This is my first blackberry so I'm unsure of how this works exactly.

Everytime I try to test call my torch with my housephone it says my voicemail has not been set almost like its turned off and its blocking calls, no rings whatsoever even if the device is fully on. However, when I am connected to 3g or "radio" (whatever that is) I am able to receive incoming calls. How do I fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-12-10 12:20 AM
    Hello,

First off did you set your voice mailbox up yet? The first time you hold down 1 or call your torch from your torch it should prompt you to set the mailbox up. What did you have before? I know when I went from a windows phone to the Blackberry I had to have the carrier reset the voice mailbox.

What do you mean by turning on 3G? Did you go into connections and turn the radio on?
    11-12-10 12:33 AM
    Thanks for the response. I tried dialing my own number on my device guessing it would take me to the voicemai setup as it did on my old device but by dialing my own number I realized I couldn't even make an outgoing call without turning on this "radio" each time I try and make a phone call I am being required to turn on this radio connection.

11-12-10 12:45 AM
    Without having the 'radio' turned on, how do you expect to make or receive calls? The 'radio' is the connection to your service provider. Turning the 'radio' off is the same as disconnection the wire from your land line.
    11-12-10 01:00 AM
    What exactly is the "radio" is the "radio" basically the network data that I'm paying for monthly? If this is the case then wouldn't it mean that I'm basically using my data plan to make phone calls

11-12-10 01:11 AM
    No. Phone Calls don't factor in to your data plan, that is controlled by your minutes, data is stuff like Email, web browsing, sms & text messages.
    11-12-10 01:27 AM
    No. Phone Calls don't factor in to your data plan, that is controlled by your minutes, data is stuff like Email, web browsing, sms & text messages.
    Thanks for clarifying this. The reason why I was confused is because when I am asked to turn on radio connection and I agree to do so, I see "3g" on top my screen, along with my wifi connection. So when I have the radio connection on, while I browse the web, which connection will be in? Because on my phone it says on the left side "3G" and on the center "AT&T - *Wifi Connection Name"
    11-12-10 01:41 AM
    If you are using the bundled browser that came with the Torch, it will use the Wifi connection first if you are connected to wifi, you can tell what connection you are currently on by looking beside the connection icon, you should see the "BlackBerry" symbol next to the active one.
    11-12-10 01:53 AM
    If the radio is active and you see 3G, that means that you are on the carrier network to make and receive calls. Either hold down the 1 key or call your carrier to setup your voicemail and visual voicemail. I only use WiFi in places that have it and only when necessary. I believe and could be in error but the Torch will use the carrier network as the internet connection before it looks for WiFi. Having WiFi connected all the time drains the battery unnecessarily.

11-12-10 05:16 AM
    I noticed your on AT&t, if you have never had AT&T visual voicemail you will have to call them and set it up for you. I have had AT&T service for nearly 20 years and when I bought my torch I had the same issue. Called AT&T to have it setup and the service added to my plan(free of course but it still needs to be added). For some reason the customer service rep in store didn't add it to my account. Perhaps the same issue your having?
    11-12-10 06:04 AM
    I was able to add Visual Voicemail to my account (never had it before) via the AT&T website, no calls were necessary.

11-12-10 06:47 AM
    The Torch will use WiFi first, that is why the "BlackBerry" icon will be beside the "wifi" symbol in the top right hand corner when connected to a wifi network.
    11-12-10 10:16 AM
    I've had problems setting up voicemail as well. It asks me to enter my mailbox number "designated by your system manager" and my phone # doesn't work. I gave up and just need to call AT&T.

11-12-10 10:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD