As someone who is planning on acquiring a 9800, it'd be nice to know if the 624mhz can be replaced with a more powerful one? It'd be nice to have the option from any kind of 3rd party if I am to enter a 2yr contract for this device. Thanks. I'm sure i'll be satisfied, but it's the latter half of the contract that I'm worried about as I'd expect RIM to produce more enticing things to come.
    08-08-10 07:41 AM
    nope, not at all... will never happen... and ever IF you could replace the chipset, the OS for the 9800 wont be able to use it, or detect it as it is only written for the chip currently in there...

and there will always be something more exciting out there, if you dont want the 9800 then wait
    08-08-10 08:36 AM
    I wouldn't say never. Just about anything is possible if you have the cash. Now, why in the world someone would dump millions into a $500 phone is another thought.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-10 08:46 AM
    I wouldn't say never. Just about anything is possible if you have the cash. Now, why in the world someone would dump millions into a $500 phone is another thought.

Never.

There, I said it. And it's true, the answer is never.
    08-08-10 09:52 AM
    As someone who is planning on acquiring a 9800, it'd be nice to know if the 624mhz can be replaced with a more powerful one? It'd be nice to have the option from any kind of 3rd party if I am to enter a 2yr contract for this device. Thanks. I'm sure i'll be satisfied, but it's the latter half of the contract that I'm worried about as I'd expect RIM to produce more enticing things to come.
    What a ridiculous question, read more and post less.
    08-08-10 10:02 AM

it will NEVER happen! People here need to do a little research before posting preposterous stuff like this.
    08-08-10 10:05 AM
    NEVER. The hardware has to support the hardware meaning the board has to support the layout of the new chip + its specs and since there are no bb with a higher chip there is no chance the board supports such a thing.
    08-08-10 10:11 AM
    I can put a chip in your nintendo wii for you so you can boot leg any game... lol
    08-08-10 10:21 AM
    Swapping out a cpu isn't like putting a better carburetor on a motor (for those who know what it was like before fuel injection). It has to be incorporated in the original design... Unfortunately that means waiting on RIM to do it. All the skeptics, who don't seem to grasp that battery technology improves just like all other sectors of technology, claim that it would kill the battery; RIM seems to not grasp that what got them onto the scene years ago isn't sufficient today. History is full of examples of persons or whole companies being initial trail blazers and then either losing steam or fumbling the ball entirely and a second party picking the slack and saying "I will take it from here", leaving the inventor in the history books.

Politics to. Whole revolutions ended that way, didn't they...

A review in the wall street journal of the 9800, in a nutshell, said that it worked fairly well in the beginning, quickly became clumsy, lagged and became so incoherent he had to preform what we commonly call a battery pull to fix it... Concluding like most reviews that it did improve on some previous blackberries but didn't catch up to the iphone and google platforms.

Okay, how many people do you see on the freeway driving Model-T's?
    Case closed .

08-08-10 11:17 AM
    Im pretty sure its pretty difficult to replace to CPU only, if you can do it at all. Its not quite like a PC where you could swap out as long as your board supported it.

I have no idea if you could somehow hack the phone to overclock it though, like Android and root access.
    08-08-10 12:07 PM
    you cannot hack a BB, simple, done. end
    08-08-10 12:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD