I'm actually very into the slider. I too want a physical keyboard. I want a nice sized screen, good web browsing and all the normal stuff we've come to expect from berry in the way of messaging, calendar and notification along with corporate integration and security. Social networking integration could get a bit better.

If it can be used as a mobile hotspot, I'll wind up using the large screen slider form factor for a long time (for some reason, I don't care for the landscape sliders though).

I want the slider form factor (I could stand it being a tiny big larger than the 9800 but granted, I've got mongo hands) and an open source or Linux tablet. Those two devices, if they played nice together would handle 99% of all my computing and communication needs.

I think they are on the right track. Webkit was a great move that they really should have made a year or two before when they did. RIM dropped the ball there. The competition that Apple and Android have introduced is great for consumers and I have faith that RIM will stay in the game.

I think the 9800 will be the best Blackberry they can produce right now. I am counting on RIM to get things together and make 2011 and 2012 pretty exciting for us though.
    07-12-10 01:54 PM
    Thanks BoldtotheMax, I was in a mood when I read the OP. I really don't get the attitude. Oh well. I am glad you got a chuckle out of it, that was the whole intent.

In all reality, I am really excited about the 9800, it looks like EXACTLY what I want in a BB. I am on AT&T, so I hope I'll be one of the first to snag one.
    07-12-10 02:04 PM
    9800 slider, OS 6, Webkit browser. Oh yes!

I am really stoked about all this. I shall be buying a 9800 at fiull retail about 6 weeks after it has been released. Yes, it's expensive but if I wait a short while to see what it is like in the wild and it gets good feedback on CrackBerry then I shall soon own a world beating phone.

If however OS 6 is a flop (I am sure the 9800 hardware will be fine) then RIM has a real and serious problem in the marketplace. However I have confidence that OS 6 will be a winner.
    07-12-10 02:10 PM
    I think the slider is a step in the right direction, assuming it's not a pile. Personally, I've been wanting a touch screen phone for quite some time, but I also want the reliability of blackberry. I use my phone for work and personal...I don't want to carry two devices. Nobody but BB has decent encryption of data at rest and BB handles email beautifully. The keyboard allows me to do many things very quick w/out having to navigate through menus, etc. On the other hand, when I'm not using my phone for work I really want a big screen coupled with a browser that works. Let's face it, the current browser is barely functional. I also don't mind on personal time taking a few extra seconds to navigate through some menus here and there.

For me, the slider has the potential of being just what I've been waiting for...if it's ever released.

I agree with Pete6 also. If OS6 is a flop, RIM has a big problem. They'll need to fix it or release something else, but quickly...which is not the norm for them.
    07-12-10 02:22 PM
    *snip*
    The keyboard allows me to do many things very quick w/out having to navigate through menus, etc. On the other hand, when I'm not using my phone for work I really want a big screen coupled with a browser that works. Let's face it, the current browser is barely functional. I also don't mind on personal time taking a few extra seconds to navigate through some menus here and there.
    *snip*
    This is the exact situation I'm in. My solution right now is to buy a large format phone (considering the Droid X next week) for tablet like web browsing vs waiting on Android tablets in 7-10" sizes to get ironed out. I'm simply not willing to give up the communication end of a berry for work for off time use with a larger screen.

I'm really pulling for RIM to get something out that is a good in between device (similar to the 9800 with a few changes).
    07-12-10 02:44 PM
    It's not specifically about the 9800 though, it's about RIM's capability to stay on their game and continue making quality, tech-advanced devices.
    I was not aware that RIM was going to release another slider in the next few months. What other device would be talking about when it comes to a "slider"?
    07-12-10 03:58 PM
    Thanks BoldtotheMax, I was in a mood when I read the OP. I really don't get the attitude. Oh well. I am glad you got a chuckle out of it, that was the whole intent.

In all reality, I am really excited about the 9800, it looks like EXACTLY what I want in a BB. I am on AT&T, so I hope I'll be one of the first to snag one.
    Indeed I did get a chuckle out of it, lol!

Same here, I currently have a 9700 and love this phone and not much a touchscreen type guy, however with both physical and touch this will eventually be my next phone. Still have awhile on current contract, but depending on money I may still get it and keep 9700 for a back up or sell unlocked on ebay.

Looks amazing! Some people will always hate on Berries, such is life...I am loyal and faithful BB user, have been for years.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-10 02:15 AM
    I was not aware that RIM was going to release another slider in the next few months. What other device would be talking about when it comes to a "slider"?
    The title says slider, but from what I can tell, this forum isn't about it specifically. It's asking what people think about RIM's ability to improve and release new devices, as well as what they see in the future.
    07-13-10 03:13 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD