I just want to start off by saying I love my new Torch. But after using it for 2 weeks and experiencing some of the OS bugs that everyone has been talking about (disappearing favorites, downloads not clearing, ect...), I have been wondering how does RIM determine an OS is ready for launch on a device? Do they have a test team using these devices prior to launch and looking for bugs, or is a computer simulation kind of thing? And how do they miss some of the really obvious bugs us Torch users are seeing? I'm not trying to bash RIM or anything, but I'm just curious.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by ecooper11; 08-27-10 at 11:05 PM.
    08-27-10 10:48 PM
    Excellent question. The answer lies somewhere in why all electronics manufacturers are pumping out products with defects that need firmware/software updates over and over to fix. The sad part to me is that they never really get fixed until new units are out and the one I'm wanting solid programming for is an outdated POS.
    08-27-10 10:59 PM
    Part of the problem is that some of these issues only arise when you add 3rd party apps to your device, so those issues aren't necessarily discovered in regular testing (either by RIM or the carriers). In other cases, it's simply a case of the problem only showing up on a relatively small number of devices meaning that no one in testing might have observed that problem. Other reasons are just that someone may have experience a glitch during testing, but they were unable to replicate the problem later, or RIM was unable to replicate it on other devices, therefore there is no way to confirm exactly what the cause of the problem was.

Bug testing isn't always as easy as we'd like. Different usage patterns can lead to different responses by the OS and some bugs simply don't show up until they end up in the hands of the masses. And while I have no way to confirm or deny this, it's possible that there is a slight tolerance for some bugs just in the interest of releasing the software/device.
    08-27-10 11:10 PM
    QUOTE=Krypto;5521743]Part of the problem is that some of these issues only arise when you add 3rd party apps to your device, so those issues aren't necessarily discovered in regular testing (either by RIM or the carriers). In other cases, it's simply a case of the problem only showing up on a relatively small number of devices meaning that no one in testing might have observed that problem. Other reasons are just that someone may have experience a glitch during testing, but they were unable to replicate the problem later, or RIM was unable to replicate it on other devices, therefore there is no way to confirm exactly what the cause of the problem was.

Bug testing isn't always as easy as we'd like. Different usage patterns can lead to different responses by the OS and some bugs simply don't show up until they end up in the hands of the masses. And while I have no way to confirm or deny this, it's possible that there is a slight tolerance for some bugs just in the interest of releasing the software/device.[/QUOTE]

Oh I see. Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-10 11:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD