The Torch is the first slider I've ever used. I've seen several people posting abiut a creaking sound and wondered what they were talking about... now I know. However, part of me thinks this would happen as any slider "ages" and is used; is that the case? I ask because I have had my eye on the new 4G slider Sprint will have out soon. ,
    08-30-10 04:36 PM
    I've had 2 other sliders, both HTC models and both have loosened over a short period of time and became creaky. Very sloppy and cheaply built phones. If this phone you're referring to is an HTC brand, I wouldn't recommend it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-10 06:26 PM
    I guess I also phrased my title wrong; it should be "current torch owners who have had previous sliders".

My Wife has the Hero and likes it a lot, so I'm not apposed to HTC. However, the phone I'm looking at is the new Samsung Epic. I like my Torch a lot, and if other sliders end up getting "loose" if you will and creaking over time, I'll probably just stick with the Torch. The only other (small) issues I've noticed to date are software glitches which could either be a) due to 3rd part apps on my phone or b) fixed with the next software release.

I really like my Wife's Android, and since I only use the BIS side of BB, a Droid phone would get the job done when it comes to email. I guess my main opposition at this point would be a horizontal slider as apposed to a vertical slider. The vertical slider just seems more natural to me. I read my phone vertically 90% of the time, so it makes since to just slide the keyboard down. I think having to turn my phone to type might get annoying.
    Last edited by KahneFan; 08-30-10 at 11:31 PM.
    08-30-10 11:00 PM
    not all phone manufacturers...
    you're forgetting the number 1 in the world..
    my wife's phone, after all these years have no sliding problems

08-30-10 11:14 PM
    The CLIQ I used had one of the most solid sliders.. It had some play, but when it snapped up it was all business. Never got any worse from when it was new.

Now, there are certain phones that just don't work well as sliders because the mechanism is cheap. Like the Motorola Rival, it's slider assembly has separated for many despite it having NO play at all.
    08-30-10 11:23 PM
    not all phone manufacturers...
    you're forgetting the number 1 in the world..
    my wife's phone, after all these years have no sliding problems

I don't think any slider has come close to the build quality of the nokia 8800. I miss that phone. I abused that that slider no end, flung it open like i was a ready to gun someone down...

haven't owned a horizontal slide phone before but i dont particularly find the keys that much better over a vertical one but it still beats typing a touch screen the normal way.

i would expect a bit wear and tear because its a sliding mechanism. Im sure its rated to last a certain amount of timess before it becomes a real issue. just like the reflex mirror actions on DSLRS and the suspensions in cars. it's just how it is but the torch looks like it can be dealt a little beating :P
    08-30-10 11:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD