of iPhone floating around out there? If I wanted one of those, if I needed the retinal display (which is incredibly gorgeous by the way) I would buy one of those. I'm a grown up, I can easily certainly afford any device I want. I have not once wanted to watch a movie on a phone. I similarly don't need to shoot off world annihilation weaponry from my phone, so it's powerful plenty for what I want.
    For the apps I need, to the day to day things I need, to stay in touch with the people in my life, to keep me in track with family and friends' activities and to get me to those activities, the Torch is perfect.
    There has been one lock up with this phone, and that was immediately after I got it. It doesn't faze me, it's not a big deal, it hasn't happened since. No freezing, no lock up, no clock - multitasks effortlessly.

The naysayers really need to buy the device they want and should try to stop dictating their views on the rest of us. Nothing out there does what I need/want like a Blackberry. When I find something else that does, I'll buy that.
    09-06-10 04:46 AM
    I got my Torch at launch and I've been using it ever since. Only thing I had to get used to was the shorter battery life than my 9700, but since I can carry a spare battery and pop it in myself I know I have an option if I run out of juice.
    What mystifies me is the reasoning behind these people who want to force you into agreeing to their definition of what I should want in a phone. There are Androids up the wazoo out there, and there are what...three flavours of LpiPhone floating around out there? If I wanted one of those, if I needed the retinal display (which is incredibly gorgeous by the way) I would buy one of those. I'm a grown up, I can easily certainly afford any device I want. I have not once wanted to watch a movie on a phone. I similarly don't need to shoot off world annihilation weaponry from my phone, so it's powerful plenty for what I want.
    For the apps I need, to the day to day things I need, to stay in touch with the people in my life, to keep me in track with family and friends' activities and to get me to those activities, the Torch is perfect.
    There has been one lock up with this phone, and that was immediately after I got it. It doesn't faze me, it's not a big deal, it hasn't happened since. No freezing, no lock up, no clock - multitasks effortlessly.

The naysayers really need to buy the device they want and should try to stop dictating their views on the rest of us. Nothing out there does what I need/want like a Blackberry. When I find something else that does, I'll buy that.
    I agree 100% with you. Unfortunately, the Torch got wrongfully hammered with negative reviews because of the processor and screen ,and I for one would have liked to see the opposite happen. All I'm saying is...it would have been nice. I think since this is a new phone, new form factor, many were expecting something new under the hood also, whether its a 1ghz or not. I'm out of a Blackberry right now so I'm waiting to see what's next on RIM'S lineup so I can once again have a nice bb in my pocket.

09-06-10 09:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD