I am amazed at the number of people who are trashing this phone when they have not even used it. Unless you were at the launch today, what do you really know about it? I can quote specs as well as the next guy, so what. The phone well may be junk, but until it is out in the public's hand how will we know.
    08-03-10 06:41 PM
    that is true, but a large majority of those of the media who DID have their hands on the device today are saying very similar things to our assumptions.
    08-03-10 06:48 PM
    Do you remember that tv show (cartoon) "The Critic"? For some reason all the media reviews are reminding me of that guy. "It stinks". Isn't that what a critic is supposed to say. It sort of covers them. If they are correct they are covered and can say "I told you so". If they are wrong, they can make a modest correction later......hidden on page 27.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-10 06:58 PM
    Do you remember that tv show (cartoon) "The Critic"? For some reason all the media reviews are reminding me of that guy. "It stinks". Isn't that what a critic is supposed to say. It sort of covers them. If they are correct they are covered and can say "I told you so". If they are wrong, they can make a modest correction later......hidden on page 27.

seriously? you're going to say that anyone who writes opinions as their career that has something bad to say about something is only doing it because they can get away with it and they're not accountable for their opinions? this isn't fox news.
    08-03-10 07:01 PM
    I am amazed at the number of people who are trashing this phone when they have not even used it. Unless you were at the launch today, what do you really know about it? I can quote specs as well as the next guy, so what. The phone well may be junk, but until it is out in the public's hand how will we know.
    With that in mind, are you equally amazed at the number of people who blindly defend this phone when they haven't used it?
    08-03-10 07:03 PM
    With that in mind, are you equally amazed at the number of people who blindly defend this phone when they haven't used it?
    Yes. I am. I find it pretty silly to say it sucks or it's great right now. To each his own. I am looking forward to picking up this phone and playing with it, then I will render my opinion.

And yes, a critic's job is to be critical. To point out anything and everything. All I have read is a comparison to other phones. That's great and all, but what does that have to do with what this phone will do? The Iphone has this, or the Android does this. Ok. So? What exactly does that have to do with this phone. These guys got about 15 to 20 minutes to check out a demo model. Yes, I am sure that plenty of time to determine the quality of the phone.
    08-03-10 07:08 PM
    Yes. I am. I find it pretty silly to say it sucks or it's great right now. To each his own. I am looking forward to picking up this phone and playing with it, then I will render my opinion.

And yes, a critic's job is to be critical. To point out anything and everything. All I have read is a comparison to other phones. That's great and all, but what does that have to do with what this phone will do? The Iphone has this, or the Android does this. Ok. So? What exactly does that have to do with this phone. These guys got about 15 to 20 minutes to check out a demo model. Yes, I am sure that plenty of time to determine the quality of the phone.
    Absolutely...nothing about the reviews I've read today tell me that the phone Sucks....

Some of them tell me the reviewer prefers another phone because of it's blah blah blah....but nothing says this is the worst darn phone ever created....

I can't understand why the intense hatred threads popped up...

It seems to be a solid phone that improves on its predecessors in many ways and in some ways stays the same...something that current BB users seem to want...

Nothing RIM has said has led me to beleive it will kill iPhone, knock out Droid, or any other phone for that matter.

This to me was an answer to the long-suffering pleas to upgrade the system that current BB users had....

I only see future phones becoming even better! This is just the beginning of the new era... Why so much hatred? My gosh....
    08-03-10 07:16 PM
    Lol, people make me laugh, they really expect manufacturers to knock their socks off with new handsets. This phone will sell in millions over the next 1-2 years, Rim still sells new 8300s in some countries. Rim was never about the latest and the greatest.

It's gonna be the best blackberry by far.

08-03-10 07:16 PM
    Well i mean..
    we have seen some bad performance today as seen by the lag in changing screens.

What do we know of the holocaust? are we to think Hitler made all the Jewish race Happy? We have not been there but have seen footage.
    08-03-10 07:25 PM
    explain to me why comparing two products that serve the same purpose is illogical.

RIM is trying to compete this phone with those phones. consumers are choosing between them, for the same purposes. while you may love it because you are a loyal blackberry user, the average apathetic consumer will see a better product and choose that instead.
    08-03-10 07:33 PM
    explain to me why comparing two products that serve the same purpose is illogical.

RIM is trying to compete this phone with those phones. consumers are choosing between them, for the same purposes. while you may love it because you are a loyal blackberry user, the average apathetic consumer will see a better product and choose that instead.
    Leaving aside the fact that "compete" is not a transitive verb, RIM is primarily improving upon what it offers -- and many, many people already think very highly of what it does offer. Comparing those "other phones" to this phone is like comparing a Lexus IS350 or an Infiniti G37 to a BMW 335. The Japanese cars have tons more bells, whistles, and other gee-gaws, and may even be faster, but the BMW handles better and feels more solidly built. Nobody faults BMW for not matching the Japanese feature for feature.

08-03-10 08:10 PM
    Very well said JasW. I am always amazed at the folks who prefer a different product yet live on this site to attack the BB user's choice. Can you imagine being that person? It is intense how emptiness and insecurity can drive an existence.
    08-03-10 08:15 PM
    Leaving aside the fact that "compete" is not a transitive verb, RIM is primarily improving upon what it offers -- and many, many people already think very highly of what it does offer. Comparing those "other phones" to this phone is like comparing a Lexus IS350 or an Infiniti G37 to a BMW 335. The Japanese cars have tons more bells, whistles, and other gee-gaws, and may even be faster, but the BMW handles better and feels more solidly built. Nobody faults BMW for not matching the Japanese feature for feature.

Leaving aside the fact that I'm not making grammar my podium, one shouldn't forget that while many people appreciate improvements, many people appreciate innovation as well. There is no innovation here and that is what has the media in an uproar. RIM's business model has floated them well as they have a superior feature (server-managed content push), but for the average consumer this is unimportant. RIM is trying to push into the average consumer market, and they are not going to win any battles with incremental improvements.

Consumers are fickle, constantly want new things, and unfortunately for RIM, their customers are not as brand-loyal as Apple fanatics. Corporate purchases are not going to keep them afloat; my company issues Blackberries for employees because we are not allowed to access company servers and communication data (email) from non-secure equipment. However, when one does get issued a BB, it's usually an 88xx (or even 7xxx) model that has changed hands many times. There is no need to upgrade their models because the 88xx series still performs its corporate-appealing functions exactly the same. Upgrading devices requires new screenings for IT, training for device use, and costs in device upkeep. This is for one of the largest defense contractors in the US. My point is, RIM still largely depends on corporate support, and that is not a good long-term plan. So in the end, everything comes back to the consumer, and again when placed with the choice between two products at the same price, they will more often than not choose the better, more innovative and cutting-edge product, which this 9800 is not.

Very well said JasW. I am always amazed at the folks who prefer a different product yet live on this site to attack the BB user's choice. Can you imagine being that person? It is intense how emptiness and insecurity can drive an existence.
    I absolutely love my 9700, and my 8310 before that. But it is getting boring as a whole, and OS6 is not changing that very much. I am not changing phones for another year, but with all the recent press on upcoming devices (as well as the slap-in-the-face that is the 9780), I am hard pressed to believe I will be such an avid supporter next year.

We can sit here and argue all day, but the reality is that the 9800 is not being very well received outside of this community, and you can't blame every bad impression on the reviewer being an Apple or Android fanboy. One of the articles about the 9800 on MSNBC was quite good.
    Last edited by dLo GSR; 08-03-10 at 08:27 PM.
    08-03-10 08:22 PM

In the smartphone game, this hardly qualifies as a BMW. More like a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord. Nice cars yes, but not considered "luxury".
    08-03-10 08:28 PM
    You wouldn't know a BMW if it parked on you 11. You are most likely the crotch rocket type. I heard your phone is huge.
    08-03-10 08:33 PM
    You wouldn't know a BMW if it parked on you 11. You are most likely the crotch rocket type. I heard your phone is huge.
    What a completely useless and unimaginative reply.
    08-03-10 09:04 PM
    Well i mean..
    we have seen some bad performance today as seen by the lag in changing screens.

What do we know of the holocaust? are we to think Hitler made all the Jewish race Happy? We have not been there but have seen footage.
    Yes but did you notice how many apps were open? And how much that Sonic game or app was using? Iphone wouldn't even dream to be able to do that, android, I don't know, how many apps can you open on an android?

08-04-10 01:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD