I know the Torch's processor can do 1 Ghz safely,so is it possible to get the OS7's e-screen(engineering screen)which would allow the apps core to be set at up to 1.2 Ghz into an OS6 hybrid?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-11 06:01 AM
    I know the Torch's processor can do 1 Ghz safely,so is it possible to get the OS7's e-screen(engineering screen)which would allow the apps core to be set at up to 1.2 Ghz into an OS6 hybrid?

You need to get a life, these aren't Pentiums.
    09-28-11 03:54 PM
    You need to get a life, these aren't Pentiums.
    No need for name calling... it's not a bad question. There are people out there that like to overclock and use everything that the hardware can deliver.

I've seen overclocking threads on berries in the past, and it's always involved some hardware mod. I haven't played with OS7, so don't know which screen the OP is referring to, but I'm sure a hybrid builder out there somewhere might look at this as a fun challenge. Would be cool to see, but I'm sure it would foobar the battery life.
    09-28-11 04:28 PM
    No need for name calling... it's not a bad question. There are people out there that like to overclock and use everything that the hardware can deliver.

I've seen overclocking threads on berries in the past, and it's always involved some hardware mod. I haven't played with OS7, so don't know which screen the OP is referring to, but I'm sure a hybrid builder out there somewhere might look at this as a fun challenge. Would be cool to see, but I'm sure it would foobar the battery life.
    Not name calling, but these processors in the overall scheme of things are so slow, if you got an email to come in a nanosecond faster.....the programs just aren't processor intensive 99.9% of the time, so it really isn't like overclocking a computer. If you could game on it, or something that the ultimate in speed would support, maybe. But what could possibly be gained???????? There are no 'aftermarket' parts for these things other than cosmetic for the most part, get a 9810 if you want faster.
    09-28-11 05:47 PM
    Everyone always want the newest and fastest thing.. But how are we all suppose to keep up with technology these days just have patience.. I got my 9800 in may and although it is a bit laggy at times I have no complaints and yes the OS7 devices is faster and smoother but not much different for me to jump to a new product already.. Want something different and new experience.. Still waiting to see the first blackberry superphone

09-28-11 08:19 PM
    Yeah,if I didn't know that the pxa940's maximum recommended speed was 1 ghz and RIM have underclocked it to 624 MHz,I would have never even considered overclocking a phone because that's messed up one of my windows mobile phones.What could be gained is an ultra-fast,ultra-responsive 9800 that multitaskes extremely well.Plus,I have a spare battery :P

Last edited by tranquilbarley; 09-29-11 at 12:25 AM.
    09-28-11 10:00 PM
    Oh and just because a program is not processor intensive doesn't mean it won't see an improvement with higher clock speeds.There will be an improvement in responsiveness with higher clock speeds in most cases.

Last edited by tranquilbarley; 09-29-11 at 04:36 AM.
    09-29-11 12:30 AM
    Great way to drain a battery faster. Also a great way to make the Torch run even hotter.
    09-29-11 06:06 PM
    Sounds like a plan!
    09-29-11 07:57 PM
    An improvement in WHAT? We are just sparring here, nothing personal, but give me a concrete example of a program you use that will show a MARKED improvement in performance if you could even figure out a good way to overclock it????? I play videos on mine, they play smoothly, even if streaming, which would be more network related. If you leave a bunch of programs 'open' that might make a difference, but if you find yourself on FB or Twitter 24/7, an iPhone would probably be better, and the iPhone 5 will satisfy that 'need for speed'. You just aren't going to get it out of any current BB.....remember, these machines were, and primarily still are built for the business community, despite RIM's desire to move towards consumer market, but their falling market share shows that isn't working. A survey just showed though that BB's have the highest market penetration amongst the wealthiest users.....and they are using it for the keyboard and bullet proof email and security, not games. Same with IT managagers who have 1000's of these deployed, the easiest to manage. Maybe, just maybe, if the new QNX phones do what is rumored to be promised, you will have your desires fulfilled. But ultimately, programmers need to feel that the platform is worth writing for, and if you look at so many new offerings, they are only for Apple and Android.....I cannot even get the application for 'The New Yorker' magazine on my Torch, unless I use browser, which is painful still. RIM still cannot even get that down after how many years? Surfing on a Torch is painful, I tried a friends iPhone, and if you need to find something on a small screen device, it is truly a pleasure. RIM is just way to confused still to know who they want to be.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com[/QUOTE]

Oh and just because a program is not processor intensive doesn't mean it won't see an improvement with higher clock speeds.There will be an improvement in responsiveness with higher clock speeds in most cases.

10-01-11 09:18 AM
    Ummmm....an improvement in responsiveness?The browser,most games,at times browsing music with album art,and especially zooming in of photos.In fact,the whole OS will see a noticeable difference,wouldn't it?I mean the iPhone(which I hate btw),which has a 1 ghz processor is capable of refreshing such a high-resolution screen 60 times a second,then just imagine what could be possible on the Torch's kinda low-resolution screen(I know that's more graphics depenedent,but CPU also plays a role).Plus,half of the time when viewing a video you try to pause or use the display,it just hangs up for a while,which is kinda weird in a Blackberry.Yeah I agree,BlackBerries aren't meant for gaming.But just because something isn't meant for gaming and thus is slow doesn't mean overclocking won't help.For example,a Celeron won't be good for gaming.When overclocked,it still won't be as good as an i7,but it will still be better.Anyway,I don't really care about gaming,but the overall responsiveness is what I really want.

10-03-11 02:39 AM
    its been discussed for YEARS!!!! please search next time.

yes you can get into the e-screen. no the clock speed cant be changed from within it, theres no option to do so. the OS and the end user dont have access to anything or any way that would be able to change the clock speed. done.
    rfalter likes this.
    10-03-11 05:25 AM
    Ummmm....the clock speed can be changed using the e-screen.And I did search before posting this.None of those posts mention e-screen.

10-03-11 06:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD