I have dropped my Blackberry Torch 9800 and smashed the screen. The touch screen is still working fine. A tiny shard of glass came out as well. Whats the cheapest way to get this fixed? I looked on ebay for a replacement screen but got confused as to LCD screens and the touch screen thingy - I'm not particularly technologically minded, however my dad is an engineer so if I present him with said phone and parts I'm sure he can fix it if it is possible! Please can anybody point me in the direction of what I need and how to do it?

Thank you so much!
    06-27-11 08:41 AM
    Hey!
    I work on BlackBerry's A LOT. The Torch is extremely difficult to disassemble and replace parts. It seems that RIM did NOT want us taking them apart. The actual LCD screen is glued into the surrounding bezel very well. You can melt the glue with a blowdryer, take the LCD screen out and replace it. The digitizer is hard plastic black screen that you touch.

Here is a link for the cheapest 001/111 LCD screen on Ebay.
    OEM Blackberry Torch 9800 LCD Display Screen 001/111 US | eBay

Here is a video on the disassembly of the Torch:

That video doesn't show him taking the LCD out of the bezel. He posts that it is hard and will more than likely break if you do that. But since yours is broke, then it won't hurt much. If you feel that your dad can do that, the above link for the LCD is what you need to fix it. Just a quick tip if you decide to get that LCD. Don't take the plastic off that back that exposes the sticky tape, because you won't get it out again if you need to. It will still stay in well without the tape exposed. I change the colors on my phone a lot, so I'm popping the LCD all the time. The first time I decided to change the colors, I just got a new LCD because I knew the other one was probably going to break.

If you think the disassembly is going to be too difficult, this may be your best bet:
    Blackberry torch 9800 LCD/Digitizer, housing Black usa | eBay

That way you just have to disconnect the whole display from the phone and replace it, but don't have to actually disassemble the parts of the display if that makes sense. They do have red & white in those as well.

I hope that helps and if you have more questions just ask!
    Last edited by Out_Of_Ideas; 06-27-11 at 09:23 AM.
    06-27-11 09:18 AM
    Thanks! You defo given me some where to start! so thanks for that, I'll see how I get on!
    06-27-11 02:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD