I've had my torch for 5 days and all was going well until today. Phone kept turning off and freezing up. Called support and they told me to get a new phone. Has anyone else found this to be a recurring problem?
    08-22-10 06:41 PM
    I've had my torch for 5 days and all was going well until today. Phone kept turning off and freezing up. Called support and they told me to get a new phone. Has anyone else found this to be a recurring problem?
    No it is not a recurring problem, you need to trade your phone in..
    08-22-10 07:25 PM
    Have you tried a battery pull? Sometimes when my BB is on the fritz that works. If not, it could just be that device. I'd exchange it if it doesn't stop doing that.
    08-24-10 06:28 PM
    What have u installed on it? It seems to be something u installed is in conflict with the OS.
    08-24-10 07:12 PM
    I replaced a Torch for a similar issue. The replacement does the same thing. Here's what happens: The phone will be sitting in the holster and I'll receive a call. I try to answer the call but all of the physical buttons (keyboard, mouse, blackberry key, etc.) are frozen. The touch screen, however, is functioning. A battery pull fixes it for a while. I didnt load any apps on the 2nd Torch just to be sure that wasnt the issue. I believe it might have something to do with my Bluetooth headset (Im just grabbing at straws at this point). My next move will be to do a wipe and not use the bluetooth. Im close to going back to my Bold.
    08-25-10 07:42 PM
    I'm on my SECOND Torch for freezing issues. I'm going to try a new SIM card and see if that fixes it...I can't believe two out-of-the box devices have the same problem! Soft reset helps, but I never had this problem with my Bold.
    08-28-10 10:29 PM
    Hmm. Not seeing this on my Torch. What OS? What applications do you use? FB, Twitter or BBM? What BT headset?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by shansmi; 08-28-10 at 10:41 PM.
    08-28-10 10:38 PM
    I'm on my SECOND Torch for freezing issues. I'm going to try a new SIM card and see if that fixes it...I can't believe two out-of-the box devices have the same problem! Soft reset helps, but I never had this problem with my Bold.
    Just tried a sim card swap on Thursday. Still have the problem. Now I am wondering if my Bold case (with the big magnet) might somehow be the issue. I am with you in that there is little chance that this issue has happened to two new Torch phones unless I am somehow causing the problem.

Stuff I've tried:

New sim card
    removed SD card
    removed all downloaded apps
    "wiped" phone
    Many many battery pulls
    removed all email accounts (except for 'desktop')

When I received the 2nd phone, I did nothing to it except changed the sim. Never downloaded anything, didnt customize the settings AT ALL. I mean even to the point where I am using the ATT logo for wallpaper and the ATT ringtone.

I'm getting my third Torch on Monday, where I'll do the same as number two and not use the magnet holster.

Very frustrating. I am missing my awesome Bold right now.
    08-28-10 10:53 PM
    Wait right there! You are on BES. There are known BES issues with this device at this time.

Do you use BBM?

08-28-10 10:57 PM
    Try removing the media card. There may be a corrupt file on it.
    08-28-10 11:49 PM
    Wait right there! You are on BES. There are known BES issues with this device at this time.

Do you use BBM?

I'm on BES and I occasionally use BBM for work.
    08-28-10 11:54 PM
    Ok, then it may be a BES sync issue causing your problems. Those are known to exist at this time.

If you are using BBM, it is not at fault. I say that only because if not used it just sits there in the background waiting to be set up. This can cause issues with any app that requires a key as well but BBM is special since it is a required app that behaves the way it does. Have you updated it to 5.0.1.38?

08-28-10 11:59 PM
    I replaced a Torch for a similar issue. The replacement does the same thing. Here's what happens: The phone will be sitting in the holster and I'll receive a call. I try to answer the call but all of the physical buttons (keyboard, mouse, blackberry key, etc.) are frozen. The touch screen, however, is functioning. A battery pull fixes it for a while. I didnt load any apps on the 2nd Torch just to be sure that wasnt the issue. I believe it might have something to do with my Bluetooth headset (Im just grabbing at straws at this point). My next move will be to do a wipe and not use the bluetooth. Im close to going back to my Bold.
    Just tried a sim card swap on Thursday. Still have the problem. Now I am wondering if my Bold case (with the big magnet) might somehow be the issue. I am with you in that there is little chance that this issue has happened to two new Torch phones unless I am somehow causing the problem.

Stuff I've tried:

New sim card
    removed SD card
    removed all downloaded apps
    "wiped" phone
    Many many battery pulls
    removed all email accounts (except for 'desktop')

When I received the 2nd phone, I did nothing to it except changed the sim. Never downloaded anything, didnt customize the settings AT ALL. I mean even to the point where I am using the ATT logo for wallpaper and the ATT ringtone.

I'm getting my third Torch on Monday, where I'll do the same as number two and not use the magnet holster.

Very frustrating. I am missing my awesome Bold right now.
    The holster is your problem! I had that same issue until I stopped using the holster and bought a non-holster hard plastic case for it and I haven't had that happen since.
    08-29-10 01:55 AM
    Strange. I am using the provided 9700 case with no issues till my Otterbox arrives.

08-29-10 01:59 AM
    The holster is your problem! I had that same issue until I stopped using the holster and bought a non-holster hard plastic case for it and I haven't had that happen since.

That's your opinion and you know what they say about opinions...
    Wow! This turned out to be the problem. I am thrilled to know the solution and can go back to loving the Torch.

To summarize: If you have a Torch that is freezing up (not for a few seconds but a total lock up, where you have to pull the battery) and you are using a holster that has magnets (like the ones made for the Curve and the Bold), the cause of the frozen Torch is the effect that the magnets are having on the phone. Change your holster!

Thanks to everybody who contributed. I really appreciate the help.
    08-29-10 09:17 PM
    Exactly what holster were you using? I am using a pouch that came with a 9700 until my Otterbox arrives with no issues so far.

08-29-10 09:45 PM
    using the holster for the storm 2 doesn't give me any problems at all..
    just to give other torch owners an alternative aside from the 9800 case
    08-29-10 09:49 PM
    I deleted the unhelpful, troll like posts!
    08-29-10 09:53 PM
    Exactly what holster were you using? I am using a pouch that came with a 9700 until my Otterbox arrives with no issues so far.

I was using a holster made for the Bold and the Curve.
    08-29-10 10:24 PM
    using the holster for the storm 2 doesn't give me any problems at all..
    just to give other torch owners an alternative aside from the 9800 case
    Thanks for the tip. I need a new holster starting tomorrow.
    08-29-10 10:24 PM
    I deleted the unhelpful, troll like posts!
    Trolls suck.
    08-29-10 10:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD