Hey Guys,

So, Once I get a buyer for my iPhone 4, I'm going to be going out and picking up a new Torch, after I did an exchange on the one I got for Christmas.

I exchanged that one because it had a bad slider, and a bad keyboard, and when I opened it up Christmas morning, I realised that the box had been resealed (when we picked it up at AT&T on the 19th of December, I asked if they'd wait to open it, as I know how to get everything set up) and that the battery had already been taken out (sticker on the little bag was ripped) as well as the charger.

That Torch had a true "wiggle" to the top component, I understand how because this is a device with moving parts, some slight movement is to be expected, but this was above and beyond that when I did the exchange, and the buttons towards the edge of my keyboard (Q,A,Alt, P, Delete, Return, Left Caps, Right Caps) were all a bit "mush" - The best way I can think to explain was one time when I had reassembled a device, but hadn't set the keyboard all the way into the bezel properly.

My question is for Torch owners who have picked up a new or refurbished device, or existing users/owners who have had to do an exchange for a new device in the past 1-3 months.

-Regarding your keyboard, Do you get a good solid "click" with your keyboard, along the top, left and right edges? (Q,A, Alt, Both caps, P, Delete, Enter)

-Thinking back a few months, closer to launch day, does your top slider component have a considerable amount of side to side (left and right) or one directional (right only, no left, or left only, no right) movement?

-Which facility was your device made? Most Torch's are seeming to come from Mexico 1 and 2, or Canada. This is on your device box, or on the IMEI/Identification Sticker under your device battery.

I know this might be a bit to ask, and may seem obsessive, but I'm just trying to get a good device this time, as not to be let down again like I was the first time, and also to figure out if I really just got a defective, repackaged device, or if some of these things are normal. Thanks for any and all responses.
    04-11-11 10:45 AM
    My device was a Mexico 4. Everything has been working fine on my Torch since the day I got it through today, despite a number of drops on ceramic tile and concrete. Slider is solid and the keyboard has a great "feel" to it. Couldn't be happier.

Oh, I did put a Seidio Innocase Surface cover on it. Works fine and gives the basic protection I need should I reveal my spastic side and drop the phone again.
    Last edited by newcollector; 04-12-11 at 09:54 AM.
    04-11-11 11:53 AM
    My Torch is a Mexico 5. Everything works fine, the keyboard is awesome, however there is the left and right wiggle on the slider. It was noticeable right out of the box, so not induced by my overuse. It has not gotten progressively worse or anything though as I have also dropped by phone several times. My friend has a Torch as well (Can't say which factory it's from) but his does not have the wiggle that mine does.
    04-11-11 12:00 PM
    Hey Guys,

So, Once I get a buyer for my iPhone 4, I'm going to be going out and picking up a new Torch, after I did an exchange on the one I got for Christmas.

I exchanged that one because it had a bad slider, and a bad keyboard, and when I opened it up Christmas morning, I realised that the box had been resealed (when we picked it up at AT&T on the 19th of December, I asked if they'd wait to open it, as I know how to get everything set up) and that the battery had already been taken out (sticker on the little bag was ripped) as well as the charger.

That Torch had a true "wiggle" to the top component, I understand how because this is a device with moving parts, some slight movement is to be expected, but this was above and beyond that when I did the exchange, and the buttons towards the edge of my keyboard (Q,A,Alt, P, Delete, Return, Left Caps, Right Caps) were all a bit "mush" - The best way I can think to explain was one time when I had reassembled a device, but hadn't set the keyboard all the way into the bezel properly.

Sounds like you got a shelf demo model.

My question is for Torch owners who have picked up a new or refurbished device, or existing users/owners who have had to do an exchange for a new device in the past 1-3 months.

-Regarding your keyboard, Do you get a good solid "click" with your keyboard, along the top, left and right edges? (Q,A, Alt, Both caps, P, Delete, Enter)

Physical keyboard has been solid from the start, all keys.

-Thinking back a few months, closer to launch day, does your top slider component have a considerable amount of side to side (left and right) or one directional (right only, no left, or left only, no right) movement?

No movement causing me concerns. Very solid feel.

-Which facility was your device made? Most Torch's are seeming to come from Mexico 1 and 2, or Canada. This is on your device box, or on the IMEI/Identification Sticker under your device battery.

Mexico 4

I know this might be a bit to ask, and may seem obsessive, but I'm just trying to get a good device this time, as not to be let down again like I was the first time, and also to figure out if I really just got a defective, repackaged device, or if some of these things are normal. Thanks for any and all responses.
    For what you've been thru, I'd be OCD as well. Good luck.
    04-11-11 12:07 PM
    I'm on my 3rd Torch. And 3rd time is a charm. I've had this one since the beginning of November. NO issues. All of mine have been Mexico 5's. My wife's Torch has been spot on since day 1. Also a Mexico 5. Hope this helps.

Also, we both have ours in AGF GRT cases. Great protection.
    04-11-11 12:15 PM
    This is my first Torch and I've had it for three months. It's a Mexico 4 and I haven't had any of the issues that you mention. It feels rock solid to me.
    04-11-11 12:39 PM
    Thanks for the responses so far, very interesting results. Seems like very few people are ending up with devices that aren't from Mexico 1-4, and some who are seem to be getting good devices.

I'm thinking that I'm going to just be a bit picky about getting a device this time, even more so because I'll be paying full retail ($399.99) for the device, rather than the $49 new-customer/contract pricing.

Anyone else who'd like to chime in? It'd be much appreciated. If you could also say which colour you have (Black/Silver, White, Red) that will help to see if just the newer batches (with colours other than black) are improving, or all devices across the colour scheme.
    04-11-11 12:44 PM
    I have a Mexico 4, no problems

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-11-11 02:10 PM
    Hi I've had mine about 6-8 weeks. Mexico 4. All keys have distict click but since they are small they can sometimes feel not due to not pushing in exactly the right spot, if that makes sense. Slider was good with no movement at all til I dropped it once, then I noticed it moved a bit. Not side to side, but up and down, like if you lightly push on the edge when slider is open, it will click. When closed it doesn't move at all. When the case is on it doesn't move at all. Case is AGF GRT.

04-11-11 07:51 PM
    I am pretty OCD with any electronic, and by far this Berry hasn't had any faults, even minor ones. Manufactured in Mexico 4. Keys are very responsive, slider is smooth with no wiggle. Had no problems what so ever. I just picked this up about 3 weeks ago new.

04-11-11 08:34 PM
    Well I picked up a new one, and don't seem to be having the creak problem and get a solid click. What causes that, is the upward motion on the screen mixed with the downward motion pressing on the battery cover or something like that( I heard getting a case ASAP will avoid this problem I read this once on a thread). I was fortunate enough to know about the problem before receiving the phone and have been extra cautious when sliding it open ( I know it sounds like burden, but it worked for me). And made in Mexico 4.
    04-11-11 08:45 PM
    Well, Last night my bank cleared my PayPal deposit, and I picked up a Torch, and for the most part, this one is a lot better than the one I got in December, it's Mexico 4, all the keyboard is responsive with good feedback, and this one wasn't resealed, the slider does have a very slight movement to the right, when the screen is closed, but I'm not bothered by it.

My local AT&T store only had a few Commuter cases in for the Torch, so I passed, and have a leather pocket case coming in today, but it seems like this time I got a good device, everyone working last night was pretty surprised by the story of the first device I got (including the rep who sold me the first device!). The only issue I've had so far is what seems like a weird glitch with my trackpad, where it seems like it scrolls right, without me doing it, I'm keeping an eye on it, and I haven't been able to recreate the issue artificially in the device test app, but I am watching for it, just because I know CrackBerry Kevin's 9780 had the same issue.

None the less, Thanks for all the responses, It really helped out so I knew what factories/lines are making the better devices!
    04-12-11 09:00 AM
    Mexico 5, no problem here.

04-12-11 09:08 AM
    Maybe upgrading the os will take care of the trackpad issue? Not sure as I've never had that problem with my Torch. Good luck with this one!
    04-12-11 09:17 AM
    Mexico 4 here, no problems at all.
    04-12-11 09:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD