To anyone that gets their hands on a Rogers branded Torch, are the mobile network preferences locked down?

Specifically can you go to:

Manage Connections --> Mobile Network Options. When there do you have a connection preference where you can select Wi-Fi preferred?
    09-29-10 02:30 PM
    It's not an option on my unbranded Torch on Rogers, but it does have the abillity to set it up in the engineering screens without having to upload custom service books.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-10 04:28 PM
    It's not an option on my unbranded Torch on Rogers, but it does have the abillity to set it up in the engineering screens without having to upload custom service books.

TLS2000,

Thanks for the reply. Couple of questions:

1) Your unbranded Torch on Rogers? Is this a retail unit from Rogers?

2) I know how to manually force UMA in the engineering screens however on my 9700 prior to 5.0.0.8xx there was no option within Mobile Network Options to set the preference to UMA, you basically had to force the device onto UMA and turn of 2G/3G radios. I want to know if you were to go into the engineering screens if you'd be able to have it automatically jump on UMA without needing to hit the escreens each time.

Thanks!
    09-29-10 04:35 PM
    Miranda on Rogers RedBoard posted the following, but she has been wrong before.

RogersMiranda says:
    September 29, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Hi Greg.

Yes. The Torch is UMA capable. To enable the service on your device, you can contact a Rogers Representative to have the Rogers Wi-Fi calling service (formerly known as Talkspot) added to your account.
    09-29-10 07:28 PM
    My Torch is unbranded. From RIM, not from Rogers.

I can definitely activate UMA and select WIFI Preferred through the engineering screens, but I can't check if it will connect automatically since I don't have Talkspot access with Rogers. They're only enabling it for people who order it now.
    09-29-10 10:16 PM
    Miranda on Rogers RedBoard posted the following, but she has been wrong before.

RogersMiranda says:
    September 29, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Hi Greg.

Yes. The Torch is UMA capable. To enable the service on your device, you can contact a Rogers Representative to have the Rogers Wi-Fi calling service (formerly known as Talkspot) added to your account.
    I am hoping she is right, but feel that she's wrong. I've posted a reply to that comment on the redboard and will see what they say.

Getting tired of Rogers not being able to run a simple add-on to their network. If TMo and Orange can do it, why can't the big red?
    09-29-10 11:11 PM
    RogersMiranda did not lie. I picked up a torch from Rogers today, and I just added the $5 talkspot option to my plan, where minutes just get added to my account. There was some delay while I waited on the phone, and chatted with customer care because I have my5 canada wide and the rep got a pop up indicating that my5 canada wide and talkspot are not compatible. Long story short she decided to carry on and add talkspot anyway and see what happens.

A few minutes after getting off the phone, I noticed UMA on my display. I disabled my 3G connection and my phone rang over wifi.

Very satisfying.

We'll see if there's any problems with my5 billing later.
    09-30-10 05:58 PM
    I am hoping she is right, but feel that she's wrong. I've posted a reply to that comment on the redboard and will see what they say.

Getting tired of Rogers not being able to run a simple add-on to their network. If TMo and Orange can do it, why can't the big red?
    she was indeed, my Torch has UMA active as soon as I set up the WiFi
    09-30-10 06:39 PM
    My Torch is unbranded. From RIM, not from Rogers.

I can definitely activate UMA and select WIFI Preferred through the engineering screens, but I can't check if it will connect automatically since I don't have Talkspot access with Rogers. They're only enabling it for people who order it now.
    I have an unlocked RIM Torch on Rogers, a "replacement" for a Rogers Torch that was extinguished. I have Talkspot access (on account) but UMA is not activated.

Seeking info on the UMA activation procedures; as much detail as possible.

Thanks in advance!
    06-29-11 07:52 PM
    If you have one of the latest OS installed (not the original OS fresh out of the box) you are able to select WIFI preferred from the manage connection screen.
    If you have talkspot as part of your plan, enabling WIFI and selecting WIFI preferred should hand off from "radio" to "UMA" automatically.
    06-29-11 08:12 PM
    RogersMiranda did not lie. I picked up a torch from Rogers today, and I just added the $5 talkspot option to my plan, where minutes just get added to my account. There was some delay while I waited on the phone, and chatted with customer care because I have my5 canada wide and the rep got a pop up indicating that my5 canada wide and talkspot are not compatible. Long story short she decided to carry on and add talkspot anyway and see what happens.

A few minutes after getting off the phone, I noticed UMA on my display. I disabled my 3G connection and my phone rang over wifi.

Very satisfying.

We'll see if there's any problems with my5 billing later.

Was this on a 9800 or the new 9810
    osted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

09-19-11 08:00 PM
    I also have a Rogers torch 9800 but it have no branding or anything but it is a Rogers phone.. Always wanted to kno how wifi calling works

09-20-11 07:28 AM
    I have a 9800, and yup, UMA calling works fine.
    09-20-11 02:00 PM
    I can answer this as a business customer, I know there is some different between business account and personal account, anyway at work we have 12 different blackberry,crappy 8200, 8900, 9100, 9700, 9800, 9900 and they all work uma, but we need the uma package on the account (which is like the talkspot). I have my torch since december 2010 and never had problem with uma as soon as roger updated their network (which was arround july of last year) before that no uma was working on 3g device (it was working since May 2010 but had a lot of issue with it).
    Last edited by AcADIeN; 09-20-11 at 03:07 PM.
    09-20-11 03:05 PM
    I can answer this as a business customer, I know there is some different between business account and personal account, anyway at work we have 12 different blackberry,crappy 8200, 8900, 9100, 9700, 9800, 9900 and they all work uma, but we need the uma package on the account (which is like the talkspot). I have my torch since december 2010 and never had problem with uma as soon as roger updated their network (which was arround july of last year) before that no uma was working on 3g device (it was working since May 2010 but had a lot of issue with it).
    i agree i remember since they have changed their system in the summer or whatever they have screwed me over and did so much changes on my account and stuff that i didnt even kno about and now i feel like i should change service providers since there is other companies that can offer me better deals and they seem to be more reliable then rogers is now
    09-21-11 09:17 AM
    i agree i remember since they have changed their system in the summer or whatever they have screwed me over and did so much changes on my account and stuff that i didnt even kno about and now i feel like i should change service providers since there is other companies that can offer me better deals and they seem to be more reliable then rogers is now
    we got 6 month of refund (12 phone got the uma package refund for 6 month) when they found it was there problem, maybe you should complain more ?
    09-21-11 02:54 PM
    hey guys, sorry but i'm a newbi

can you explain a bit more on what uma does? plz
    i've got a 9300 and the only signal it gives me is uma, l
    thought nothing of it on till i read your post!! on the matter
    09-21-11 04:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD