I've come from what many would say is one of the best devices out at the moment - the Galaxy S.

I've had the Torch for a little over a week now and feel so amazed by it, its my first BlackBerry and certainly won't be my last.

First and foremost battery life. Wow. I had to take a spare battery around with me with the Galaxy and it would usually need to be replaced by 3.00pm. It just keeps going! I've had the low battery warning on once in that week. Thats with constant push notifications, whats RIM's secret here?

Second, the market. Slightly disappointed, reminds me of my WinMo days of apps being few and far between. But I now realise how little I actually care about apps. Seriously, its nice having a large selection of games, but I find my self so engaged with BBM or Facebook I don't miss it one bit.

Thirdly, BBM. Its fantastic, how has it not been made a standard across all devices? I'm on an unlimited text plan, but I still find myself using it more than regular texting because its much better! The ability to send photos as well is very welcome.

The screen, I thought I'd miss my WVGA SAMOLED 4.0" beast but I don't. I find myself having more screen usually due to the keyboard not taking half of it all the time! Also, people who say HVGA isn't enough, its a 3.2" screen its perfectly fine really. Not amazing, but not a huge criticism.

Keyboard, it is great. Its so nice to have a keyboard back! Combine that with the predictive, its bloody brilliant. Its so much easier to text. Even the onscreen keyboard is a rather pleasant experience!

Build quality, this is a bit of a downer. I have a few issues with a squeeky keyboard. When I'm typing it does tend to make the occasional squeek.

Browser is okay, obviously I'm coming from a Galaxy S, I've been spoilt with full flash and that screen estate. But its okay! I hear its a welcome upgrade from you old time BlackBerry fans!

Thats about all I can think of from my first week! I'll definitely be awaiting more news on the Torch 2!

Okay its not so short :P
    01-17-11 06:28 PM
    Glad you like the phone you couldn't have picked a better blackberry to start with

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-11 06:48 PM
    I use both on a daily basis. I have a Captivate for personal, and Torch for my business.

Honestly, I find myself grabbing the Torch more often than not, even for personal use.

I love my Captivate, and it does very well at the things I expect it to do, but the Torch is just so much easier to use in general, and so much easier to live with.

As for build quality, I'm on the fence, maybe even leaning a bit towards the Torch. But, I also know the support system RIM has, which is why I keep using them for business.

Honestly, though, because of delayed updates and major segmentation, the Captivate will be my last Android, at least for a while. The manufacturers and carriers have bastardized what could have been a fantastic OS, and void the warranties of those of us who dare to fix the problems. I guess we'll see what happens.
    01-17-11 07:02 PM
    Nice review. Thanks.

After almost two months I still find more to like about my Torch. The app collection is getting fine tuned. Games and video were never my forte. And the battery does a long busy day without a hitch. BB continues to win my heart day by day.

01-17-11 07:15 PM
    Great read my friend! It would be my 2nd choice (9700 here) and I almost got this one. The one thing that held me back was I'm not a slider fan, but I know many who absolutely love it.

The touchscreen almost lured me though. It made it seem extremely functional in all aspects, so I'm very excited to see the Dakota for my candybar qwerty w/ touchscreen as well.

Congrats on the phone and get some peeks at that leaked Torch 2. I'm sure it will fix the reported squeeks, browsing, etc. and seems to be packing some serious horsepower for a BB.

What color did you get btw?

01-17-11 08:43 PM
    Great review my friend. The best smartphone

01-17-11 09:08 PM
    Great review!
    I have to agree with everyone else I am loving my torch and at first the slider I was weary about but it stands solid and the battery is unreal how long it lasts, I also love the speaker phone, the handheld, and daylight sensor, the camera. I basically use it for personal, business, and anything else. the internet for me is great and the soft ware works great with my macbook and music and podcasts...So glad your happy and welcome to the family!
    01-17-11 11:20 PM
    The touchscreen almost lured me though. It made it seem extremely functional in all aspects, so I'm very excited to see the Dakota for my candybar qwerty w/ touchscreen as well.

What color did you get btw?
    I got the black one

And just to add, I don't even find myself using the touchscreen 90% of the time, I've never realised how effective the trackpad is on a phone. It makes web browsing so much easier no more hitting the wrong thing anymore!

I love my Captivate, and it does very well at the things I expect it to do, but the Torch is just so much easier to use in general, and so much easier to live with.
    Couldn't agree more. I wish manufactures would see this too. Cyanogen has such a huge following, and many roms try to copy the standard Android look, I don't see the need for "skins" like MotoBlur, Sense and TouchWiz (worst of all IMO).

I'm glad I bought this phone now. The only reason I actually went for it was because of the form factor. I wanted a portrait slider with a decent size screen. I was going to go for the Dell Venue Pro but I am so glad thats been delayed!

When QNX gets onto BlackBerry phones, I think they have a customer for life here!
    01-18-11 03:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD