I'm loving the Universal Search function for most things, but:

Is there any way to search for a Contact by phone number (or other fields) instead of just the default Contact Name or Company Name?

I miss the OS 5 Search function where I could select Contacts and enter part of a contact's phone number to find them in my address book. It was great for figuring out where missed calls came from.
    Last edited by ErnieH; 10-28-10 at 11:38 AM.
    10-28-10 11:34 AM
    I tried by number and it doesn't appear to work but it does by name or business.
    10-28-10 03:36 PM
    yes, this is one of my MAIN problem now too...as sometime when people SMS or call u and u don't know who is that from another phone and trying to check by their number, but now this BB 6 seem cannot work that way like OS 5...i hope they going to fix it soon or never??
    11-16-10 07:53 PM
    i do know you can still use the legacy search if you really miss that feature. Just do a universal search for "legacy search" to find out where its located on your device...it was just a hidden icon on mine.
    11-17-10 12:06 AM
    This actually sucks big time because if you have some notes of what a certain company does and you don't remember the company name you simply can't find it with this crappy universal search. ie: Say you had your blinds repaired by a company a few years ago & you put in the notes field "Blind repairs" and 2 years later you need to have your blinds repaired and you search for "blind" ...Well guess what...you won't find it with this new universal search!
    11-17-10 11:40 PM
    This actually sucks big time because if you have some notes of what a certain company does and you don't remember the company name you simply can't find it with this crappy universal search. ie: Say you had your blinds repaired by a company a few years ago & you put in the notes field "Blind repairs" and 2 years later you need to have your blinds repaired and you search for "blind" ...Well guess what...you won't find it with this new universal search!
    i find out to the universal search is not working properly hehe put something in you calendar and then try to search it you will not find what you looking for

Lets w8 a little till the OS get's more updates and if we find a bug and is not working report to BB website
    11-17-10 11:46 PM
    Not trying to be **** here..but how unorganized is your Contacts that you can't distinguish between different companies? Could you imagine how much these phones would bog down if you typed a word such as "cat" and expected it to search every text, every email, every post it or note, every picture caption or music title etc that you have on the phone. It would slow to a crawl and probably freeze up. I guess there are some things we're meant to do ourselves..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-10 11:58 PM
    Not trying to be **** here..but how unorganized is your Contacts that you can't distinguish between different companies? Could you imagine how much these phones would bog down if you typed a word such as "cat" and expected it to search every text, every email, every post it or note, every picture caption or music title etc that you have on the phone. It would slow to a crawl and probably freeze up. I guess there are some things we're meant to do ourselves..

Incorrect, my 6 year old Palm Treo can do exactly that and is still faster than my Torch LOL
    I actually am now finding it's a joke that people think this so called "Universal Search" is so good and that it is something new when Palm had it many many years ago and it actually worked well! It's too bad they fell behind and finally died.
    Last edited by buwee; 11-18-10 at 01:26 AM.
    11-18-10 01:23 AM
    I really miss this feature from the Search tool in OS 5.0
    I've found no way of searching a contact by phone number.

There are times when someone would give me a message that someone has called. There are times when they may have forgotten the name or wrote the name down incorrectly, but have the phone number.
    With OS 6, I have no way of trying to search for that phone number.

I see they posted an app called Xobni. It says it has Lightning fast search by name, phone or email. Guess I'll give it a shot.
    01-12-11 10:36 PM
    Incorrect, my 6 year old Palm Treo can do exactly that and is still faster than my Torch LOL
    I actually am now finding it's a joke that people think this so called "Universal Search" is so good and that it is something new when Palm had it many many years ago and it actually worked well! It's too bad they fell behind and finally died.

I'm an ex-Palm User (m515, TX, Centro) as well, those were fascinating devices (at their age of course). :-)
    01-13-11 06:58 AM
    I really miss this feature from the Search tool in OS 5.0
    I've found no way of searching a contact by phone number.

There are times when someone would give me a message that someone has called. There are times when they may have forgotten the name or wrote the name down incorrectly, but have the phone number.
    With OS 6, I have no way of trying to search for that phone number.

I see they posted an app called Xobni. It says it has Lightning fast search by name, phone or email. Guess I'll give it a shot.
    You folks are better than me, I can't even remember actual numbers! So the search on the number issue is a non-issue for me :-D

01-13-11 11:35 AM
    Maybe I didn't pay enough attention but when I first got my Torch. I thought it would search and list when i enter part of the number... (for example you enter 212 and it displays all the contacts that start with 212 (from NY)...)

Now it doesn't.. did I change something (or it has an indexing error? cauz i deleted and copied from Outlook recently) or was I just dreaming before?

Thanks...
    02-07-11 09:29 PM
    Yep, you were dreaming I think.

It just seems like such a basic function: to be able to search by phone number. I'd be satisfied even if it wasn't part of universal search but I could search from the address book itself. Surely it's not an oversight by RIM. There must be a technical reason of some sort.
    02-08-11 07:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD