So now that there is a torch 2 coming out with a 1.2 ghz verision of the cpu that is in the torch, has anyone tried to overclock a blackberry? I would but have no idea where I would atempt to even start

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-11 07:03 AM
    I don't believe this can be done with a berry. Security in the phone doesn't allow anyone into that section of the OS. I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will correct me, but I don't believe I am
    01-17-11 07:05 AM
    Homer is correct. If it could have been done..believe me..people would have been overclocking the 624Mhz already (there wouldn't be much need to overclock the rumoured 1.2 )
    01-17-11 07:57 AM
    this is beyond my capabilities...but couldn't the OS be edited BEFORE loading it to the phone, thus changing the power profiles before-hand? It wouldn't be "on-the-fly"...and it would be a hard coded preset...but would it be possible?
    01-17-11 09:54 AM
    You can change the clock speed in the Escreen..............for 1 second. I don't think it can be done.

01-17-11 11:02 AM
    this is beyond my capabilities...but couldn't the OS be edited BEFORE loading it to the phone, thus changing the power profiles before-hand? It wouldn't be "on-the-fly"...and it would be a hard coded preset...but would it be possible?
    This wouldn't work because it is not controlled by the OS. It is controlled by the core files in the phone which you don't have access to.
    01-17-11 12:22 PM
    LOL and nobody would be able to get 1.2Ghz from a 624MHz processor to start with ESPECIALLY without cooling it properly. When I did this on the original Samsung Blackjack it was done by a tool. I set it at a modest 10% and left it alone for a few days. The change was noticable. I then set the tool to do 10% at startup and never looked back. I am sure we could easily get 10-15% more from these chips IF the tool was written to do so but first there has to be a need for that tool or some "hacker" with the time willing to say what the heck.
    01-17-11 03:41 PM
    LOL and nobody would be able to get 1.2Ghz from a 624MHz processor to start with ESPECIALLY without cooling it properly. When I did this on the original Samsung Blackjack it was done by a tool. I set it at a modest 10% and left it alone for a few days. The change was noticable. I then set the tool to do 10% at startup and never looked back. I am sure we could easily get 10-15% more from these chips IF the tool was written to do so but first there has to be a need for that tool or some "hacker" with the time willing to say what the heck.
    On the Desire Z/G2 they've been pushing speeds of 1.6ghz on a 800Mhz processor

I would love to see an overclock just for that extra bit of zippyness but it ain't happening!
    01-17-11 06:13 PM
    Too bad. I was doing a little reading up on the processor a while back and had found this that suggested you could safely clock it to 1ghz.

Marvell PXA940 - CPUlist | PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of Smartphone, PDA, PDA Phone, PNA, netbook & Mobile Device Specifications
    01-17-11 08:07 PM
    I don't think that Java can give us the low-level system access needed to play with registers and change clock speeds...

It seems like the majority of the OS is written in Java, and I don't know how we would get access outside of that.
    01-17-11 08:18 PM
    On the Desire Z/G2 they've been pushing speeds of 1.6ghz on a 800Mhz processor

I would love to see an overclock just for that extra bit of zippyness but it ain't happening!
    Ya.. I'm currently running slightly above 1.5Ghz clock speed although for the most part I keep it around 1.1. You can actually get one kernel capable of 1.8Ghz

Last edited by Rickroller; 01-17-11 at 09:05 PM.
    01-17-11 08:57 PM
    Well I've discovered you can set the  apps core to run @ is maximum all the time. So my bold runs @ 624 instead of fluctuating between 156-416Mhz and the performance has improved but nothing to really freak out over.

01-28-11 12:38 AM
    Bajan, how did you set that?
    04-15-11 09:56 AM
    Well I've discovered you can set the  apps core to run @ is maximum all the time. So my bold runs @ 624 instead of fluctuating between 156-416Mhz and the performance has improved but nothing to really freak out over.

very doubt this.

on the other hand, say good bye to the battery life overclocking the processor to 1.2!
    04-15-11 01:48 PM
    very doubt this.

on the other hand, say good bye to the battery life overclocking the processor to 1.2!
    He said 624MHz
    04-15-11 05:42 PM
    Blackberry OS doesn't get to that layer in the firmware. you would need a utility that could flash the hardware directly to be able to overclock it. It can be done, as all devices could be overclocked, but you would basically be at the hardware layer to do it and BB doesn't provide such tools to be able to do so. If you are adventurous and know your way around the core internals, you would be the Lewis and Clark of BB.
    04-15-11 10:09 PM
    in the engineering menu
    04-15-11 10:42 PM
    The engineering screen allows turning on/off the DVFM, which is like intel's speedstep. You can set it to run constantly at 156mhz, 208mhz, 416mhz, or 624mhz. You can also underclock the radio and dsp core.

Its just underclocking and nothing more, there is no overclocking anywhere, but if you are really paranoid about battery life, you can set apps core to less than 624mhz when idle or light tasks.

On OS6, the apps core is almost always running at 624mhz, because the OS is actually pushing it at that. On OS5, it usually wanders between 208 and 624mhz.

This applies to devices with the 624mhz processor.

Underclocking the new devices will probably be possible, but we will have to see the changes in the core engineering screen with the new processors first.
    Last edited by gbsn; 04-15-11 at 11:31 PM.
    04-15-11 11:15 PM
    If you get in the escreen on the phone you can change the dfu settings

04-16-11 04:11 PM
    How do u get to the escreen on a torch?

04-20-11 12:41 AM
    you can go to the e-screens all you want and change those settings they are not going to save... unless you have the device that has a proper vendor code... and that vendor code is an engineering vendor code that only RIM uses.... so in short, even if you change the setting in the e-screens it will not save and you will just back to the same place as you were before
    04-20-11 08:28 AM
    If these settings never take effect and don't save, I wouldn't expect there to be reports of people turning their blackberrys into paperweights by changing settings in the e-screen.

Just me though... You know, using logic or whatever.

04-20-11 12:54 PM
    you can go to the e-screens all you want and change those settings they are not going to save... unless you have the device that has a proper vendor code... and that vendor code is an engineering vendor code that only RIM uses.... so in short, even if you change the setting in the e-screens it will not save and you will just back to the same place as you were before
    Huh?. Core frequencies get reset when you reset the device, but as long as you keep it on, then they stay. Settings like mass storage toggle (real toggle) stays even after resets, same goes for uma configs.

04-20-11 01:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD