Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By saudadeii
  • 2 Post By 9800wayne
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Screen goes black when call button pressed

The touch screen was replaced on my Torch. Now when I make or receive a call, as soon as I press the call button the screen goes black (before I even get it close to my ear to talk). Once the call is completed and the end call button is pressed the screen will come back on again. Neither the touch screen or any of the buttons work while the screen is black.
    I know there is a proximity sensor next to the led light but it is activated by the call button and not by any proximity. Is the call button in any way connected to the proximity sensor?
    Any ideas?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Im having the same problem...... Hope some1 could help us both =(
    CrackBerry Newbie

So am I. I've been searching the forums and I've seen two different things. 1) people have an issue with the sensor not working and the screen never dims (and people are touching things while on a call, and 2) the opposite, where the screen instantly goes black in a call when it's not close to your face.

It seems to me that everyone keeps saying "tons of threads, you are using a screen protector" and people keep responding with "no, I'm not using one", and no one ever answers the question past that.

Maybe I'm missing something. The sensor never dimming the screen (and it's faulty) seems pretty straightforward, get it fixed. But the second scenario is unanswered as far as I can tell.

What's causing the screen to go black without contact or without a screen protector?

Is this still a sensor issue?

I've had this on three Torches now.

J
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,644 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jwillits View Post
    I've had this on three Torches now.
    J
    Who are you getting these phones from? What 3rd party apps are you running?
    avesjm likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Ive had those exact same problems when I changed the housings on 6 torches until I figured out what it was.......

There are 2 blue screws located at the top left and top right of the LCD slide, located directly underneath the touch itself so you wont see them. When those are not put back into the phone (well in my cases, because they CAN be left out if you choose to leave them out of the phone), I notice when you make a call, the screen immediately goes blank (its sensing that the proximity sensor path is being blocked by an object). When the screws are not replaced, then the metallic piece that the screen "sits" in isn't pressing down close enough to the ribbon, so a section of the metal is actually blocking the sensor.

When that happens, the phone automatically will "think" that the phone is being placed to your head so it cuts out the screen to save battery life and also to prevent any part of your head enabling anything else on the touchscreen whilst the phone is to your ears (for example your ears or cheek touching the touchscreen)

This is what I deciphered as my explanation, but it worked everytime for me

And oh yeah, I'm a cellphone technician by profession
    Last edited by 9800wayne; 12-31-2011 at 02:08 PM.
    Thanked by:
    afloracle (01-30-2012) 
    afloracle and tinachau like this.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    cushion

Quote Originally Posted by 9800wayne View Post
    Ive had those exact same problems when I changed the housings on 6 torches until I figured out what it was.......

There are 2 blue screws located at the top left and top right of the LCD slide, located directly underneath the touch itself so you wont see them. When those are not put back into the phone (well in my cases, because they CAN be left out if you choose to leave them out of the phone), I notice when you make a call, the screen immediately goes blank (its sensing that the proximity sensor path is being blocked by an object). When the screws are not replaced, then the metallic piece that the screen "sits" in isn't pressing down close enough to the ribbon, so a section of the metal is actually blocking the sensor.

When that happens, the phone automatically will "think" that the phone is being placed to your head so it cuts out the screen to save battery life and also to prevent any part of your head enabling anything else on the touchscreen whilst the phone is to your ears (for example your ears or cheek touching the touchscreen)

Ok - I understand everything you've said here - BUT - I'm using a clear screen protector on my 9810 and it was doing the "going black" thing prior to my installing a screen protector. I have not changed my phone's housing. It's a white Torch 9810. I have also noticed that apps like Picture ID and Fake Call do not work with this phone at all.

It should be interesting to know that my 9810 doesn't always go black with the placing of or receiving of each call. It's "some-timey" about doing this. Sometimes it doesn't do it for weeks.

What now...?

Peace...

P. S. - My 9810 is also still under its one year warranty. I am thinking of doing a warranty replacement if it doesn't stop doing this soon.
    Last edited by tediprude; 01-01-2012 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Added P. S.
    :When the music changes...So does the dance!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead. Some come from behind. But, I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me." Dr. Seuss[/FONT]
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,644 Global Posts

@tediprude If you're covered, take it back.

Also, next time consider posting in the 9810 forum. You run OS7. The folks in the 9810 forum would be much better suited to assist you.

Good luck.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by 9800wayne View Post

Wow. Thanks for this it was driving me crazy. I replaced the screen and had two blue screws left over! Will go home tonight to check it out..

Thanks
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by afloracle View Post
    Wow. Thanks for this it was driving me crazy. I replaced the screen and had two blue screws left over! Will go home tonight to check it out..

Thanks
    Fixed the problem. Much appreciated guys!
    CrackBerry Newbie

the same case of me. Please give the solution.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Remove phone case

I was having that same problem with my 9810. Phone screen going blank when receiving a call or after dialing a number, only to find out that my phone case was covering the sensors. So when making a call I just remove the face part of my case and that solved my problem. I hope this help.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default 9900,9800 press call recieve button LCD blank...

i m having same problem i m searching other forums but no solution this problem. Then i complete software 9900, 9800 solve my problem. 100% tested solution try it.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Software upgrade

I saw where you mentioned software upgrade. What site can we find the upgrade and how do you do the upgrade 9900, 9800 to solve the problem, because i am having the same problem. Also my camera does now work.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default engr. blackberry

Ihave a blackberry touch1 that if I dial number the lcd go black on the lcd what are the solution