I am coming from an antique BB curve 8310. After three years if heavy use, it just couldn't be duct taped together any longer.

Decided to go to the torch after considering droid and iphone, and I am having much buyers remorse.

So many problems. The touch screen is so 'touchy'. The trackpad is difficult for me to use (almost unusable). The ringer seems quiet. etc...

Should I 'hang in there' and get used to this device, customize it and such... Or should I get out and switch to something else while I can???
    06-14-11 05:35 PM
    Update it to os .576 and try it.
    If u hate it, swap it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-11 05:44 PM
    I'd suggest an update also. Although even before updating mine I was always quite pleased after coming from an older BB. Especially with the trackpad as it was so much better than the track ball from before. Makes me wonder if it's OS issue or maybe a bad Torch out of the box? Or maybe just user's preference...
    06-14-11 06:13 PM
    It could be that I have had three years of constant use with the old curve. I am just so used to that device it is second nature. I really got the most out of it, and it is really difficult making a change!!!

Not sure what to do. I will probably give it a good try.
    06-14-11 06:26 PM
    I'd second the recommendation to do an OS upgrade. I'd also suggest you learn how to customize the various settings such as screen sensitivity, etc. Coming from an older phone you'll find that there are way more things you can "tweak" then perhaps what you are used to. And folks on this forum will be more than glad to help with any specific issues you may have.

It took me some time to get used to the Torch but now I love mine. I didn't realize how much I had customized mine until I recently did a wipe and reset everything back to default settings.
    06-14-11 06:51 PM
    I feel your pain. I'd trade the wonky trackpad for my old 9000 trackball in a nanosecond.
    pastycat likes this.
    06-14-11 08:13 PM
    I'm new to torch as well and don't know how to update my OS can anyone message me with step by step on how do update my OS

06-14-11 08:23 PM
    Hmm. The pad vs. ball did take some getting used to but after that, no problem. Give it some time. I would suggest a 576 base with a 600 java replacement - a hybrid. It for a second time will be a new device!

Last edited by shansmi; 06-14-11 at 08:38 PM.
    06-14-11 08:26 PM
    It could be that I have had three years of constant use with the old curve. I am just so used to that device it is second nature. I really got the most out of it, and it is really difficult making a change!!!

Not sure what to do. I will probably give it a good try.
    The Torch is an acquired taste, as it is very anti-"berry". I've seen some people that can work that thing one-handed, even type on the virtual keyboard one handed with just the thumb. It was the only touchscreen phone that I could tolerate, but I'm back on a real phone again. I'd be using the Torch if I didn't have a Playbook though.
    06-14-11 08:32 PM
    It sounds like you would have issues with any phone. It has obviously been a really long time since you've had a new phone, so any will have an adjustment period for you. I agree with the others. Update the os & customize the sensitivity so it's not so sensitive. Good luck!
    06-14-11 08:33 PM
    I'm new to torch as well and don't know how to update my OS can anyone message me with step by step on how do update my OS

Just do a search in the forums and you'll find those step by step instructions. It's actually quite easy. In fact, here's a link to it:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/ho...system-208714/
    06-14-11 08:34 PM
    The hybrid (from rroyy over in the hybrid section - just install 576 onto your PC then run his installer and run the DM or loader.exe) would be my recommendation. This combo is awesome on my 3 9800s and 600 is running great on my 9700.

06-14-11 08:42 PM
    I'd have 2 suggestions...

1) As already noted - try an upgrade to .576; tweak the settings. You'd get all kinds of assistance in this forum. That may make a huge difference to your experience. Alternatively...

2) You probably don't have enough time to wait before the yet-to-be-released new BB's. So, you might be more satisfied with the Bold 9780. It's a similar, but superior version of the form factor to the curve you're used to. Super battery life; touch pad; OS 6.0; light; more pocketable than the Torch. If you go that direction, the theme "18 icon" available in BB App World would make you feel right at home after the curve.

Hope this helps. ~ecm

Posted from my CrackBerry (at the pub) at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Elessar.cm; 06-14-11 at 10:21 PM.
    06-14-11 10:18 PM
    Return it man.
    I've yet to see an OS "upgrade" that doesn't make my torch heat up like a missle, or one that fixes the google maps "hourglass" issue or one that's on par with current devices. The old curves were workhorses, the torch, not soo much. Don't **** around wh os hybrids and crap you'll never be satisfied ( at least I'm not)

06-14-11 11:32 PM
    Return it man.
    I've yet to see an OS "upgrade" that doesn't make my torch heat up like a missle, or one that fixes the google maps "hourglass" issue or one that's on par with current devices. The old curves were workhorses, the torch, not soo much. Don't **** around wh os hybrids and crap you'll never be satisfied ( at least I'm not)

wow, what an opinion. read the 600 thread. no heat and no hour glass even with Google Maps. do the expected battery pulls to settle the OS down just as you should after first boot of a new BB and you will be surprised.
    06-14-11 11:37 PM
    I hope so... I'll be working on this tonight

06-14-11 11:59 PM
    I suggest making a list of pros and cons not a list for everyone just things you like and don't like about the phone. List things you like better on the torch, things you miss from the curve.
    Once you have constructed this list try to find a way to use the things you like from the curve on the torch. Once you apply all of your settings and really start using the torch daily you will find that it is a much better phone than the 8310. I was like you at first but now I can't imagine life without my torch.

06-15-11 01:28 AM
    Sideline: if you're returning, go for an ip4. Nothing else beats it ryt now imo. Or wait for the 9900 but I don't think even Mike Laziridis knows when its due for release.

06-15-11 08:00 AM
    Changing devices is always difficult. Especially as I really got the most of that old curve and used it a LOT.

I have had other devices/phones over the years, dating back to Motorola two-way pagers. With several Nextel's, Q's, etc..., along the way.

Probably need to spend a week with the Torch, and evaluate at that time. I just feel that I made the wrong choice right now...
    06-15-11 08:02 AM
    Update. I have the torch fully operational and have used it for 5 days. Although it is a much better device than my initial impressions, I still do not care for the slider and the small/thin keypad area.

The BlackBerry Bold 9900 might be the better device for me. Wish we knew when it is being released, the pricing, etc...

I can return this torch within 90 days with a $35 restocking fee, as I got it at costco. Would be great if the 9900 would be out in that time frame.

Hate it that I am 'chasing technology'!!!
    06-18-11 10:11 AM
    I got my Torch right after xmas. I used my wife's iPhone but didn't care for it due having trouble using the touchscreen. I never had a bb before so I did not have any reference with the touchpad but that is why I got it. A new device takes time to get use to and I now find myself not using the slider at all. I haven't had any trouble with mine that wasn't user error.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    06-18-11 10:56 AM
    I'm sure it's a matter of getting used to the Torch. I bought the Torch after using the Bold 9000 for 2 years, and it just didn't feel right at first. Me too thought the screen was too touchy, and I kept opening a bunch of apps I didn't mean to open. I actually think it's very handy sometimes while browsing or reading long emails. I scroll through the icon menu with the touchscreen, and use the trackpad to scroll through text menus, or bbm. My girlfriend has the 9700 and I find myself touching her screen sometimes.

I type a lot on the BB, so I got used the keyboard after a week or so. The only thing I thought was annoying at first was the top row of letters, my thumbs kept touching the bezel. I just had to get used to the smaller keyboard and now it feels natural.

I loved my Bold to death and never thought I would love anything else. Kept it even when the 9700 came out because I hated the size. I have the same love for my Torch now, and a recent chip in the bezel kept me depressed for weeks

And yes, if you can't get used to it you can always go for the 9900. Still think the 9000 style keyboard is the best keyboard out there.
    06-21-11 03:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD