My fiance comes in thursday from afghanistan and we leave for the bahamas sunday. On my old lg their was a "plane mode" is their one for the torch? If so how do I get to it? I feel like I've looked everywhere in the phone and can't find it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-11 11:45 AM
    Tap the connections area at the top of the Home Screen. Untick 'Mobile network'.
    03-22-11 11:49 AM
    That's all? Ok. Thanks. I never understood y I can't use my phone on the plane. But whatever.

03-22-11 12:08 PM
    Because the mobile radios interfere with the plane instruments.
    03-22-11 01:23 PM
    The FAA does not allow it. There are some countries that do not impose restrictions.
    03-22-11 01:27 PM
    There will likely be a period of time (during takeoff and landing) when they ask that all electronic devices be turned off. Even with the Mobile Network turned off, you will be asked to turn your Blackberry off.
    03-22-11 01:48 PM
    Airplane Mode from PingDev Ltd. Free in App world

http://www.pingdevltd.com/site/

Last edited by PD in T-DOT; 03-23-11 at 09:00 AM.
    03-23-11 05:24 AM
    Because the mobile radios interfere with the plane instruments.
    Actually, they do absolutely nothing to the instruments. Myth-busters did a show on it.

03-23-11 05:47 AM
    That's all? Ok. Thanks. I never understood y I can't use my phone on the plane. But whatever.

Cell phones interferring with aircraft electronics is mostly urban legend. When you fly into most airports you will see every cell carrier has a tower often mounted near or even on the roof of the terminsl transnitting at several watts while your handsert transmits at about 1/2 watt. Also, many airlines will announce you can use your phone while still hurtling down the runway/taxing. Bottom line though is the 'better safe than sorry' crowd wins and it's illegal to use your handset until told you can do so.

If anuone knows of a bonifide test which shows cell phones really do presennt a risk please post the url, I'd be very interested to see it.

03-23-11 06:24 AM
    Actually, they do absolutely nothing to the instruments. Myth-busters did a show on it.

Just the fact that modern airports have cell towers earby and even on top of some terminal buildings pretty much debunlks that whole myth but - according to a news show - even though the FAA's own study said no problem no one wanted to be the one to llift the ban "Just in case".

03-23-11 06:30 AM
    So no listening to my mp3s while up n the air? That sucks.

03-23-11 07:12 AM
    Usually once in the air they allow you to turn the phone back on. Its only on takeoff and landing that they request you turn it off.
    03-23-11 07:46 AM
    Once in the air you will not have any signals, so you can't make calls, receive emails and such. What you will be able to do is utilize anything that does not require an external signal....native to the device games (no OTA), music, videos, documents to go etc.
    03-23-11 08:45 AM
    So no listening to my mp3s while up n the air? That sucks.

You don't need the mobile network turned on in order to listen to mp3's. As long as you turn your phone off during the period that they request that all electronic devices be turned off and leave the mobile network turned off during the entire flight, you are complying with regulations and can use everything else on your Torch that doesn't require an cell signal.
    Harryl6134 likes this.
    03-23-11 04:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD