Hi,

I can’t comment on .534 but every time I’ve updated an OS on a BB I get a “warm up” problem and the battery is run down very quickly.
    It’s easily cured by a couple of battery pulls after the upgrade; you may have encountered the same.
    04-27-11 07:30 AM
    Hello all. I currently am running this OP -
    6.0 Bundle 1908 (v6.0.0.0.450, Platform 6.4.0.211)

I have had very little to any issues and the phone is operating very well.

Can someone please tell me WHY I should upgrade to this new version and EXACTLY what changes I can expect or should see?

Thank you all for everything.
    Everyone can only share their own experience. all great advice and intentions aside, one size doesn't fit all.

Thus, one person says .256 is the best, and the next says it's .534. No matter what anyone says, it may not be the same case for you.

The best advice, IMO, is to try it. You can always go back if you don't like it.

In contrary opinion to some listed here, I think the official .526 was the absolute worst os for my phone. I had the thinking symbol all the time. Again, IMO, .534 is one of the best (wap forums aside) than any I've tried thus far.

Giver 'er a go. Decide for yourself. Keep your current OS download handy (perhaps on a CD or thumb drive)...
    04-27-11 12:47 PM
    I updated yesterday everything appeared to be fine. Went to bed with a battery at 80%, phone was off, battery is totally drained this morning. Won't even boot....

THE ONLY THING I'VE changed is the OS upgrade...

anyone else??
    Same problem still a week and a half after upgrading to the leaked version.
    04-27-11 02:32 PM
    love the new update, works amazingly. It literally feels smoother and lighter. Before with the .234 it literally felt like i could feel the phone working to stay fast. But now the thing is sooo fast. Makes me love my torch all over again.
    04-27-11 08:51 PM
    I updated yesterday everything appeared to be fine. Went to bed with a battery at 80%, phone was off, battery is totally drained this morning. Won't even boot....

THE ONLY THING I'VE changed is the OS upgrade...

anyone else??
    May also be a problem with the battery meter....I checked battery this afternoon and it read 30%. I was using the media player for music and no other apps were running (just the standard). 5 minutes later I got my "low battery warning" and the battery was down to 8%.

I am having some issues the battery draining extremely quickly on .534, but it sounds like only a few others are having the same issue. My question is....has anyone found what causes the quick drain and is there a solution?
    04-28-11 04:41 PM
    May also be a problem with the battery meter....I checked battery this afternoon and it read 30%. I was using the media player for music and no other apps were running (just the standard). 5 minutes later I got my "low battery warning" and the battery was down to 8%.

I am having some issues the battery draining extremely quickly on .534, but it sounds like only a few others are having the same issue. My question is....has anyone found what causes the quick drain and is there a solution?
    Right after I upgraded to .534, I noticed a battery issue. Did some searching on various BB forums and read more than once that two to three battery pulls would "fix" the problem. I guess with any OS upgrade, they all need a few battery pulls to get it all dialed in. I performed three battery pulls with the device on of course, and now all is well. I have noticed the best battery life with this OS (.534).
    I hope this helps you as well.
    04-28-11 04:57 PM
    I'm not sure where to post a question (as I'm new here) So this was my only option.
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me how I go about figuring out if my Torch is syncing to the internet...... whether it b email or games.
    I have gotten some data charges that say......Blackberry.net?
    And read somewhere that it is syncing to the internet and it always happens in the early AM hours?
    Anyone have any suggestions?
    04-28-11 05:08 PM
    Right after I upgraded to .534, I noticed a battery issue. Did some searching on various BB forums and read more than once that two to three battery pulls would "fix" the problem. I guess with any OS upgrade, they all need a few battery pulls to get it all dialed in. I performed three battery pulls with the device on of course, and now all is well. I have noticed the best battery life with this OS (.534).
    I hope this helps you as well.

Yes I've done multiple battery pulls but the problem persists. I'll try giving it a full charge and then doing a battery pull and leaving it overnight. If battery drains only 5% over night, I'll have to figure out if an app might be causing the drain.
    04-29-11 06:48 AM
    .448 is an official RIM OS update. You can get it here.

Follow these instructions and you will have the official .448 RIM OS upgrade.
    There is no such thing as an "official RIM OS update." RIM releases OS upgrades to the carriers, which decide whether or not to offer them as OS upgrades to their customers. If a carrier adopts a particular OS version, then they are referred to in CB shorthand as "official" OSes. This is only because they have been adopted by the carrier, however, not because of anything RIM has done.

That said, AT&T and Bell are morons for adopting .526 and .534. The browser problems on these builds are inexcusable. Note I say problems because it's not just a matter of having to double-tap to zoom on the previously readable CB WAP site, there is also the problem of a number of forums and other pages unpredictably being displayed as mostly empty pages filled with "_______"s where links would otherwise be.

In any event, all of this points up that those of you who will only load these "official (carrier)" OSes have no guarantee that these are better or more stable OSes than a particular OS that's only been leaked. I'm going back to .448 when I get a chance.
    04-29-11 10:10 AM
    There is no such thing as an "official RIM OS update." RIM releases OS upgrades to the carriers, which decide whether or not to offer them as OS upgrades to their customers. If a carrier adopts a particular OS version, then they are referred to in CB shorthand as "official" OSes. This is only because they have been adopted by the carrier, however, not because of anything RIM has done.

That said, AT&T and Bell are morons for adopting .526 and .534. The browser problems on these builds are inexcusable. Note I say problems because it's not just a matter of having to double-tap to zoom on the previously readable CB WAP site, there is also the problem of a number of forums and other pages unpredictably being displayed as mostly empty pages filled with "_______"s where links would otherwise be.

In any event, all of this points up that those of you who will only load these "official (carrier)" OSes have no guarantee that these are better or more stable OSes than a particular OS that's only been leaked. I'm going back to .448 when I get a chance.
    So then what you are saying is that RIM doesn't officially release their OSes to the carriers and that I should start referring to them as official carrier releases instead. I'm having a tough time understand how the phone manufacturer releases an OS and it not be official. Just because a carrier has to make the decision as to adopting the release shouldn't matter. If it was released from RIM then why wouldn't it be and official release?

As far as a "carrier release" compared to a "leaked" release, I have read several posts here and other BB forums that a "leaked" OS is the same as a "carrier" release. You are in disagreement with these other members? Works for me, then what is the difference between a leaked OS and a "carrier" release?

Thanks for the information and I do appreciate your knowledge and experience. You have been a member for 3+ years and have submitted several thousand posts and I believe you have a greater knowledge when it comes to RIM and BB.
    04-29-11 03:01 PM
    So then what you are saying is that RIM doesn't officially release their OSes to the carriers and that I should start referring to them as official carrier releases instead. I'm having a tough time understand how the phone manufacturer releases an OS and it not be official. Just because a carrier has to make the decision as to adopting the release shouldn't matter. If it was released from RIM then why wouldn't it be and official release?

As far as a "carrier release" compared to a "leaked" release, I have read several posts here and other BB forums that a "leaked" OS is the same as a "carrier" release. You are in disagreement with these other members? Works for me, then what is the difference between a leaked OS and a "carrier" release?

Thanks for the information and I do appreciate your knowledge and experience. You have been a member for 3+ years and have submitted several thousand posts and I believe you have a greater knowledge when it comes to RIM and BB.
    Which Offical Carrier OS is on my Playbook? I brought at a retailer and use WiFi.

RIM releases an Offical OS to the Carriers and the Carrier's test it and release to Public. ATT and Rogers were given 526 and Bell/Virgin (same network) were given 534. They approved it and released it to their customers.
    riggzo likes this.
    04-29-11 04:58 PM
    I just dont like the booting time bcos its just frustrating
    04-30-11 01:50 PM

Calling an OS "official" is simply CrackBerry parlance for an OS that has been adopted by a carrier. It supposedly implies that an OS is okay to load on your device because of the carrier's imprimatur. (Although the fact that AT&T and Bell Mobility have adopted these total garbage .5xx build should tell you that is not always the case.)

RIM simply develops the OS and gives it to carriers for testing. During that period, the OS will frequently be "leaked" by somebody at a carrier with access to it, and will show up here on CrackBerry as a "leaked" OS. That same OS may subsequently be adopted by a carrier, at which point CrackBerry refers to it as an "official" OS. But there is no difference between the "leaked" version and the "official" version (except that you are able to download the "official" version from a carrier's BB page, as opposed to downloading the leaked one only from, e.g., Hotfile or other file sharing sites).

BTW, I have downgraded to .486, and what a difference it makes. I can actually use my browser again without worrying about blanks or garbage showing up on a page.

No one should put .524 or .536 on their device. Use .486 or, if you insist on an "official" OS, .448.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by JasW; 04-30-11 at 09:14 PM.
    thecoach1999 likes this.
    04-30-11 09:10 PM
    Calling an OS "official" is simply CrackBerry parlance for an OS that has been adopted by a carrier. It supposedly implies that an OS is okay to load on your device because of the carrier's imprimatur. (Although the fact that AT&T and Bell Mobility have adopted these total garbage .5xx build should tell you that is not always the case.)

RIM simply develops the OS and gives it to carriers for testing. During that period, the OS will frequently be "leaked" by somebody at a carrier with access to it, and will show up here on CrackBerry as a "leaked" OS. That same OS may subsequently be adopted by a carrier, at which point CrackBerry refers to it as an "official" OS. But there is no difference between the "leaked" version and the "official" version (except that you are able to download the "official" version from a carrier's BB page, as opposed to downloading the leaked one only from, e.g., Hotfile or other file sharing sites).

BTW, I have downgraded to .486, and what a difference it makes. I can actually use my browser again without worrying about blanks or garbage showing up on a page.

No one should put .524 or .536 on their device. Use .486 or, if you insist on an "official" OS, .448.

OK, thanks for the explanation. I get it now.
    05-01-11 04:12 AM
    Have to say I installed 534 from bell yesterday, and so far it is running fine.
    I don't see any obvious issues. even the battery life is good.Was on 448 and that was fine, just thought it would see what all the fuss is about with the 534 release
    05-01-11 08:15 AM
    ...No one should put .524 or .536 on their device. Use .486 or, if you insist on an "official" OS, .448.
    No offence intended...not everyone shares your experience.
    For me it's a trade off. With .448 I couldn't hear any audio when I played MP4 videos. For me it was not acceptable.
    With .526 and .534 Everything works and I can live with double tapping the screen in the browser. I had to do that (before) anyway.
    I have .526 loaded on 5 others at the office and haven't had any complaints. They all had .246 before I updated them.
    Last edited by pmccartney; 05-01-11 at 09:57 AM.
    05-01-11 09:53 AM
    anybody know when Rogers will release it for Torch?
    05-02-11 01:56 AM
    Upgraded from .448 so far the difference I've noticed is that it loads much faster when opening a long sms thread.
    05-02-11 02:13 AM
    How's battery life on this build?

Mine sucks big-time, can't even go through the day

What's wrong with RIM???
    05-02-11 11:50 AM
    Same problem....extremely rapid battery drain at times
    05-02-11 11:54 AM
    No offence intended...not everyone shares your experience.
    For me it's a trade off. With .448 I couldn't hear any audio when I played MP4 videos. For me it was not acceptable.
    With .526 and .534 Everything works and I can live with double tapping the screen in the browser. I had to do that (before) anyway.
    I have .526 loaded on 5 others at the office and haven't had any complaints. They all had .246 before I updated them.
    I wish it were just a matter of double-tapping in the browser. As I mentioned, and I believed others have as well, random lines of text disappear, forum pages like CB and others sometimes show up with linked lines ("_________") where thread titles would be, etc. It doesn't always happen and can be fixed by a reboot, yet it eventually comes back at some point. It's unpredictable and it essentially renders the browser useless. You're telling me you've not experienced this, just the CB-only double-tap business?
    05-02-11 12:51 PM
    BB traffic and/or LiveProfile where huge batt drains for this OS. Once I removed them, batt has been very stable. Merrybettery reports 2.9 to 3.6 per hour
    05-02-11 05:12 PM
    Best battery life I've had on any OS, the only was this could be improved for me is cb forums working better, but all I have to do it zoom there so I'm all set! But I suppose my needs differ from others...
    I just upgraded at its the first thing I noticed. I liked it before where I didn't have to zoom in on the forums to read it. Is there any way to change it so we don't have to zoom?

05-02-11 10:30 PM
    Is anyone else having issues with this upgrade? Since I upgraded, i've been getting the black hourglass for up to 1-5 minutes, and 2 -3 times per hour. I've done a clean reinstall twice and i'm currently in the process of downgrading to the previous version
    05-04-11 11:31 AM
    Is anyone else having issues with this upgrade? Since I upgraded, i've been getting the black hourglass for up to 1-5 minutes, and 2 -3 times per hour. I've done a clean reinstall twice and i'm currently in the process of downgrading to the previous version
    Turn Compression off

Options
    Device
    storage
    uncheck compression
    slalom likes this.
    05-07-11 09:20 AM
90 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD