New BB user here.

Does the phone attempt to use the wifi connection before using my service with at&t?

Both are active in the phones setup. If I am wandering around the house and all of my emails and facebook notifications are coming in, is that coming in via wifi and thus NOT using data in my monthly plan?

THanks for the help!
    12-13-10 09:24 AM
    I'm not too sure which takes priority. I'm pretty sure the At&t service would be used more. But there is apps in appworld that will pick Wifi over your network.
    12-13-10 09:28 AM
    if the wifi logo is white you are using BIS via wifi, so yes all of it goes through your wifi data and not data on your mobile account.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-13-10 09:28 AM
    for data it does use wifi if wifi logo is enable, for UMA you have to choose (under Network and Connection/Mobile Network) Mobile Network Prefer or Wifi Prefer.
    12-13-10 09:34 AM
    what is "BIS"?

At home, near my network, the phone displays the name of the network right above the clock. I'm assuming that as long as that is there its using wifi. Here now at work it says "AT&T" so I am assuming that I would NOT be using wifi. Thus incurring data usage.

When you say "wifi logo" are you referring to the vertical stack of arcs that show wifi reception? Here at work now that appears to be grayed out.

What is "UMA"?
    12-13-10 09:34 AM
    what is "BIS"?

At home, near my network, the phone displays the name of the network right above the clock. I'm assuming that as long as that is there its using wifi. Here now at work it says "AT&T" so I am assuming that I would NOT be using wifi. Thus incurring data usage.

When you say "wifi logo" are you referring to the vertical stack of arcs that show wifi reception? Here at work now that appears to be grayed out.

What is "UMA"?
    BIS stands for Blackberry Internet Service. It's the standard data package.

Yes when you see the name of the wifi network next to AT&T then you are on WiFi.

On the older OS 5.0 devices there was a a black and white wifi logo. ON the OS 6 devices there are the bars that you are referring to.

I'm not sure what UMA stands for.
    Peddle91 likes this.
    12-13-10 01:00 PM
    great.

Thanks!!!

(the thank you button is gone.. Are you limited each day to the number of times you can click that? I've been VERY thankful today!)
    12-13-10 02:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD