I upgraded to .576 last week and have enjoyed a little bit better batery life since then. I upgraded fancytran app last night and i got the Null.java.illegalargument error then the dreaded reboot cycle. I have been trying to boot in safe mode by holding the escape key and it wont boot into safe mode. So my question is if they keep safe mode on this OS or is it not the escape button? Thanks for the help in advanced
    06-23-11 01:34 PM
    How to start a BlackBerry in safe mode:

Remove and reinsert the BlackBerry smartphone battery.

When the red light-emitting diode (LED) light goes out, press and hold the Escape key as the BlackBerry smartphone is loading.

When the dialog box appears, click OK.

Note: Safe mode is indicated by a safe mode indicator in the BlackBerry smartphone status section of the Home screen.

To turn off safe mode, remove and reinsert the BlackBerry smartphone battery.

Matrix Leader
    Leader of the n00k!e clan
    socjoc140 likes this.
    06-23-11 01:46 PM
    I have tried all different ways and still wont go into safe mode, thats why i wonder if its still an option in the OS.
    06-23-11 02:44 PM
    It works on my 9800
    06-23-11 03:01 PM
    I am not aware of any other way to boot into safe mode. I personally would just wipe my device provided I had a backup saved somewhere, then just reinstall a fresh OS again.
    socjoc140 likes this.
    06-23-11 03:04 PM
    PS...you don't need to pull the battery to begin safe mode either. just do the 3 key soft boot and when the red LED goes out hold the return key until the phone is back on.
    socjoc140 likes this.
    06-23-11 03:15 PM
    AFAIK Safe Mode is a function of the phone's BIOS, not its OS. I usually hold the Esc/Back key when the red light comes on and hold it throughout the boot cycle. BB 101 says it's only necessary to hold it for 10 seconds starting when the red light goes off.

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-safe-mode

But to answer OP's question, Safe Mode is a available on all BlackBerry phones and OSes.
    socjoc140 likes this.
    06-23-11 03:16 PM
    Tried holding the escape button down for last 30 mins and still wont go to safe mode, option B is complete wipe and reload or take to AT&t device support and have it switched with a refurb.
    06-23-11 03:36 PM
    I hadn't tried safe mode for a while for a while so I tried it just now for grins. Held the three-finger-salute, red light came on, red light went off and I pressed and held the Escape key for ~15 seconds. Voila (well, 3 minutes later voila), Safe Mode. Immediately repeated the three-finger-salute 'cuz I loathe the default theme.
    socjoc140 likes this.
    06-23-11 05:03 PM
    Safe mode has worked on every build to date(.141 to .600). I beta test hybrids and themes so I tend to use it quite a bit. The popup asking if you want to go into safe mode only shows for the first time you try to use safe mode.
    06-23-11 05:17 PM
    hubermania, I tried it just like you have written and it got to the same point and continued its reboot cycle. This is the first time I have ever had trouble getting into safe mode.
    06-23-11 05:21 PM
    I hold the escape key down through the entire boot process. Not sure if it makes a difference or not, but that's the way I've always done it.
    06-23-11 05:35 PM
    Homer, I just held the escape button through the whole process and still continues to reset.
    06-23-11 05:45 PM
    To heck with safe mode. Either connect with DM, though the timing on boot cyles can be tricky, and open Application Manager, so you can remove the offending app, or access Loader.exe via Program Files->Common Files->Research In Motion->AppLoader->Loader.exe. Launch that and hit next. When your phone is nearly finished booting hit next again. Follow the prompts, and you should get a list of your installed apps. If you want to prevent any chance of an OS change, uninstall all the OS on your PC through Control Panel first.
    meske likes this.
    06-23-11 08:09 PM
    The new App World update killed my 9800. Safe mode would not boot up. Ended up using BBSAK to remove the app while it was booting. Back to normal now. Thank you BBSAK! ...again...
    04-25-12 12:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD