When I plug my torch ( running 0S6 and on BES ) into my work laptop and try access a site it goes throught the proxy and askes me to authenticate.
    I then have to wait a while, battery pull etc and only then can I access the web again ( plugged out of laptop)

Is there a way to stop this?

When not plugged into pc it doesnt select the proxy?
    12-23-10 04:11 AM
    When I plug my torch ( running 0S6 and on BES ) into my work laptop and try access a site it goes throught the proxy and askes me to authenticate.
    I then have to wait a while, battery pull etc and only then can I access the web again ( plugged out of laptop)

Is there a way to stop this?

When not plugged into pc it doesnt select the proxy?
    While difficult to troubleshoot without being there and being able to see the TCP/IP configurations of both your Torch and laptop, I can at least provide some basic guidelines which you may be able to troubleshoot, and work your way closer to a full solution based upon.

It sounds as though your work laptop has been configured by your IT staff to make all connections through a secured proxy which requires authentication, and they seem to have extended this policy to include tethered devices connected over USB.

It may be best to first off, get in touch with your IT manager and ask them about any proxy policies which are in place within your corporate environment, Your BlackBerry could be connecting through a proxy without you even knowing, as it's possible to control/configure proxy mapping for the MDS within the BES console.

(P.S - This may find the attention it needs if moved to the Business Users / BlackBerry Administrators forum(s))
    evilredzombie likes this.
    12-23-10 05:40 AM
    While difficult to troubleshoot without being there and being able to see the TCP/IP configurations of both your Torch and laptop, I can at least provide some basic guidelines which you may be able to troubleshoot, and work your way closer to a full solution based upon.

It sounds as though your work laptop has been configured by your IT staff to make all connections through a secured proxy which requires authentication, and they seem to have extended this policy to include tethered devices connected over USB.

It may be best to first off, get in touch with your IT manager and ask them about any proxy policies which are in place within your corporate environment, Your BlackBerry could be connecting through a proxy without you even knowing, as it's possible to control/configure proxy mapping for the MDS within the BES console.

(P.S - This may find the attention it needs if moved to the Business Users / BlackBerry Administrators forum(s))
    Know the BES admin and teh policies well... but on my 9700 I had a Blackberry browser and a internet option ( one went throught proxy and other throught normal network provider) so i had a choice... seems OS6 on the torch removed that option in setting.

and when the proxy used to block me on the 9700 i had the option of adding my domain username and password for my company, after wich i was allowed... now it states proxy auth required but there is no block to add the domain username and pw?
    12-24-10 12:10 AM
    Know the BES admin and teh policies well... but on my 9700 I had a Blackberry browser and a internet option ( one went throught proxy and other throught normal network provider) so i had a choice... seems OS6 on the torch removed that option in setting.

and when the proxy used to block me on the 9700 i had the option of adding my domain username and password for my company, after wich i was allowed... now it states proxy auth required but there is no block to add the domain username and pw?
    The ability to choose between browsers was removed as part of OS6 (along with the choice of Hotspot/Internet browser) to make the OS6 more simplistic to new users who may find the options confusing, and not understand the difference until it's explained to them by someone who does grasp the concept of the two.

It seems that as part of OS6, Proxy configuration may be forced set by the IT policy, and not able to be set by the user via a popup dialogue, however this is just an assumption/best guess based on some information I've found via looking through a few other sites, as well as the RIM KB articles for this sort of thing, so again your BES admin may be the ultimate solution for your issue, if you've not resolved it yourself.
    12-25-10 03:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD