Forget what the title says above. I want to edit the title but it won't let me.
    New Titles - Battery X icon Problem

Hi all,

I bought a torch off ebay fairly cheap with a fault that it doesn't turn on. The seller claims its brand new but just doesn't turn on.

Could someone list the possible reasons why it wouldn't work? I bought the phone ealier and won't be receiving it till Friday.

Im not hoping it would turn on, just want to know if there is any possiblity on how to fix it.

Any help kindly appreciated
    Last edited by Krack-Berri; 06-03-11 at 10:53 AM.
    06-01-11 05:13 PM
    It may be a defective phone. It may have a defective battery. Ask the seller what has been tried to make it work. I hope it was real cheap. If the seller knows it won't turn on, then it has to be an opened box.

What is the seller's approval rating and how many sales have they had?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-11 08:26 PM
    Wow, I hope it was a good deal. Kinda cool if it was and you get to tinker around with it! First thing is to plug it in and see what does or doesn't happen. Could also likely be a water damaged unit that won't turn on due to a fried motherboard.
    06-01-11 08:48 PM
    Something I personally would have searched before buying it, but at any rate...

It could be several issues, kind of hard to say unless you know exactly what it does (or doesn't)

Could be a battery issue. Could be a software issue, could be a hardware issue...

Once you get it, post again (in this thread, don't start a new one) and let us know what the scoop.

Does it show any activity? Red led, no led? Red battery with an X through it? only workes when plugged in? Recognized by DM / PC ? Etc....

06-02-11 12:09 AM
    It may be a defective phone. It may have a defective battery. Ask the seller what has been tried to make it work. I hope it was real cheap. If the seller knows it won't turn on, then it has to be an opened box.

What is the seller's approval rating and how many sales have they had?

Hi, the seller has 150+ positive feedback. He had about 10-12 blackberry sales in a day or 2. All brand new but faulty. I won a auction from him 2 days ago and received the phone yesterday, and am hoping to fix that when the battery arrives. He only sells the phone without the battery and back cover.

He hasn't mentioned why it won't turn on, what caused it etc..
    06-02-11 04:02 AM
    Something I personally would have searched before buying it, but at any rate...

It could be several issues, kind of hard to say unless you know exactly what it does (or doesn't)

Could be a battery issue. Could be a software issue, could be a hardware issue...

Once you get it, post again (in this thread, don't start a new one) and let us know what the scoop.

Does it show any activity? Red led, no led? Red battery with an X through it? only workes when plugged in? Recognized by DM / PC ? Etc....
    Hi, the seller hasn't mentioned anything. But i'll see how it goes.
    06-02-11 04:04 AM
    HIGHLY doubt its brand new. No one would accept a new phone that can't turn on and choose to sell it at a huge loss on ebay instead lol.

It could be anything from someone tampering with the hardware or software or battery! Look on the back of the phone. Does it have a blue circular tape over one of the screws? If not its likely someone has opened that phone up n tinkered with the hardware...

If its water damaged, there's a white sticker on the back of the phone under the bit where the battery is supposed to be that will turn red when the phone comes into contatct with water. Or if you leave your phone in the bathroom enough times when having a shower.

Last edited by nashstruck; 06-02-11 at 06:04 AM.
    06-02-11 06:01 AM
    Dont forget there are a number of aftermarket batteries that need to be coppied from an original batery. Blackberry is making smart batteries and if its not an OEM battery or a cloned one once they go dead the device will not charge it. It will give an error message.
    Its probably not related to this but hey you could luck out.
    Everybody has mentioned the most obvious but i figured i would add this as yet another suggestion.
    06-02-11 04:12 PM
    Hi all, I received the torch this morning.

Well the first thing I noticed was when I pluged it in via usb the red light turned on and suddenly the phone turned on with the battery symbol with a x over it. Which was because there was no battery inside it.

I think the seller sent me the wrong torch..he was selling another torch with the battery x problem and the one i bought was described as "..no power up", which I think mean't it doesnt even turn on?

The phone didn't come with a battery or back cover so I ordered them seperate, i received the phone and back cover this morning but no battery as of yet.

I youtubed this problem and found out this "battery unlock" device, which gives batteries enough power to fix the problem. Which I also just ordered.

Lets just see what happenes.
    06-03-11 10:50 AM
    you would have been better off just ordering an original battery......yeh it costs more but you saved the money on the phone.
    06-06-11 04:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD