I have downloaded the official release of OS 6 .284 it is on my desk top. Installed it connected to desk top manager 6 and it states that I currenlty have the latest version of OS and I have not installed this upgrade. I read the posts and I have done this process with other blackberry devices. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium and when I go to program files 86 there is not anything in RIM other than desk top manager. Is there anyone that may know what the issue is? I have also removed all other OS downloads from my computer. Thank you
    Last edited by James67; 10-25-10 at 04:02 AM.
    10-25-10 03:57 AM
    Search for then remove the vendor.xml file, then run apploader.

My computer

C:

Program files

Common files

Research in Motion

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-10 06:05 AM
    Delete the vendor.xml file. Your not looking for it in the right location.

Local disk C: > Program files(X86 if on a 64 bit system) > Common Files > Research In Motion > App Loader > Vendor.xml

Then instead of using DM to load the OS, just use the loader.exe in that same folder.
    10-25-10 06:07 AM
    Here you go:

Uninstall any OLD BlackBerry OS versions from your computer if you have them. You can find your installed programs in Windows by going to control panel/programs and features. You're looking for "BlackBerry Device Software".

Install .284 to your computer. This means you double click on the OS.exe file that you downloaded and let Windows install it.

Plug in your phone and use Desktop Manager 6.0 (DM) to make a backup of your device.

Close DM and go to:

C:\program files(86)\common files\research in motion\apploader\

From there delete vendor.xml, if it's there, then run loader.exe

Follow the instructions - make sure you look closely at the list of items that have or do not have check marks next to them so you install what you want and don't install what you don't want.

When the popup asks if it should make a backup of your device and restore your 3rd party apps, it should be selected to do it. Do not change it.

Wait about 15-20 minutes for the process to complete and your phone to reboot completely before disconnecting.

Enjoy and let us know how it went. Always remember it takes several battery pulls while you're getting your phone running again before the OS becomes stable. If it seems slow at first just give it some time to do it's thing and when it seems to have caught up, do another battery pull.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have any trouble!
    10-25-10 06:42 AM
    Jeffreii,

You actually do not need to remove other OS loads as long as what you are trying to install is of a later release... For a rollback yes since it (loader.exe) can only pick up the latest installed package for that device...

10-25-10 07:36 AM
    I have read people having issues in the past - in isolated instances - and needing to remove other versions. I've seen Crucial_Xtreme offer the same as a suggestion to fix an install problem.

I know in almost all cases it is not necessary. However, my guide is meant to be foolproof. If you follow all the steps you should eliminate almost every problem you might encounter...which is very beneficial for less advanced users.

I've thought about removing it but since it takes only seconds to accomplish, I figure I may as well leave it just in case.
    10-25-10 07:45 AM
    Good job. They will figure it out in time probably about the time they stop reading guides. LOL.

10-25-10 08:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD