At the risk of beating the "wiggling" discussion to death I've posted a pic which shows the difference between the devices. I'm hoping this might help someone when they go to a store to test drive the units.

Both are Mexico 5 with a build date 3 weeks later for the one on the left which makes me suspect their quality is improving as the manufacturing continues.

You can see the one on the left has the bottom lip of the slider relatively tight against the base of the phone...kind of like a hand in a glove to use that metaphor. This is the non-wiggling one.

The device on the right has the slider raised up and it is not recessed into the bottom part of the phone.

Now having said that, both phones have some wiggle. The difference being that the one on the right has much more wiggle to it. You can also feel more restriction in the sliding mechanism with the left one i.e. it feels tight. Whether this will loosen up over time - who knows.

I should also state that the unit on the right isn't that bad and some may even prefer it as the slider moves more quickly when opening. To me it really is almost a coin toss as both are good devices although I'm going to keep the one on the left in the hopes that it won't loosen up further.

Hope this helps future purchasers.
    Last edited by mhw100; 11-27-10 at 12:00 PM.
    cronaldo, smesim85 and Andy357 like this.
    11-27-10 11:56 AM
    Nice reference for newbies. I'd like to assure new buyers that unless your phone falls apart into two separate pieces, wiggle is normal.
    11-27-10 12:13 PM
    Nice reference for newbies. I'd like to assure new buyers that unless your phone falls apart into two separate pieces, wiggle is normal.
    I have come to believe it is too. I've handled a ton of these now and have written about the wiggle in other threads here. Rogers has been kind enough to keep sending them so finally I think I've got one that is possible the standard of perfection for this device.
    11-27-10 12:25 PM
    +2
    I'm not saying some sliders aren't too 'wiggly', but I think the fear of it has surpassed the actual number of legitimate issues.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-10 12:43 PM
    Oh for the love of all that is holy! More of this "wiggle", "wobble" stupidity. I swear
    BlackBerry users are some of the most hysterical, nitpicking babies on Earth.
    11-27-10 01:52 PM
    Hm. I don't see any attachments.
    11-27-10 02:10 PM
    Hm. I don't see any attachments.
    Clear your cache and refresh your browser. It is definitely there.
    11-27-10 02:20 PM
    Oh for the love of all that is holy! More of this "wiggle", "wobble" stupidity. I swear
    I knew it would "wobble" soon as this device hit the air waves. Pretty sure all sliders do....
    11-27-10 02:48 PM
    Thanks for the picture. This will help Crackberry members, wanting a Torch, visually identify a possibly wobbly device. Unfortunately so many people don't have knowledge of this nature until after they purchase their new device and then search the web to find out they could have avoided certain problems.
    11-27-10 02:59 PM
    I knew it would "wobble" soon as this device hit the air waves. Pretty sure all sliders do....
    True but there is wobbly and there is rediculously wobbly. My first Torch was the later.
    the screen would move a little more than a couple mm side to side and up/down when it was closed. When it was open it would literally rattle with a very gentle shake to demonstrate. We currently have 6 and it was the only one so loose. The rest are all about the same.
    11-27-10 03:06 PM
    +1 This man speaketh the truth.

What's lame is my buddy's shopping for a new phone and Googled the Torch..and lo and behold..I get a BBM from him saying "The torch has a wobble?..Gay"
    11-27-10 03:09 PM
    ... I think the fear of it has surpassed the actual number of legitimate issues.
    Well put. Silly internet
    11-27-10 03:52 PM
    News flash John, mine does not. Nor do my parents, three (3) of my brothers,
    nine (9) of my friends, and six (6) of my co-workers.

This BS has gotten to epic proportions and I blame sites like this. One person
    says it and lo and behold all sorts of morons come out of the woodworks
    crying about the same damn thing. It's almost as if there is an infection of
    "sympathetic idiocy"
    11-27-10 04:51 PM
    Mine wobbles a bit, but if I had not read about it on here.....

It would never have bothered me and I would have figured that it happens from use.
    11-27-10 04:57 PM
    ^ Same here. I would never have noticed it if I hadn't read about it here. Suddenly my nit-picky brain blew it out of proportion and I claimed myself a victim of the wobble. Then I realized the design of the device requires some play and I was being a sheep. Wobble accepted.
    11-27-10 05:49 PM
    The "Wobble" is an urban myth started by iphone users. I consider the slide design amazing, myself.
    11-27-10 06:34 PM
    The "Wobble" is an urban myth started by iphone users. I consider the slide design amazing, myself.
    I agree with you
    11-27-10 11:12 PM
    no wobble here. and i even dropped mine on concrete! didn't loosen at all. "toight... toight as a taiguh!"
    11-28-10 02:02 AM
    Love the Torch very minimal movement on my Torch but it is actually a solid device, no doubt. Every slider has a slight movement
    11-28-10 02:15 AM
    In spite of this horrifying "Wobble" epidemic, I haven't heard of any instances of sliders falling off or malfunctioning. In fact, in the crackberry review video, he's beating it with his hand. The "play" is going to be there. If people can't live with it they should return it and get a non-slider phone.
    11-28-10 07:53 AM
    I'm happy for all of you with a solid slider. Mine wobbles, it's annoying.

My first one was worse, it actually made a clicking noise every time I pressed the screen. I couldn't stand it so I returned that one, and got one that felt solid for a while, I was really happy. Then it slowly started moving as well. It's annoying, I don't think you should dismiss others complaints so readily. It's a build defect that RIM is no doubt very aware about and attempting to fix within the sustaining group for the phone.
    11-28-10 09:14 AM
    1. The "Wobble" is NOT an urban myth
    2. Yes, every slider should have slight movement
    3. Who cares about one phone demo in one Crackberry review video. Is that meant to represent every Torch made?

I will agree, the wobble is over discussed here and possibly made some a little paranoid.
    Still, a few phones are going to be defective and some are going to eventually wind-up in the hands of would-be Crackberry fans..
    Just like every other problem brought to the forum, this problem represents the huge minority but doesn't mean it does not exist.
    People like myself who have experienced this problem first hand do not need anyone to tell them it's 'normal' , it's not.
    If you have a Torch and 10 friends and 5 family members do as well, and none of them have a wobble issue, that's great. That's how it should be.
    If you have a Torch that has a little bit of play (to be expected) and if you are easily swayed into thinking that it must be defective because of this, then it's probably a good idea for you to stop reading about it on these forums.
    If you have a Torch, like the first one I had, which you could hear the slider rattling against the body, when opened, you're not crazy and should return it. You don't need people here telling you there is no such thing as a defective wobbly Torch. The second one has been much better and in line with how it should be and it's the same as the rest of the 9800 devices in our office.
    11-28-10 09:20 AM
    Very well said bro
    11-28-10 09:23 AM
    1. The "Wobble" is NOT an urban myth
    2. Yes, every slider should have slight movement
    3. Who cares about one phone demo in one Crackberry review video. Is that meant to represent every Torch made?

I will agree, the wobble is over discussed here and possibly made some a little paranoid.
    Still, a few phones are going to be defective and some are going to eventually wind-up in the hands of would-be Crackberry fans..
    Just like every other problem brought to the forum, this problem represents the huge minority but doesn't mean it does not exist.
    People like myself who have experienced this problem first hand do not need anyone to tell them it's 'normal' , it's not.
    If you have a Torch and 10 friends and 5 family members do as well, and none of them have a wobble issue, that's great. That's how it should be.
    If you have a Torch that has a little bit of play (to be expected) and if you are easily swayed into thinking that it must be defective because of this, then it's probably a good idea for you to stop reading about it on these forums.
    If you have a Torch, like the first one I had, which you could hear the slider rattling against the body, when opened, you're not crazy and should return it. You don't need people here telling you there is no such thing as a defective wobbly Torch. The second one has been much better and in line with how it should be and it's the same as the rest of the 9800 devices in our office.

Obviously you had a genuinely defective device and a legitimate complaint. I was merely addressing the dozens of users who are perfectly happy with their phone and then read one of the many Wobble threads here, run to their phone and think "Oh My God, I've got it too"
    11-28-10 10:00 AM
    I owned both Rogers Torch (Sold my black & got the one) from Rogers, Both Mexican. Bot Rock solid, no Wobbble issues at all..
    11-28-10 10:32 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD