On my Torch 9800 and I constantly get the little clock icon, extremely slow responses, and the battery drains within a very short period of time. I have pulled the battery out a few times with no improvement. What can I do to fix this condition?
    Last edited by Red Horn; 01-23-13 at 02:09 PM.
    01-23-13 01:43 PM
    9800 or 9810??
    01-23-13 01:54 PM
    It is 9800
    01-23-13 02:10 PM
    The 9800 is a slow phone...no way around that I had one and loved it but did get the "hourglass" from time to time. The battery drain could be one of two things: 1. your battery is dieing, they don't last forever and it might need to be replaced. My girlfriend has had her 9800 for over 2 years and we had to replace her battery about 8 months ago, fixed the issue. 2. you have some app running in the background, have you installed anything new or updated an older app?? It could also be an OS issue, when is the last time you updated??

I would check your apps first, then try the OS update and IF you are planning on upgrading to BB10 I would find a cheap knockoff battery to get you by until then. If you are going to hold on to the phone for longer though I would get the OEM replacement battery.

Good luck, let us know how things turn out!
    01-23-13 02:20 PM
    another thing that might help is go into options, device, storage and turn off compression. that can help with the hourglass, it did on my 9700
    01-23-13 02:27 PM
    Replaced battery about three months ago. Phone was new Dec 2010. Have learned to live with phone being underpowered overall, but there is definitely something wrong now. I have been down with the flu and about twenty or so messages of various nature queued up. When I picked up phone there was some sort of black text on white background BlackBerry download message and I have no clue what I did with it. Phone is almost inoperable now, wait icon is present intermittently even when phone is idle, typing texts it is two to three words behind on displaying what was typed, and browser will not launch. For the first time back in October I loaded the BlackBerry software onto my computer and refreshed everything. This gave me a noticeable boost in efficiency. Unfortunately due to others use of computers for non productive reasons all computers were wiped clean in preparation for a internet lock-down. So basically the only machine I have access to does me no good. How do I check to see if a rouge app is running?
    Last edited by Red Horn; 01-24-13 at 03:17 PM.
    01-24-13 01:22 PM
    Options, Device, Application Management, Scroll right to CPU usage now, should give an idea of whats running,
    also under device look at About to see what software version your running,

is possible that you have filled the internal memory up and the phones runnng slow due to having a lot to process?? mines a little lethargic at times but its not what id say is Slow, not lghtening fast, but perfectly acceptable,
    01-25-13 07:14 AM
    I have tried everything I can think of. Booted into "safe mode", took out SIM, connected to PC to backup, and deleted as much stuff as could.

Application Storage = 193.1 MB Free
    Built-In Media = 3.7 GB total, 3.6 GB Free
    Compression Disabled

Phone gets noticable warm at bottom (opposite end of battery) even while not in use. I have determined the CPU has gone down hill.
    01-26-13 12:21 PM
    I have determined the CPU has gone down hill.
    Bummer. Since you've covered the basics, I was going to suggest wipe/reinstall. I know I need to do that to freshen up my 9800 until BB10 devices are available.
    01-28-13 02:48 PM
    After someone suggested how to see what was running I found that Google Maps had been active for a few days even-though I had not utilized the app in weeks. This was creating the problem.
    02-07-13 12:46 PM
    After someone suggested how to see what was running I found that Google Maps had been active for a few days even-though I had not utilized the app in weeks. This was creating the problem.
    i had similar problem with battery, it was drained in hours, even when mostly on stand by...
    in my case it was BB Messenger, it somehow got updated to a 7.0 version,
    and it was running constantly in the background taking up to 85% of CPU
    (phone/battery was fine with BBM 5.0 before update).
    i believe there is no way to turn BBM off/on so i deleted it, and problem's gone. i wasn't using BBM anyway.
    great suggestion by pastycat to check CPU usage, post#7
    02-07-13 03:18 PM