In 7 months of owning this phone, I have had 4 Torch's caught in a reboot loop, and have had to get replacements. Is there anything that can be done, except for getting replacements? This is such a pain in the @ss that I don't have time for. I enjoy the phone when it works, but it is getting the point of not being worth the trouble. When December rolls around, it'll be time to get rid of this headache...Ughhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    07-10-11 12:27 AM
    Well, what's causing the rebooting? Are you installing an app that isn't compatible, or a theme or something? I have a Torch, and used it, for 8 months and never had an issue.
    07-10-11 12:38 AM
    I'm with Michelle on this one. The only time my Torch was stuck rebooting was after I had loaded a crapload of apps and themes. Then I think I tried to install an incompatible app, and I had to restore the os. I've only switched Torches because of color preferences and none of mine have had reboot issues.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-11 12:42 AM
    Since it's now happened 4 times it's happened in an array of situations, upgrading the OS, rebooting after an app installation, on its own, etc. So I need to know how do I restore the OS if I can't connect to it (because it is constantly rebooting)?
    07-10-11 01:00 AM
    Install the latest OS to your computer. Then use app loader. I got my Torch back up and running in no time. Sometimes you may need to start the app loader at the beginning of the reboot so the device doesn't cut off on you before you can get the process started. If you need more detailed guidance there is a tutorial around here somewhere.

kahj1975 likes this.
    07-10-11 01:04 AM
    Thanks, I finally was able to reload the OS after staying up most of the night. Things seemed ok, and then today I was reinstalling apps onto it, and while I stepped away, it got into another reboot loop! I am able to upgrade in December, and I'm wondering if I'm going to make it until then. I just don't have the free time to be reloading the OS and reinstalling every app if this is going to happen every day!

I'm seriously considering breaking my current contract, paying the ETF, just to get another phone.
    07-10-11 11:47 AM
    Make note of the apps you install that make it get stuck in a reboot loop, and don't install them again. Also, make sure every app you are trying install is compatible with the torch. If you are using Mobihand, and used it for a previous BB, you may be trying to install your old phones version onto your Torch.
    07-10-11 11:53 AM
    The app for this latest reboot loop was Vlingo from BB App World (I am counting 6 times now this phone has been in this reboot loop since I've owned it which is 5 times too many). I am not impressed with this phone's lack of reliability
    07-10-11 12:12 PM
    The only time my torch gets stuck in a reboot loop is when i install more than ~85 apps from app world. this seems to be an irritating bug in the torch (at least, i don't know about other blackberries). i ususally stick with around 82 apps and everything works fine, i uninstall an app before installing another one.
    07-10-11 01:35 PM
    I typically have a load of apps on my Torch and for the last month or so have had to reload my OS many times, typically after adding a program. There is no pattern re what program. Could be a bug.
    07-28-11 06:32 PM
    If you truly want to find and fix the issue, you will be able to. It may take a little time to figure out what app is causing you the trouble. Update to the most current OFFICIAL O.S. for your device AND carrier. And I would certainly check to make sure the theme's and apps you are loading are the correct one for your device. I have seen a couple of Berry's get caught in reboot loop, but never 4 in a row from the same user.

I know it can be frustrating, but hang in there. We can work with you to get it figured out.
    07-28-11 07:15 PM
    I've been having the same issue: continually reboots when updating apps either from the App Store or Mobihand.

I took it in for repair and Bell couldn't fix it so they replaced it. Less than 24 hours later, same thing. I have the latest OS and DM Software on my Torch and on my Win7 laptop.

This is fustrating because there's no telling what software is causing the issue
    09-05-11 04:30 PM
    I just had my Torch 9800 replaced today before the 1 year warranty runs out...I'm going to see if it was a hardware issue or truly an issue with the Torch.

I have the same issue as others have discussed. Latest OS installed, install several apps (maybe 2 dozen)...the device still has plenty of onboard memory left, but when you install one more...BAM. Red light comes on and you are in a reboot cycle. I have to use javaloader and wipe the device and then reinstall the OS from scratch.
    09-10-11 05:24 PM
    I've had the issue on 2 different Torch 9800s
    09-10-11 07:06 PM
    I've got a new twist on this VERY frustrating problem - my Torch 9800 got itself into a similar reboot loop, but only after 5-10 minutes of use each time. Somewhat annoyed, I re-installed the OS and still had the same issue. Increasingly annoyed, I wiped the unit with BBSAK and started fresh, but didn't install any apps... same result. The Torch just seems to shut itself down and reboot at will, no error messages, no apps installed.

I'm a formerly loyal BB user, and rely on it for work email... and I have to admit that unless someone here can give me an effective solution I'm switching over to the darkside soon.

My Torch 9800 is 12.5 months old, which sadly means it's outside the warranty period.

Any tips/advise?
    10-17-11 08:00 PM
    i had 3 reboot loops on my 9810 not even 2 weeks after i got it. exchanged for a new one had the same issue. i think i figured out the problem. i think it was maybe a bad or faulty usb port on my laptop causing it. i would sit at my desk and use the usb cable to charge my phone. and now that ive stopped doing that i havent had a reboot loop happen since. just something to think about if anybody else is doing the same thing...
    10-19-11 05:56 PM
    My Torch 98' freezes when I reboot around 3/4 but when I format built-in. And remove memory card it's normal again...

What seems to be the problem?

10-20-11 07:47 AM
    My Torch 98' freezes when I reboot around 3/4 but when I format built-in. And remove memory card it's normal again...

What seems to be the problem?

Sounds like you discovered the issue...your memory card. The reboot issue or freezes may be caused by a theme, an app or even a SD Card gone bad. If a person uses an old SD card from another phone, there have been people who have had problems with the phone...but others don't.

If the OP has had four phones and this happens to all of them, then most likely it is an issue with an app. Reload the OS but do not install the apps. Then install the apps one at a time. This method allows you to see which app (if any) is causing the problems.

If everything works fine after individually installing the apps, then I would look to replace either my sim or SD card.
    10-20-11 08:51 AM
    I've had this issue three times. This is the second time that it's happened on this particular device. Today, it happened after doing the OTA update to AT&T's OS 6.0.0.600. Does anyone know if Vodafone DE's .668 is a better OS?
    10-20-11 06:03 PM
    Got issue 1 time. It happened after downloading an update which was needed to assess email options. Got a replacment 9800 and haven't had any issues. I think it is to happen 1 more time I will be moving to iphone. You have patience OP and faith

10-20-11 09:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD