I just ordered a Torch and was wondering if it was possible to get by on the 200MB DataPlus plan for ATT?

I don't browse a ton, maybe 2-3 websites a day if that. I don't really download music or watch very many youtube videos (maybe like 1-2 a week if someone wants to show me a funny viral video or something).

I do send about 20-30 BBMS a day and receive anywhere from 20-30 emails per day. I open about 3-4 attachments daily (a couple of photos and a couple of word documents).

I also regularly use apps like FB and Twitter-- I would say medium usage.

Does anyone have any insight onto how this worked for them? How much data they use and how they use it?

I tried searching and most of the other threads involve older devices, but since the BB6 browser has less compression and uses more data, I was looking for BB6 results...
    05-04-11 12:55 AM
    If that's it then you would be fine on the 200 MB plan. I use a bit more than you listed and also youtube some and MLBAtBat and some others. Of course if you are near wifi that helps to keep it down also. But my first month I chose the 200 MB and used roughly 130 or so, most of which was due to a power outage at my home for a few days that cut out my wifi and also streaming most of a ballgame during that time when away from home.
    Also you can keep an eye on your usage and upgrade if needed to the larger plan if you see you may go over. If you are/will be on AT&t they also send a text to you when you reach like 75%. Just try it and see how it works for you. Hope this helps.
    05-04-11 07:29 AM
    My usage is barely less than what you describe. No videos for me. Those are data hogs. I use under 80megs a month most months. Ran just over 100 only one time. Monitoring data usage is easy. Try this free app e-office mobile - Mobile Data Alerter If you start to run too high you can adjust usage or change your plan. Without music or video 200megs is a lot.
    05-04-11 07:31 AM
    Oh and also for my second month I upgraded to the 2GB (as I planned to be away from home some this month at times, ect.) just to be safe and lol with like 2 weeks left I think I'm around 40 something mb used. Again most of my day is spent around wifi which really helps to keep it down too. Take that into consideration and just see how it goes for you. Remembering you can adjust your plan up if and when needed.
    05-04-11 07:32 AM
    I receive around 50 emails and send maybe 15 per day, access facebook and twitter a couple of times daily, use the browser for maybe 20 mins per day and also use google maps once per month for navigation. My monthly usage is usually between 130 and 140 mb.

BB's are deffinately data friendly when compared to other devices.
    05-04-11 07:49 AM
    I receive around 50 emails and send maybe 15 per day, access facebook and twitter a couple of times daily, use the browser for maybe 20 mins per day and also use google maps once per month for navigation. My monthly usage is usually between 130 and 140 mb.

BB's are definitely data friendly when compared to other devices.
    The BB data compression works wonders for all of us.
    05-04-11 08:02 AM
    If you have WiFi at home and get the FREE "WiFi Manager" from App World you will dramatically lower your data usage. You can easily check data and IM usage by dialing *3282# (*data#) on your phone. Back will come an IM from AT&T showing your billing cycle date, your data usage to date and the number of IM's you've used.

If you get the WiFi Manager App and "Save" your home and other frequented HotSpots, the manager will turn off your phone's WiFi app, thus saving battery, and then turn it back on when it detects the saved WiFi. I frequent Starbucks and other coffee houses and have their WiFi saved in the app as well as two that have
    WEP keys.
    05-04-11 08:26 AM
    For the month of March I downloaded around 60 hours of podcasts and made a real effort to use as much data as I could, doing things like running Google Maps every time I got in the car and other such activities to ensure I wasn't always on WiFi. This resulted in 797mb used for March (followed by 414mb in April, showing me I just couldn't keep up that pace), keeping the data usage far below my girlfriends iPhone4 usage. I'm very happy with BB data compression.
    05-04-11 12:15 PM
    I get roughly 40 emails a day from work-few more from personal email. No wifi.

No streaming of any kind.

Last month=51megs

I like the free app Cell Manager-it resets on its own every month and tracks all your data usage in real time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-04-11 05:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD