Hey,

So I just got an at&t torch in Vancouver for $450 cdn!! because the top bezel was a little scratched in the top right corner, its not that noticeable but the replacement part is only $15 on CNN so I figured I'd just replace it.

I've ordered the part, but I cant find any videos on how to replace the bezel, and last time I made a modification to my Tour without instructions it ended up not being able to make or receive calls lol.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks
    10-14-10 04:11 PM
    This is probably what you're looking for:

10-14-10 04:54 PM
    He never removes the top bezel, if I need to completely dismantle the phone to replace the top bezel then it is not worth it haha,

Thank for the link tho
    10-14-10 05:39 PM
    I've just ordered that part myself from CNN. Apparently you need 4 different screw drivers. Also the dissaembly looks tricky.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-10 07:15 PM
    i would like to know as well if anyones done it or has a video of a complete disassembly including the top bezel and lcd screen.

just noticed a lil chip on the top right hand corner of mine on the top bezel (where the lcd screen sits).

eventually ill change it but seeing that video looks difficult and i gotta order other screw drivers. lol.
    10-20-10 03:58 AM
    anyone know if the actual top bezel (where the lcd sits) can be removed or is it just the lcd screen?
    10-20-10 04:02 AM
    The metal/chrome bezel around the lcd screen can be replaced by removing the 4 t6 screws u can see when removing the battery door, then unclip the bottom of the bezel and lift up and away(the top part is held in place by 2 tabs, way to easy to break if you force it). There used to be a youtube video of the complete tear down, the first step in a teardown is to remove the bezel. You cant remove the battery compartment/camera bits without taking the bezel off first, since the 2 screws that hold that part on are hidden by the bezel.

EDIT:
    Yes i have done it per the first post about a teardown which tightens the screen wobble a bit.
    Last edited by homer1475; 10-20-10 at 05:14 AM.
    10-20-10 05:12 AM
    Sorry been a while since i watched the video or done this(nearly over a month now :s), but after watching the video it was the bottom bezel that came apart not the bezel around the screen.. sorry for any misinformation.
    10-20-10 05:17 AM
    The video shows only how to remove the bottom bezel not the top one where the lcd sits. It actually shows at the end of it with the slider and the lcd lens removed.

The screws that are under the battery door removes the bottom bezel.

The video in the other thread shows nearly everything. Only thing missing is the removal of the lcd screen and the top bezel if its possible.

If there was someone in aus that does this I'd probably pay em to do it. Too much small crap u can damage. Too bad australia hasn't got the torch at all yet. Ordered mine off ebay.

10-20-10 05:17 AM
    All good man. Im probably not the only one wanting to know. Hehehehe. Coz by goin thru the video I wouldn't wana try and remove the lcd lens if I need to take all the necessary parts and transfer it over to the new top part.

If the top bezel comes off that would be awesome. Might email cnn and see if they know.

10-20-10 05:22 AM
    Sorry been a while since i watched the video or done this(nearly over a month now :s), but after watching the video it was the bottom bezel that came apart not the bezel around the screen.. sorry for any misinformation.

EDIT:
    No idea why this double posted. Had another tab open to watch the video, came back the the crackberry page and it looked as though my post didnt go through so i hit post reply. My bad.
    Last edited by homer1475; 10-20-10 at 05:24 AM.
    10-20-10 05:22 AM
    Any progress, I'll be receiving my new Top Bezel from CNN next week.

We really need a full take apart video.

On a side note, where can I get the screwdrivers necessary to perform the disassemble?
    10-20-10 02:48 PM
    Any progress, I'll be receiving my new Top Bezel from CNN next week.

We really need a full take apart video.

On a side note, where can I get the screwdrivers necessary to perform the disassemble?
    I dropped my Torch and got some dings in the bezel around the screen. I have the new upper screen chassis (BlackBerry Torch 9800 OEM upper bezel - - Cellular Accessories | Mobile Accessories | Cell Phone), and I can confirm that the smoked chrome finish is a plating on the chassis, not a separate piece. So unfortunately, the bezel itself is not replaceable; you have to replace the entire screen chassis (which just happens to be the most difficult part of the phone to replace).

Along with the short battery life, sloppy slider, and low earpiece volume, this lame packaging design makes the Torch the most disappointing smartphone hardware I have ever owned (and I had a Treo 650!).

Anyway, just to make it more miserable, RIM has elected to use non-standard Torx sizes. After searching for these rare tools, I finally bought this set for $50:
    Amazon.com: Wiha 26793 PicoFinish Torx Driver Set, T1-T8, 8 Piece: Home Improvement: Reviews, Prices & more

This is going to be a very difficult job. Besides all the connectors, stickers, screws, etc. that can break along the way, I will need to worry about dust getting between the digitizer and the LCD (They appear to be sealed together by an adhesive). That is, if I can get the LCD out without breaking it.

I intend to follow the gstream.ca video ( ), but I wish I had a video or some pictures of the LCD removal. It would be nice to know where the adhesive is located and where to pry (and not to pry). If I end up being the first one to do this, I will share some pictures.

Once I get the top part of the phone removed from the base, I think I will do the rest in a steamy bathroom (poor man's clean room) to minimize dust particles getting between the LCD and digitizer.
    10-23-10 11:42 AM
    Make sure to post back your results. I'm not looking forward to this.
    10-23-10 11:55 AM
    Got my bezel in the mail today. Now I just need to find the T1, T3, T6 screwdrivers!

Searching online is resulting in nothing, the T1 seems to be the hardest to find.
    10-27-10 03:46 PM
    The video that gstream.ca posted is great. and if you dont want to do it yourself send it to them or give them a visit they are located in Vancouver, BC.

NB: I dont know them, never worked for them and never used their service. I just typed in their website and found out where they are located.
    Last edited by ForceFed; 10-27-10 at 09:10 PM.
    10-27-10 09:07 PM
    For the T-1 torx drive search Amazon they should be about $7.36 but you have to look very hard
    10-27-10 09:53 PM
    10-27-10 10:03 PM
    The video that gstream.ca posted is great. and if you dont want to do it yourself send it to them or give them a visit they are located in Vancouver, BC.

NB: I dont know them, never worked for them and never used their service. I just typed in their website and found out where they are located.
    What video is that?
    10-27-10 10:49 PM
    I have taken apart 3 torches now right down to the lcd and I will tell you.... dont bother. You will need a new lcd as well to change the upper bezel as it will break when you try to remove it. I can rip apart any phone and put it back together in under 10 min. The fastest I have done a torch is 45 min and it is a pain to remove the glass (which I have done 3 times now) without breaking the glass the first time you do it.

Trust me, its not worth it. Its the dumbest design I've ever seen. To replace the flex cable you have to remove the glass.

Last edited by damann; 10-27-10 at 11:03 PM.
    10-27-10 11:01 PM
    I have taken apart 3 torches now right down to the lcd and I will tell you.... dont bother. You will need a new lcd as well to change the upper bezel as it will break when you try to remove it. I can rip apart any phone and put it back together in under 10 min. The fastest I have done a torch is 45 min and it is a pain to remove the glass (which I have done 3 times now) without breaking the glass the first time you do it.

Trust me, its not worth it. Its the dumbest design I've ever seen. To replace the flex cable you have to remove the glass.

Come on, it can't be that bad, what if you take your sweet time and use a pry tool to delicately take the LCD off?

If you do get it out of the bevel, does it fit back in good as new?
    10-27-10 11:58 PM
    What video is that?
    here u go

10-28-10 01:00 PM
    What's actually holding the digitizer screen in place aside from the flex cable? It looks like its just sitting snug into the bezel.

10-28-10 01:30 PM
    A friend's wife abandoned her Torch for the iPhone and asked me to fix it and sell it for him to offset some cost. She kept it in her purse so it has some nicks/chips on the outer bezel, scuffs on the trackpad, and scratches on the BB buttons. Everything works great on the phone but it just looks older than it is because of the cosmetic blemishes.

He ordered a trackpad, front bezel, and a full replacement housing (in case anything else needed replacing) that should arrive in a few days. I ordered a T1 & T2 screwdrivers from Amazon (I only have the T3 to T10 set) that came in today. So to answer my own question earlier, you need a T2, T3, & T6 to completely disassemble a 9800.

I followed the gstream video instructions which was great. Here's the differences that I found:
    1. They said you needed a T1 screwdriver but I actually needed a T2. I don't know, maybe they use different sizes at the different places they assemble the Torch. This one is a made in Mexico5.
    2. The connector for the trackpad shows that they had unlatched 2 side clips before removing the trackpad ribbon. Mine has a metal flip up clip that releases the ribbon cable.
    3. Prior to separating the front bezel from the sliding mechanism, you also have to peel off the ribbon cable that has the latching clip for the trackpad. It is glued to the back of the bezel. Theirs probably just came off because of prior disassembly.

Bold Lover - the digitizer is held in by sticky 2-sided tape all along the edges and can be pried off just like in the video.

damann - I got the lcd off without breaking it but I know why you don't like doing this job. Time is money for you because it's your business, but this is just a hobby for me. The lcd was very time consuming and difficult to remove without breaking it. I'd say this was more stressful than changing only the lens on a Bold 9000.

Changing the front bezel because it's nicked or chipped is a humongous undertaking that I will not do again! You also have to remove and replace the keypad button cover and ribbon stuff underneath along with the led lens (just sticky tape) and speaker (the foam seal will rip when removing). Darn, I can't even figure out how to remove the keyboard!

damann, I agree, it's just not worth it. But anything for a friend for a fee (or free), right? Unfortunately, I'm this far and have to continue when the parts come in. I'll post again when it's back together.
    Last edited by shfjcs; 10-28-10 at 10:47 PM.
    10-28-10 10:44 PM
    shfjcs, thanks man. That might be the single most helpful post I've read on this site.

Although I must say, its making me even more curious on just how hard it is to take out the LCD, i've got my replacement bezel here, just need to get some screw drivers and I'll dive in. I don't care how long it takes as long as I can get it out without breaking it.

Since the Digitizer is held in with double sided glue/tape, when you put it back in does it fit a little less snug?
    10-29-10 11:17 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD