I currently use an iPhone and have been looking to try out something new. The Torch 9800 was going to be my first blackberry! I was really excited about the 9800 allowing me to keep the touch features while still giving me a chance to acclimate to the BB style physical keypad. Checked out the phone this morning in the AT&T store and like what I saw, so I was told them to ring one up at the no commitment price of 499.99. I am eligible for full upgrade pricing (about 3 months left in my iPhone contract), but I really don't want to lock into another 2 year contract since I have been considering switching to Verizon, primarily because of 3G coverage in my area.

Things were going good until another sales associate stepped in and told the one assisting me that I could not purchase the phone outright, but I HAD to upgrade or be a new customer?? Only phone I have seen this happen with in a retail store is the iPhone. He said "check back in a week or so.." and by then they may be able to sell me the phone?! He claims that it was "an email from corporate" telling them not to sell the phone outright.

Seems kind of crazy when you have a customer of AT&T for the past 5 years ready to pay full price for a phone and you tell them no! I was at the store 30 minutes after opening and there was only 1 other customer there. No lines, no feeding frenzy for the new phone. Maybe they have extremely limited stock. I may try a different location this afternoon, but I am afraid of encountering the same scenario.
    08-12-10 12:31 PM
    Yeah, if this store does not want to sell it to you, then go to another store that does. It's their lost on a customer.
    08-12-10 12:35 PM
    Yeah I heard about them doing that. At some VZW stores they did the same for the X. I think nowadays carriers are trying to sell first to people who are extending their contract or are starting a new one. After a couple days then they sell to anyone. And you're right it could also be a supply issue where they only have a few and those are only for upgrades and new customers. That sucks though.
    08-12-10 12:36 PM
    Just gotta keep searching. I had to go to 4 AT&T stores 'til I found one that would sell me a Palm Pre Plus for no commitment pricing.
    08-12-10 12:37 PM
    Yeah, if this store does not want to sell it to you, then go to another store that does. It's their lost on a customer.
    Do this. I've had the very same situation with Telus, majority of Telus reps seems to be jerks for some reason even when asking for a SIM card.

Is there writing anywhere on AT&T's website or at the store that says you must be a new customer or be upgrading to purchase at outright price? If not, then that rep is being an a..
    08-12-10 12:37 PM
    Another reason AT&T bites.
    08-12-10 12:40 PM
    AT&T is a bunch of idiots some times, they do this to me all the time because I refuse to have a contract. They want to give the phones to the customer who is locked in for 2 years with a $350 ETF and mandatory data plan so they can make more $. The margin on the phone is not very high, so you buying it outright is not super exciting to them.

I always turn it around on them telling them to check my billing history that's prefect for years, because there is almost always someone in the other line trying to get this or that not turned on for not paying on time.

Call another store and keep trying, don't go to Best Buy. They add a ridiculous margin onto the phone and generally won't price match.
    08-12-10 12:46 PM
    So enter a new contract and get the phone for $199.
    If you decide to jump ship after only 3 months, it's cheaper to pay the ETF and the $199 contract price than to buy at the no-commitment price.

(Remember it's a declining ETF -$10 per completed month)
    08-12-10 12:53 PM
    ...sorry to hear that. Seems AT&T, like many other carriers, are looking at the long term payoff.

Albeit, I bet you if you went to AT&T in a few weeks, they would sell it, i.e. once the hype has died off.
    08-12-10 12:55 PM
    Same happends to me. The reps just manually enters the price with a note. He noticed that "obiously" my account was able for an upgrade.
    08-12-10 12:58 PM
    It doesnt really surprise me. The money they make from outright sales doesnt compare to what they make from contracts, thats how it was explained to me anyway. So it makes sense from their standpoint anyway that they'd want to hold out for people extending.
    08-12-10 12:58 PM
    ah, the perfect thread to post my scenario into.

Arrived at AT&T, no real line... just reps moving sloww and a few clueless customers. After waiting a while, I get to a rep and anticipating bs, told her I want to buy a Torch outright for my dad's b'day. 1st I get the "are you sure you do not wish to upgrade contract etc. I said no". She tells me it'll be $499 before tax (and here's the 1st catch) and you cannot get it here, it will be shipped to you in 3-5 business days.

So I proceed to suggest that my dad's bday is in 2 days and I am leaving the USA tomorrow, I would really like to give him it today. I got the full "no can't do's" until eventually I received the "would you like to speak to manager?" to which I said yes. She returns to tell me manager is on meeting call and cannot come now and is basically saying it looks like a no. I said I'll wait. She returns after a bit with a smile saying manager agreed, you can get it today.

Here comes 2nd catch. You cannot buy a "no contract" phone without having a data plan (which of course requires contract). I shake my head, game face back up, ask if I cant get the phone and my dad comes in an sorts it out himself as he has AT&T account. Admittably very nice (and cute) saleslady tells me no, but he can authorise you to make changes on his account.

So, I call dad and he does such. I added the lowest package. Pay for phone + exorbitant city sales tax. Remove box from bright orange bag and place in a different bag where it cannot be seen and walk over to other AT&T outlet. Calmly tell teller, I would like to remove BB data package from dad's account, he doesn't need it anymore.

After backflipping and hula hooping through 50 orange fruitloops and the cartwheels through 20 cheddar rings today, I now own my Torch which I shall unlock shortly. Battle of the wits- I win.

Yet another reason y AT&T sucks (no offense cute saleslady)
    08-12-10 01:25 PM

Arrived at AT&T, no real line... just reps moving sloww and a few clueless customers. After waiting a while, I get to a rep and anticipating bs, told her I want to buy a Torch outright for my dad's b'day. 1st I get the "are you sure you do not wish to upgrade contract etc. I said no". She tells me it'll be $499 before tax (and here's the 1st catch) and you cannot get it here, it will be shipped to you in 3-5 business days.

So I proceed to suggest that my dad's bday is in 2 days and I am leaving the USA tomorrow, I would really like to give him it today. I got the full "no can't do's" until eventually I received the "would you like to speak to manager?" to which I said yes. She returns to tell me manager is on meeting call and cannot come now and is basically saying it looks like a no. I said I'll wait. She returns after a bit with a smile saying manager agreed, you can get it today.

Here comes 2nd catch. You cannot buy a "no contract" phone without having a data plan (which of course requires contract). I shake my head, game face back up, ask if I cant get the phone and my dad comes in an sorts it out himself as he has AT&T account. Admittably very nice (and cute) saleslady tells me no, but he can authorise you to make changes on his account.

So, I call dad and he does such. I added the lowest package. Pay for phone + exorbitant city sales tax. Remove box from bright orange bag and place in a different bag where it cannot be seen and walk over to other AT&T outlet. Calmly tell teller, I would like to remove BB data package from dad's account, he doesn't need it anymore.

After backflipping and hula hooping through 50 orange fruitloops and the cartwheels through 20 cheddar rings today, I now own my Torch which I shall unlock shortly. Battle of the wits- I win.

Good for you! I will go to my nearest AT&T store today & see if I can do the same.. except I do not wanna add anything to an account since we're not talking about my dad, I'll just be using my friend as a back-up!
    08-12-10 01:36 PM
    good luck... don't let the frustration overcome.
    08-12-10 01:44 PM
    The new ETF for any smartphone now is $325.00, I just found that out the hard way!!!!

I hate AT&T!!!!
    08-12-10 01:46 PM
    So enter a new contract and get the phone for $199.
    If you decide to jump ship after only 3 months, it's cheaper to pay the ETF and the $199 contract price than to buy at the no-commitment price.

(Remember it's a declining ETF -$10 per completed month)
    +1. You people WANT to give AT&T MORE of your money, and SOONER?
    08-12-10 01:48 PM
    Same thing here in California, walked in cash in hand with my 2 year old Bold 9000 and asked for the 9800 said I have a corp account but I want to buy it outright they said no can do. They let me walk right out, Well I guess no sale for them.

This past weekend I walked by a Kiosk at the mall and the ATT rep saw me and asked if I still had my Bold. How they remember me I'll never know. We talked about the 9800. I will swing by there today and see if he can hook me up.

Still can't believe they won't sell the phone.
    08-12-10 01:50 PM
    The new ETF for any smartphone now is $325.00, I just found that out the hard way!!!!

I hate AT&T!!!!
    See my Amazon + Torch + Early termination thread...

you mayyy be able to switch it to 150, if u put the new account's sim into a 'dumbphone'. Not sure tho, u gotta ask customer care... have fun with that.
    08-12-10 02:03 PM

Good for you man!
    08-12-10 02:09 PM
    Update:

Went into a different AT&T store and bought it outright with no problem.

As far as it being cheaper to upgrade then pay ETF later if I change my mind, that may be the case; however, I just prefer not to tie myself into a contract again, and If did upgrade, I would probably get the iPhone to have both phones for myself or give the iPhone as a gift.

Either way I am just happy the other store was more cooperative. Now if AT&T could actually provide 3G service where I am sitting now...i'd be happy!
    08-12-10 04:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD