I went back and fourth about 30 times on this but finally fell on the side of returning it. I really like a lot about OS6 but in the end it was just a little to laggy for me. Most of the delays were only a second or two every once in a while when changing applications or jumping back to the home screen, but when you are trying to get something done that becomes incredibly annoying. Then on top of that when it was not lagging just the fact of the animations slowed things down that much more. Not because they lagged but because the animation in themselves were programmed to be what seems to be about 250 miliseconds and when you start flipping through a whole bunch of screens that time can quickly add up. It especially showed when trying to alt-tab back and fourth between two programs you are working with. The app swithcer would have to fade in and then fade back out as it was switching apps, that takes a whole half of second just to give you some eye candy. You do that same thing on os5 and it just switches, no frills just speed and efficiency.

I had a whole slew of other issues with the device but the good news is it seems most issues can be addressed via software updates but I don't have time to wait, I need a phone I can get work done on right now. Not all things were software related though, like I wasn't too keen on their choice of processor and screen resolution. I mean they are exact carbon copies of many many many of their other phones (which are running much smaller screens and older OS's). A new modern OS needs to be paired with a more modern display and cpu combo not just recycled parts from years ago.

I was also just not completely sold on the slide out keyboard, to many times did that just add another step to a task I was doing instead of just typing or launching a shortcut I had to stop slide out the keyboard and then continue what I was trying to do. That and the lack of a left side convenience key really blew my mind, I wish there was even more convenience keys than 2 but never less than 2. Either give us more convenience keys or let us create our own custom shortcuts using the keyboard keys.

With all that said I traded down to the bold 9700 and love it. It is everything I loved about my bold 9000 just improved in a few minor areas and nothing that i did not like on the 9800.
    08-29-10 12:38 AM
    Well at least your hesad is in the right place and you got a blackberry thing is your 9700 will see os6 sooner or later so really you just traded in your touch screen

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-10 03:46 AM
    ...the lack of a left side convenience key really blew my mind...
    There's no left side convenience button?!?!?

I use it like 400 times a day!!!
    08-29-10 04:01 AM
    I think what you pointed out a fair enough reasons to return it without it turning into a bashfest! I dont own a torch so i can't say the same thing about delay or animations but I do agree that a lot of issues people are having no matter how minor they are can be fixed via software updates. Your sentiments on the hardware is understandable and I agree that it could have been so much better in terms of CPU and screen resolution but i dont think it handicaps the torch for the time being.

personally i think they should have left the convenience key there but its not a big issue for me. The slider form factor is what i want and as such i dont see that as a negative since I've had previous experiences on other phones.

The 5.0 operating systems is a lot more mature and the 9700 should be a good phone for your needs and the issues you pointed out and with the option of OS 6 down the line. You'll be missing out on the webkit browser but the 9700 browser isn't that bad and you can always grab opera mini as an alternative.
    08-29-10 07:07 AM
    one of the things you can trade in this life when you're not happy is your phone.. or your car.. but NOT your mother in law!
    08-29-10 08:23 AM

Not on the Torch you don't, unless you somehow magically got one that came without a usb charging port

08-29-10 09:11 AM
    Wow I forgot the Tourch didn't have the left side convenience key.

08-29-10 01:00 PM

Yep, the Torch doesn't have it unfortunately. I used both convenience keys all the time on my BBs.
    08-29-10 01:09 PM
    The Torch 2 will have it.

08-29-10 03:20 PM
    Cool. I wish I had one.
    08-29-10 03:26 PM
    Well at least your hesad is in the right place and you got a blackberry thing is your 9700 will see os6 sooner or later so really you just traded in your touch screen

It is funny though, even after only using a touch screen for about 3 weeks i have on more than one occasion already tried touching the screen on my 9700....

I didnt realize the few things that were easier done with a touch screen until i used one for a bit and then went back to a non touch. A candybar style blackberry paired with a touch screen would be just the best!
    08-29-10 05:27 PM
    Wouldn't that make it a S2? You would have to change carriers to VZW. We will see if you like the 98xx when it comes out next year.
    08-29-10 05:31 PM
    Wouldn't that make it a S2? You would have to change carriers to VZW. We will see if you like the 98xx when it comes out next year.
    woops, i meant to say a candybar phone with a qwerty keyboard and touch.
    08-29-10 05:35 PM
    Making it the 98xx.
    08-29-10 05:41 PM
    woops, i meant to say a candybar phone with a qwerty keyboard and touch.
    I agree. take a 9560 or 9780 and throw a touch screen on that. Would be great! Of all the android phones I have played around with I just like the form factor of the bold way too much. Nice kb and perfect size phone. I just don't think I want to carry around a computer all day long in my pocket.
    08-29-10 07:39 PM
    The Torch is a bit heavier but not as large as the leading android phones. I did like the form factor of my 9700 but all the new features of the Torch in one device and OS 6 meets all my needs. However, I would not hold my breath on a touchscreen device the size of the 9700. No offense but that ship has sailed.
    08-29-10 07:58 PM
    Torch rocks, the purpose of having a web browser that works is nice I never used opera much even on the 9700 the torch there's no need for all that bloat ware. This browser works nice with tabs. And as os 6 matures, things will just get better, guys times change and eventuall even the torch will be history. Once rim brings out better berries I'm all for it. Our bolds in 10 plus will be crapy scaps of plastic so keep holding on.

08-29-10 11:32 PM

Where did you hear there will be a Torch 2?

08-30-10 07:11 AM

hey there!

i'm still waiting for PICTURE of the 1,200 iphone 4 that your company is buying soon.. what ever happened to that?
    and the Torch that you were replacing.. what number are we in now? last post you made was on the 12th or was it 13th?
    now this NEWS for a Troll 2?
    C'mon with all those 2,000 plus posts... how many are garbage and how many are informative?
    08-30-10 07:54 AM
    I work for a ANR and I have heard nothing yet about a Torch 2. The torch hasn't been out long enough to consider any rumors about a Touch 2. Upgrades are more likely.
    08-30-10 09:38 AM
    It is funny though, even after only using a touch screen for about 3 weeks i have on more than one occasion already tried touching the screen on my 9700....

I didnt realize the few things that were easier done with a touch screen until i used one for a bit and then went back to a non touch. A candybar style blackberry paired with a touch screen would be just the best!
    I returned my Torch after two weeks and when I went back to my 9700, I tried touching the screen for at least a day because I was already used to it LOL.

08-30-10 09:52 AM
    I used to use the left convenience key a lot (on my 9000), but since everything is right there on the "All" tab, I have gotten used to not having it. Not a deal breaker to not have it there.
    08-30-10 09:59 AM
    I used to use the left convenience key a lot (on my 9000), but since everything is right there on the "All" tab, I have gotten used to not having it. Not a deal breaker to not have it there.
    you dont mind the extra time it takes to flick through the big list of apps to find the one you are looking for? The thing i really like about the convenience keys or really any shortcut is that you dont have to look at the phone, you can just press a button and you know for sure you just launched the app the app that you want.
    08-30-10 09:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD