Hi, all

Been a Bold 9000 user (on ATT) for around 2 years now. Great phone, but I've dropped it one too many times, and it's getting buggy now. Love the touch screen/vertical slider concept of the TORCH, since retaining a physical keyboard with improved multimedia and one-hand usability is high on my wish list. Have a BES at work and have used BB for past five years and want to stay with that platform (wife has Android, friends have iPhone--not swayed by either so far).

My concerns:
    --US versions of TORCH seem to be shipping with .141 instead of .246, which apparently is a game-changer in terms of speed/flow/smoothness of operation. Anyone know when ATT plans to ship the TORCH with .246?? I could certainly download and install the leaked version of .246 myself, but just curious... Anyone have any problems with .246??

--Loss of BIS. Haven't read through the forums to understand why this has been happening with some TORCH phones. Intermittent/random loss of internet connectivity for undetermined reason would be a deal-breaker for me. Has this issue been squashed yet? Is there a fix (other than trading in phones multiple times)??

--ATT network. Have considered switching to Verizon, but am not wowed by any of their phone options (the Samsung Fascinate and Droid Incredible are pretty neat, but not what I'm looking for...). Anyone know if they will be getting a TORCH clone in the near future? Also, if rumors hold and Verizon does indeed get a CDMA version of the iPhone in early 2011, it may have an interesting effect on network dynamics. Polls have shown that up to 30% of ATT iPhone users would pay penalties and switch to Verizon's network. Wouldn't this "decongest" ATTs airwaves, making it less prone to the overcrowding problems folks describe nowadays? I may have this completely wrong, so more tech savvy folks please correct me...

That's the main issues I can think of for now. Would really appreciate any feedback.
    09-30-10 10:04 AM
    Hold off if you can and see what RIM has planned with QNX on handheld devices.
    09-30-10 10:05 AM
    No issues with OS .141 but will load the official OS when it is released.

No issues at all with BIS.

Unless the S3 is the CDMA Torch, VZW will not likely get the Torch.

It is also possible that an OS update in the near future could contain QNX code for the Torch.

There really is no upside to waiting.
    09-30-10 10:11 AM
    Except the Torch is really subpar at best considering its $200 price point and it's equally priced competition.

Wait.
    09-30-10 10:31 AM
    Except the Torch is really subpar at best considering its $200 price point and it's equally priced competition.

Wait.

...depending on what you use your phone for. My Torch is completely on par for what I need/want out of a phone.

It's really up to you. If you would be purchasing the phone with a 30 day trial period, I'd say give it a try. If not, be sure to play with it a lot in the store and see if it's right for you.
    09-30-10 10:35 AM
    Have you actually browsed on an iPhone 4 next to a Torch. It's a joke.
    09-30-10 10:40 AM
    I have no idea what you are referring to. My wife has the i4. I played around with it for several days. Nice device. It does have a better screen, but beyond that I don't see anything special. There are things each phone does better, but that's been discussed extensively in other threads.

For my needs, given the option of either phone I'd take the Torch, even if I didn't use it for business. I say that as a fan of many Apple products. Maybe you feel differently, but it's disingenuous for you to suggest that everyone else should share your opinion.
    09-30-10 10:53 AM
    Sorry, what exactly is QNX and what effect might it have on the device's user experience??

I hear the arguments about browsing experience differences vs iP4. The iPhone is quicker and graphics sharper but the renderings seem to be similar. My phone browsing tasks are limited to some select sites for news, sports scores, and of course "crackberry" . I really like the "double tap" feature on the BB browser which wraps the text into an enlarged mobile view (iPhone doesn't have this).
    09-30-10 11:05 AM

Wait.
    For which phone??
    09-30-10 11:07 AM
    Wait to see what RIM plans to do with the new QNX OS and see if it will trickle down to phones in the near future.
    09-30-10 11:12 AM
    Now obviously the apple and android fanboys r going to put rim down...basically u've been with blackberry u know the basic phone features...take those and now the browsing is a hundred times better than it ever was...people say wait for QNX its not comming for a while...Rim has already said they will release an os7 as a transition os before they go to qnx all the way...so expect atleast another year before u see any signs of qnx...the torch is a great phone despite some posts u may read...first you are correct you will want to make sure the device is upgraded to either .225 or .246 from what i understand .225 has better battery so i stuck with it and yes BIS does drop maybe once a week for me but its nothing a reset or closing connections and restarting doesn't fix. originally u had to do a system restore with .141 but the newer os versions are addressing the issues.
    Beyond that I've had this phone from day 1 I love it won't take it back and use it very heavily...Media functions are used all the time...pandora streams through my cars bluetooth...watch movies on planes...review pdf and office files all day long...its a very versatile phone...the only benefit i can think of if u get an iphone is the screen res...as for lag and speed of the phone its non existent after u upgrade the os.
    09-30-10 11:28 AM
    I also want to know if I should get the Torch. I am using the Curve 8900 and was thinking about upgrading to the Torch. I checked it out in the store and texting seems awkward to me with the way the phone slides open and the way you have to hold it to text. I wished the phone slid open sideways like other phones instead of the way it opens now.

Does anyone else find texting awkward on this phone? Does it take getting used to or is it always a pain to text?

I can get the Torch or wait for the new Curve 3g.
    09-30-10 11:38 AM
    I also want to know if I should get the Torch. I am using the Curve 8900 and was thinking about upgrading to the Torch. I checked it out in the store and texting seems awkward to me with the way the phone slides open and the way you have to hold it to text. I wished the phone slid open sideways like other phones instead of the way it opens now.

Does anyone else find texting awkward on this phone? Does it take getting used to or is it always a pain to text?

I think it's pretty much the same as any other BB, just that the keyboard area is much thinner, but you get used to it very quickly. I came from a 9000 and took to it instantly. I would think a horizontal slider would take more getting used to than the vertical coming from any standard BB.
    09-30-10 11:44 AM
    Yes if you need a replacement now for your BOLD 9000.
    No if you can wait.
    09-30-10 11:47 AM

Are you only concerned about the keyboard? If so you're probably better off going to a store and trying the device for yourself. I got the Torch after using a Curve 8350i for a year and a half. Keyboard is a little more cramped, but that's a tradeoff I'm happy with to get the screen and OS. I personally would not be happy without a physical keyboard. But I'm guessing the iFans will be happy to tell you about their keyboard
    09-30-10 11:51 AM
    Now obviously the apple and android fanboys r going to put rim down...basically u've been with blackberry u know the basic phone features...take those and now the browsing is a hundred times better than it ever was...people say wait for QNX its not comming for a while...Rim has already said they will release an os7 as a transition os before they go to qnx all the way...so expect atleast another year before u see any signs of qnx...the torch is a great phone despite some posts u may read...first you are correct you will want to make sure the device is upgraded to either .225 or .246 from what i understand .225 has better battery so i stuck with it and yes BIS does drop maybe once a week for me but its nothing a reset or closing connections and restarting doesn't fix. originally u had to do a system restore with .141 but the newer os versions are addressing the issues.
    Beyond that I've had this phone from day 1 I love it won't take it back and use it very heavily...Media functions are used all the time...pandora streams through my cars bluetooth...watch movies on planes...review pdf and office files all day long...its a very versatile phone...the only benefit i can think of if u get an iphone is the screen res...as for lag and speed of the phone its non existent after u upgrade the os.
    Thanks for the thorough response. Pretty much hit on all the issues that concern my use of this device.

Do you or anyone know if there's a keystroke for "soft reset" on the Torch? For my bold I hit (L-alt + R-shift + del), and the phone re-boots without needing to pull the battery.
    09-30-10 11:57 AM
    just got my torch from bell mobil - best phone ive ever used.

I'll write a review in a few days of use.
    09-30-10 12:02 PM
    Thanks for the thorough response. Pretty much hit on all the issues that concern my use of this device.

Do you or anyone know if there's a keystroke for "soft reset" on the Torch? For my bold I hit (L-alt + R-shift + del), and the phone re-boots without needing to pull the battery.
    yup that works as well...never new about that i always just use quickpul but just tried ur technique worked like a charm...phone is rebooting
    09-30-10 12:45 PM
    Expectations that the Torch would be the i4 killer are the joke. Talk about intolerance to different opinions. It is up to each owner to decide what is best for him/her. There are plenty of dissatisfied i4 owners turning to the Torch.
    09-30-10 03:15 PM
    Expectations that the Torch would be the i4 killer are the joke. Talk about intolerance to different opinions. It is up to each owner to decide what is best for him/her. There are plenty of dissatisfied i4 owners turning to the Torch.
    this is just my opinion.
    i think those who thought/believed that the Torch will be an iphone killer have reserved biases to begin with..
    they are iphone 4/ Android owners to begin with or are seriously considering on getting an iphone 4/ Android instead.
    10-01-10 08:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD