Last time I got a refurbished phone, it worked perfectly but it had a lot of scratches on the phone already, more than the phone I had before I got the refurbished one. If I get a refurbished Torch via my warranty shipped to me, will it also be in a similar quality, with scratches and wear-and-tear?
    I just received my second refurb, and I have found them both to be visually perfect with no scratches. I do believe that with a refurb, you are getting an extra quality check. My current refurb is clearly the best so far with no wiggle issues.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-11 10:25 PM
    I received my refurbed Torch over night and it was good as new!! Very pleased with it.
    01-19-11 11:56 AM
    I got a refurbish Torch when they were a penny with AT&T and it came with everything (charger, battery door, etc.) the only time I have gotten a refurbish and it didn't have the battery and cover is when it has been an insurance exchange for the same phone. Also I will attest that a lot of times they are better then the new ones. i.e. I have not had the screen wiggle problem that a lot of people on these forums have.
    This is how I got my refurbished Torch. Ordered online from AT&T as a 1 cent upgrade from my 4-year-old Pearl 8100. With free shipping, it still came to $5.something total with tax. Where that $5 in tax came from with only a one cent price, I don't know .

Had it now a month, and it's been great.

I do have a slight wiggle with my screen and a slight rocking when pressing the trackpad buttons while open. But not enough to really bother me. No other issues. Not even the issue of SMS messages opening in the middle of the thread - it always opens at the bottom most recent message. Running AT&T's latest OS (as of this post), .246.

And I got everything that Finch250's posted pics above show. Charger, USB cable, booklet, 3" driver/software disc, back cover, SD card, battery, all of it. The only thing I didn't use was the provided SD card. I already had a 4Gb SD card that I was using in the Pearl with pictures and stuff still on it. So I just popped that card in the new phone and all is well.
    Last edited by joeldf; 01-19-11 at 01:37 PM.
    01-19-11 01:30 PM
    So is it a consensus that all the refurbished Torches are essentially brand new cosmetically and are as good as a brand new Torch overall?

Because my deadline is coming up to buy the Best Buy Insurance on my phone ($9.99 a month) but it guaranties me a new phone.
    I can do that or I can go to AT&T and get a Refurbished one for free. Which should be my best bet?

Is it really worth the $9.99?
    Last edited by cratskomodo; 01-21-11 at 12:09 PM.
    01-21-11 12:05 PM
    Is it really worth the $9.99?
    Depends on how much you may need that 10 bucks. Will you have enough for lunch later...

I think you will be good either way. The warranty period is much shorter on a refurb bought online from AT&T (3 months, I think), so you'll have to weight that into your decision.

BTW, to add to what you get with the refurb, my box also included a set of stereo ear buds in a sealed bag. They are crap for listening to music (all "ear buds" are, I don't care who makes them), but good for listening to news podcasts.
    01-21-11 12:47 PM
    ^I'll just pay for the insurance, good to have a new phone now for 10 bucks and also have my warranty just in case later on. Thanks for the help.
    01-21-11 12:51 PM
    I have a refurbished blackberry torch and mine came with everything and it looked brand new. no scratches or anything.
    01-21-11 07:54 PM
    +1 on the refurb Torch. I got mine this week from AT&T for $9.99 and it had all the little clear stickers on it, not a scratch on it, looks just like the one my husband got new in October from the AT&T store. Only think I didn't get that I thought came with them (but maybe not, haven't though to ask my husband) is the screen wiping cloth.
    01-21-11 09:29 PM
    On my fourth torch. Let's see if this refurb works.

01-22-11 12:10 AM
    I just went thru insurance yesterday and they are send me the torch to replace my 9700 and I hope it comes with everything like the others have posted. Guess we will see tomorrow

02-06-11 12:35 PM
    I just returned my phone for another one through my carrier (Rogers)
    The phone looked perfectly new and clean and fine, no scratches whatsoever
    How do you tell if you got a new one or a refurb?
    02-06-11 10:03 PM
    refurb electronics (all) that are defective returns that are repaired and reissued to customers (whether for sale or trade) are more sound than new products from the factory. more times than not, the internal parts that are replaced are of much better quality than OEM. also most, if not all of the kinks, are already worked out!

for this reason, i will usually seek out electronics that are refurbs from the manufacture. great deals, better quality!
    02-07-11 12:39 AM
    I just got my refurb in the mail the other day, looks brand new and everything came in the box just like a new phone. My only complaint is this one has a slight open wobble where as my last one had no wobble.
    02-07-11 04:37 AM
    Never had a refurb with my torch but other bb's looked out the box new... Refurbs should look good minus the fact they don't ship with batteries or battery doors, atleast att doesn't ship them that way..

i just ordered my refurb for 10$ and it came with battery and battery door
    02-08-11 08:33 PM
    Got my refurb yesterday and my screen wobbles. Also keep getting the message, insert Sim card when the card is inserted. Going to call them today and see what they say. Came with battery cover, media card, charger and headset. Current version 6.0 bundle 695. Dnt know what that mean.

02-09-11 06:26 AM
    i tried to get a warranty replacement device last month. the one they sent me had a messed up trackpad (scrolled around on its own without even touching it). i sent it back. i found an AT&T device repair center locally and went in person to replace my original device. i was able to inspect the replacement refurb in person. it has a great tight sliding action, no wobble, and everything is in perfect working order. i suggest doing this when you need a replacement, not having to wait for one in the mail. refurbs could be hit or miss, but i would say 99% of the time, the QC on them are quite impressive.
    02-10-11 03:10 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD