I am about to sell my 9800 for a 9900 purchase. Been reading the CrackBerry posts and found the following article:

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-how-switch-devices

One question: once I sell my 9800 tomorrow, it will take a few days before the new BlackBerry 9900 arrives. The way I understand the process in the link above is that you need to have both in hand and take do the switch device process in Desktop Manager. Is there a way to store the device backup from the old one in a file and then be able to transfer it to the new device later? Risk is, I start the switch device process, in during the few days in between, my PC crashes (never say never with Windows) and I have lost my capability to restore the settings and application to my new device.

Any ideas? Or is there a better way of doing this?
    06-05-12 07:01 AM
    You can save the backup and it should restore regardless of delays. However, for a smooth switch you need to use the Device Switch wizard on the BIS website to migrate the old device out of your account and the new one in. From memory that means having both devices in hand together, and it will remove the old phone and activate the new one.

Otherwise you MUST have your network remove the outgoing phone from your BIS account so the buyer can activate it - you could then add your new one when it arrives. I don't know any way you (user) can simply delete an existing device from BIS without substituting a new one, and you really don't want to hand it over while it is still getting your emails and messages. Simply removing your email accounts doesn't work, it will not allow the buyer to register the phone to his BIS account because it will still be registered to you.
    06-05-12 07:40 AM
    You can save the backup and it should restore regardless of delays. However, for a smooth switch you need to use the Device Switch wizard on the BIS website to migrate the old device out of your account and the new one in. From memory that means having both devices in hand together, and it will remove the old phone and activate the new one.

Otherwise you MUST have your network remove the outgoing phone from your BIS account so the buyer can activate it - you could then add your new one when it arrives. I don't know any way you (user) can simply delete an existing device from BIS without substituting a new one, and you really don't want to hand it over while it is still getting your emails and messages. Simply removing your email accounts doesn't work, it will not allow the buyer to register the phone to his BIS account because it will still be registered to you.
    06-05-12 07:40 AM
    Thanks for the reply. Let me see if I understood it correctly:

- So if perform a security wipe of my device (after taking the SIM card out), then there is no way that my e-mails would come to the BlackBerry, even if the device remains registered to the current network provider

- To remove the device, I need to ask the network provider (given that there is a delay between selling the old BB and getting a new BB) so that the new user can register?

Right?
    06-05-12 10:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD