Great great phone. Just got it 3 days ago. Sharp and nice.

But what's the use of it when I could not IM Asian business contacts or see what they said?

I really love the phone itself, but after half a month there are still no decent East Asian language packs while iOS and Android are good with Asian characters right out of the box.

This is really frustrating. When I got my Bold, the East Asian pack was available right on the launch day from AT&T.

What happened to RIM recently??? Moving so slow on meeting customers' needs?

09-02-10 01:09 PM
    Personal opinion, they are meeting the needs, just not yours. Have fun with another phone. Exercise your 30 days and get what works for you and your Asian friends.
    09-02-10 02:15 PM
    The issue is the exclusivity contract RIM has with ATT. If ATT has no need for east asia support they won't make it.

Give it another month and there will added support as the phone is released around the world.

All that I can say is to return it if you can't wait for asian support.

Bell always has east asian support and are releasing the phone later this month.

RIM is meeting the carriers needs who meet the customers needs.

They are working 100% as intended

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-10 02:51 PM
    Sept 15 is not that far..
    09-02-10 03:14 PM
    Anyone know what would be the build version on the Bell Torch? Same as AT&T or newer?
    09-02-10 03:18 PM
    Personal opinion, they are meeting the needs, just not yours. Have fun with another phone. Exercise your 30 days and get what works for you and your Asian friends.
    Nah. In the past there were always East Asian packs on AT&T right out of box. So are you saying AT&T and RIM were meeting extra "unnecessary" customer needs?

You should say that they are meeting your needs, but you cannot say if they met the majority of the needs just based on your sole opinion. However I can say they at least didn't meet my needs and my friends.

You missed the point.

BTW it's a great phone.
    09-02-10 05:17 PM
    Sept 15 is not that far..
    Yeah looking forward to sneaking Rogers/Bell's multilang OS...
    09-02-10 05:18 PM
    The issue is the exclusivity contract RIM has with ATT. If ATT has no need for east asia support they won't make it.

Give it another month and there will added support as the phone is released around the world.

All that I can say is to return it if you can't wait for asian support.

Bell always has east asian support and are releasing the phone later this month.

RIM is meeting the carriers needs who meet the customers needs.

They are working 100% as intended

Probably true, but why there were East Asian packs for Bold and Curve and all other BB phones???

I think RIM is not meeting the carriers needs who did not meet the customer needs just based on past BB OS releases.

09-02-10 05:20 PM
    I don't know. It may not be about customer demands. I mean, Bell's getting multilingual os out of the box and I don't think they have a ton of Asian customers either.

The OP makes a valid point. A friend of mine just returned her Torch because she couldn't read any of the emails from her company in Tokyo. I thought BB was supposed to 'get stuff done', not 'get another phone if your business contact writes in foreign language' :/

09-03-10 12:33 PM
    I don't know. It may not be about customer demands. I mean, Bell's getting multilingual os out of the box and I don't think they have a ton of Asian customers either.

The OP makes a valid point. A friend of mine just returned her Torch because she couldn't read any of the emails from her company in Tokyo. I thought BB was supposed to 'get stuff done', not 'get another phone if your business contact writes in foreign language' :/

+1

09-03-10 09:08 PM
    No need for personal opinion when we have sales figures. Research In slow Motion is not meeting needs, particularly outside the US and Canada.

To launch a smartphone in this day and age without foreign language support is just dumb. Thousands of potential customers will need foreign language support on launch day.
    09-06-10 10:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD