Does ATT allow people who do not have contracts with them purchase phones outright?
    08-07-10 03:35 AM
    I think you have to have an acount even if you buy at the no commit price.
    08-07-10 06:49 AM
    You can always go on eBay and purchase from a reputable dealer there.
    08-07-10 07:52 AM
    i just got off the phone today and she said confirmed saying that you can buy the phone out right as long as your account with them.
    08-07-10 08:47 AM
    Nope.
    you can't unless you have an existing account.
    But you can at BestBuy.
    or any store online.
    08-07-10 08:51 AM
    Honestly, I think that's just really crappy customer service. To not let a consumer buy a product out right at full cost because they do not have an account is ridiculous.
    08-07-10 09:45 AM
    marketing strategy.
    they know you want it ( whether it's a Torch or an iphone 4)
    and they want you to sign a contract with them.
    and get a mandatory data plan..
    and pay the ETF of $325.
    the list goes on..
    even for Verizon, Sprint etc
    08-07-10 09:59 AM
    marketing strategy.
    and pay the ETF of $325.
    the list goes on..
    If you buy it out right, there is no contract and no ETF.
    08-07-10 10:02 AM
    Honestly, I think that's just really crappy customer service. To not let a consumer buy a product out right at full cost because they do not have an account is ridiculous.
    Rules and policies are such an obstacle and provide order to chaos. What a PITB.

On a more serious note, since the Torch is initially going to be released and may have the same exclusivity as the i4, would it not be necessary to have an AT&T account? Otherwise, it would be an expensive paperweight.
    08-07-10 10:13 AM
    Rules and policies are such an obstacle and provide order to chaos. What a PITB.

On a more serious note, since the Torch is initially going to be released and may have the same exclusivity as the i4, would it not be necessary to have an AT&T account? Otherwise, it would be an expensive paperweight.
    Nope. Some might want to buy it, unlock it, and use it on their current contract with a different carrier.
    08-07-10 11:01 AM
    If it is not compatible with another network, what is the point? Just asking.
    08-07-10 11:59 AM
    You can unlock it to work with other GSM networks, like T-Mobile. YOu may not be able to use the 3G bands, but at least you've got the newest phone on the block.
    08-07-10 12:07 PM
    It would work with 2G on T-Mobile and all 3 of the major Canadian carriers. I can see a bunch of Canadians buying it ahead of it being released in Canada.
    08-07-10 12:07 PM
    marketing strategy.
    and pay the ETF of $325.
    the list goes on..
    EFT with AT&T is $175.....at least it is with me.
    08-07-10 03:23 PM
    I was able to get an 2S without an account from Verizon. Seems like a pointless AT&T policy.
    08-07-10 04:40 PM
    They just started their new ETFs and raised the prices on them for smartphones.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-10 05:25 PM
    My ETF is $95 haha. But, I might get sucked into a Torch.
    08-07-10 10:43 PM
    we actually have the same ETF of $175, but i'm pretty sure it's less than $30 by now unless you're still in contract.
    they changed the ETF when they released the iphone 4.
    of course, nobody read the fineprint.. and the apple geniuses or the AT&T employees won't start their sales ptich by saying.. "oh one more thing! we increased your ETF to $325.."
    i bet most people don't know that.
    it gets lower though, as you continue with your contract.. $10/month..
    meaning if you decide to cancel on the 23rd month of your 24 months commitment.. you still need to pay them $95/line
    Don't you just love AT&T? they solved the problem of drop calls.. by.. raising the ETF for consumers.. clap clap clap!
    08-07-10 10:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD