Well if your family has Blackberry phones as well then BBM is a great way to stay in touch..especially with the option to send pics, videos, voice files etc. I work out of town a lot and all my family (excluding my wife) have Blackberry's..and it really helps to stay connected.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-12-10 02:20 PM
    Ok been looking over all the things peaple have been saying about the tourch and I'm kinda worried about getting it I use a curve 8310 and have never had anything bad happen too it other than the trackball sticking but that's a simple fix so please help me with my dission on this because I need a dependable phone because of my work. Thank you

11-12-10 04:34 PM
    Many of the complaints are IMO from people that are too picky.
    Not all of them, but many of them.

Saying that. I really like having the Torch, but after using the 9700 with BB6 on it. I was really impressed. So the 9780 would be a great device.

From a complete reliability standpoint. Something without moving parts like the 9780 would be most likely better. Not to mention it is the updated 9700 so should be as reliable or more so, one would think, as the original 9700.

The Torch seems to stand up pretty well though. My friend dropped hers getting out of her vehicle and it landed perfectly on the front. Scratched up the bezel, but none the worse function wise. And she has since dropped it again and it landed on the top. Still going strong. (I have not dropped mine so am using her example.)

So with that all said, decide if you like the Torch form factor more then the regular. And if you do, if the slightly less reliability is worth the bigger screen/ touch screen.

Coming From an 8310 you will really like either device.

I went from 8310 -> 9700 -> 9800
    11-12-10 04:48 PM
    Went from a Bold 9000 to the Torch. Very solid, very reliable. Play with one in the store if you can and be sure you like the keyboard ... it does take some getting used to coming from the Curve. Only other thing I'd recommend is, if you do decide to buy one, check it out in the store before they start configuring it for you and make sure there's no wobble in the slider either open or closed. That seems to be the most common complaint. Mine had a slight wobble closed, but I fixed that with a thin strip of foam insulation (with many thanks to another wise member here) ... no more wobble. Other than that, the phone has been absolutely perfect.
    11-12-10 05:03 PM
    Thank you so much for all the input

11-12-10 05:03 PM
    I love mine. Haven't dropped it yet but it's a solid device!

11-12-10 05:16 PM
    Sounds like you might have made your decision, but in case you haven't, I would wait for the 9780. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Torch, but I would not choose it as my work device. I currently have a 9650 for work, and it is awesome. I would do the 9780 if you're on AT&T because I really like OS6.
    As much as I love my Torch, the slider may become annoying in an office setting if you're rushing from meeting to meeting while keeping an eye on the phone.
    For personal use, I love it!

11-12-10 05:17 PM
    Upgraded from Bold 9000. I like OS6 and the option of touchscreen for some functions
    Found physical keybord on Torch to be really good despite being smaller. Only gripes are volume and speaker sound, poor compared to BOLD 9000 , battery ok but not wonderful.
    Personally I wish i had waited for 9780 but i really like the Torch. Also I like the standard OS6 theme, but i expected some great choices from developers. So far practically nothing, seems to be down to developer kit issues, very disappointing.
    11-12-10 05:32 PM
    Upgraded from Bold 9000. I like OS6 and the option of touchscreen for some functions
    Found physical keybord on Torch to be really good despite being smaller. Only gripes are volume and speaker sound, poor compared to BOLD 9000 , battery ok but not wonderful.
    Personally I wish i had waited for 9780 but i really like the Torch. Also I like the standard OS6 theme, but i expected some great choices from developers. So far practically nothing, seems to be down to developer kit issues, very disappointing.
    Nothing from developers? I would assume you mean themes. there are 8 pages of themes on this forum for the torch alone.

Coming from a curve 8310, I love my torch but could see how using it on a day to day basis in the professional world could be a hassle. Try out the 9780 and the torch in the same go and decide which is best for you.
    11-12-10 05:35 PM
    I do have at&t and I'm new on here and it Is great too see peaple that want too help me and I work on a boat and gone a lot so that's why I want somthing good its my life line too family but it is for my own use. Right now I have border books app on my curve I do a lot of reading. I also have facebook myspace and yahoo messanger all running on my curve .

11-12-10 07:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD