Vendor.xml

My 9800 gets warm at the back even when the phone is on a charger. Not a battery issue since the heat is at the lower right corner. I found that if you go >> Options > Device > Application Management > slide to CPU, to see what process is using how much CPU. In my case �Phone� is using close to 100% when the phone is idle!!! During my research I found postings stating that if you are using OS released by other provider then your phone could have hard time identifying the network. I always try every new OS as it comes out, but a few days later I realize that I have the same issue. Everything works perfectly except my battery life goes down due to the fact that the CPU is running all the time 100% (looking for the handshake from my provider [Rogers]).

When I switch back the 448 (latest OS from Rogers) everything is fine!
    Does anyone know more about the Vendor.xml?
    I want to trick my phone to think that I�m using a Rogers OS even if I�m not.
    05-31-11 04:02 PM
    OS's are device specific, not carrier. It's probably a bad radio coded into the OS.
    ZPingu likes this.
    05-31-11 04:04 PM
    In all OSs since 448?
    05-31-11 11:53 PM
    I dont think the phone app has anything to do directly with the radio. It doesn't control the radio chip or background connection to the cellular network, its just an app that you can remove from the phone and the blackberry will work fine, just no phone app to make or receive calls.

Mind posting any third party applications you have installed?

Did you try the latest leaked OS .570?
    Last edited by gbsn; 06-01-11 at 01:21 AM.
    ZPingu likes this.
    06-01-11 01:18 AM
    My third party apps are: Bloomberg Mobile, Google Maps, nagago outdoor, Free Chess, Reversi Free.
    Yes I have tried .570 as well as any other release or leak for the 9800.

Also noticed the occasional [ ] hour glass (black square) that sometimes takes a minute or more to allow me to use anything. (Never had this with .448)

The strange thing is that when the "Phone" is taking 100% of my CPU the 9800 is idle (on charge for example) - if I touch it and try to do something it will allow me to take full control immediately and the "Phone" process will no longer use any CPU.

Thx!!
    06-01-11 09:08 AM
    My third party apps are: Bloomberg Mobile, Google Maps, nagago outdoor, Free Chess, Reversi Free.
    Yes I have tried .570 as well as any other release or leak for the 9800.

Also noticed the occasional [ ] hour glass (black square) that sometimes takes a minute or more to allow me to use anything. (Never had this with .448)

The strange thing is that when the "Phone" is taking 100% of my CPU the 9800 is idle (on charge for example) - if I touch it and try to do something it will allow me to take full control immediately and the "Phone" process will no longer use any CPU.

Thx!!
    Are these all the apps?, thats strangely weird. The only thing i can suggest is backing up the apps (optionally, since you have only a few) via bbsak or the device transfer wizard of desktop manager (its posted in the help forum, the how to), then backup the data (address book and stuff) and do a clean installation of the latest OS. Then install each 3rd party app one by one and see if you experience the same behavior, since you have only a few of them. Then restore the data from the backup, and then check for the same behavior.

If you had like a call blocker or caller ID apps of the sort, it would be easy to pin point, but none of these actually relate to that. You can optionally enable the engineering screen and look at the processes directly from there, as it will show you the exact modules using the CPU and real time usage with no lags.

There is a new OS out, .576, you may want to try that one using the method above to see how it works.
    Last edited by gbsn; 06-06-11 at 01:53 AM.
    06-06-11 01:49 AM
    I have this exact problem.. I thought it was just the particular phone so I went back to AT&T and got a new one. for the first 3 days it was fine the battery life was great again lasting the entire day and then by day 4 I noticed the same problem again .. battery life is ridiculously short. I decided to go looking in Application Management and noticed the same thing being described here "Phone" seems to be hogging the CPU.

For Today:

Of a total 10h53min used 10h23min used for phone

For This week:

Of a total 20h52min used 19h39min used for phone

For Last week (I just got the replacement phone Wednesday night):

Of a total 2h26min used 13m32s used for phone

Last week Blackberry 6.0.0 System took the majority of CPU time since this week "Phone" tops the list consistently.

I'm trying to figure out which apps I installed this weekend the only 2 that come to mind are Google Maps and Facebook. I'm uninstalling them to see if I notice any change now.
    06-20-11 06:03 PM
    Re: Bold 9780 going slow - Phone app usage extremely high
    Options
    yesterday

Carrier MTS Allstream Manitoba Canada
    I also have this problem. I seem to have had it for some time before I figured out what was causing the BB busy clock (like old hourglass) to run for up to 3 minutes causing the BB to be locked up for this period.
    The Phone CPU usage was typically about 15 hours per day when it should be about 15 minutes for the day.
    Once I determined that it was the Phone App CPU usage that was causing these lockups, I did a complete wipe of the BB and just restored my contacts and calendar without installing any other apps. The BB ran clean with no excessive Phone CPU usage for a couple of days then went back to the 15 hours per day with lockups.
    I got a warranty replacement of the 9780 from my carrier and I am having the same problem with the new BB.
    My software is 6.0.0.576. Bundle 2554. I was prompted to upgrade to this software when I connected to BBDM after the initial wipe.
    Still looking for the solution. I am surprised the RIM is not aware of the problem and providing a fix. With all their current problems they probably have bigger fish to fry.
    Some other threads:
    Bold 9780 going slow - Phone app usage extremely h... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    Re: "Phone" Application using 100% CPU causing fre... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    12-10-11 03:08 PM
    I had a similar problem with a BlackBerry Curve 9360.

The CPU was thrashing at 100% with "System" using as much CPU as it could. The phone was getting very warm and the battery was running down pretty quickly. I tried the usual stuff - rebooting, battery pull, disabling all network connections, removing various apps - but it made no difference.

Checking the version of the OS the phone was running, I could see that it was using the latest version of 7.0 (not 7.1). Therefore, I decided to reinstall the same version of the OS - I installed everything except for the various language modules I never use - and all appears to be well again. In fact, it seems to be much better than when I first got the phone.
    01-30-12 09:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD