Hey all. First off, I'd like to thank everyone for all the help you've already given me as a first time poster and long time reader.
    I just got my first blackberry (the torch) and absolutely love it. Since I'm still new to both the torch and blackberry game, I was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks or even generic advice about the torch or blackberry ownership in general. I appreciate it! Thanks.
    Last edited by MysteryHat; 03-03-11 at 03:01 PM.
    03-03-11 02:59 PM
    BB in general: BlackBerry Help | CrackBerry.com

Torch: Upgrade the OS to at least .448 and maybe .450. BlackBerry 101: How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) | CrackBerry.com

And check out BBSAK for upgrading. http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/how-...-bbsak-570663/

Enjoy the finest phone on the market today.
    MysteryHat likes this.
    03-03-11 03:09 PM
    I just picked up a Torch a week ago as well, and it is awesome! Enjoy it and welcome to the Crackberry family!
    MysteryHat likes this.
    03-03-11 04:08 PM
    Thanks for the advice and welcome. I have a quick question. I'd like to be able to type in a quick few letters and have that be recognized as something else. For example, I'd type BB and Blackberry would show up on the text screen. I could swear I've read a way that its possible, but I can't find it in my history.
    03-03-11 05:03 PM
    Thanks for the advice and welcome. I have a quick question. I'd like to be able to type in a quick few letters and have that be recognized as something else. For example, I'd type BB and Blackberry would show up on the text screen. I could swear I've read a way that its possible, but I can't find it in my history.
    You go to Options>Typing and Input>Word Substitution...Hit the Blackberry logo menu button and go to "New" and it will give you a screen to add BB and the replacement word "Blackberry"

Hit the menu button again and go to "Save". Now just type in BB and it will correct it as Blackberry in the future.
    Last edited by ModernMacguyver; 03-03-11 at 05:07 PM.
    MysteryHat likes this.
    03-03-11 05:05 PM
    You go to Options>Typing and Input>Word Substitution...Hit the Blackberry logo menu button and go to "New" and it will give you a screen to add BB and the replacement word "Blackberry"

Hit the menu button again and go to "Save". Now just type in BB and it will correct it as Blackberry in the future.
    LOVE this feature. I have so many different word "short-cuts" in my BlackBerry. I seem to forget that regular computers don't do this. I even try hitting the space bar twice for a period now. Oh, how BlackBerry has spoiled me!
    MysteryHat likes this.
    03-03-11 05:49 PM

Perfect! Thanks so much.
    03-03-11 05:53 PM
    Perfect! Thanks so much.
    No problem, anytime!

To Hmutt: yeah I actually just discovered this a few days ago and have been using it pretty often as well, it's a great feature!
    03-03-11 05:56 PM
    BB in general: BlackBerry Help | CrackBerry.com

Torch: Upgrade the OS to at least .448 and maybe .450. BlackBerry 101: How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) | CrackBerry.com

And check out BBSAK for upgrading. http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/how-...-bbsak-570663/

Enjoy the finest phone on the market today.
    As per updating... Currently I have the most updated 'Official' Blackberry release. Is it safe/ok to update to the betas (which I'm assuming .488 and .450 are)?
    03-03-11 05:59 PM
    As per updating... Currently I have the most updated 'Official' Blackberry release. Is it safe/ok to update to the betas (which I'm assuming .488 and .450 are)?
    I think you mean .448 and .450, but I've heard nothing but good things from everyone about .448 and above, that at least .448 actually makes the Torch run quicker and lengthens battery life. Only reason I haven't updated mine yet is I have a Mac, so I'm trying to find the right file download for it. Other than that I'd download .448 at least instantly.
    03-03-11 06:54 PM
    I think you mean .448 and .450, but I've heard nothing but good things from everyone about .448 and above, that at least .448 actually makes the Torch run quicker and lengthens battery life. Only reason I haven't updated mine yet is I have a Mac, so I'm trying to find the right file download for it. Other than that I'd download .448 at least instantly.
    I have a Mac as well. If you find the right file, I'd really appreciate a PM or info on where you got it.
    03-03-11 07:09 PM
    I did find this last night:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f62/lea...t-work-590186/

Explains (I think) how to switch .exe file extensions to .dmg for Mac. It did have a "brick" warning before you try it so I was going to wait until I heard from someone else that it worked before I tried it myself
    03-03-11 07:34 PM
    Check out the apps. I like this "Easy Smiley face" (free).

Easy Smiley Pack for BBM - Hidden Messenger Smilies and Emoticons - Social BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store

As soon as you install this free app, you will notice that when you are in a BBM conversation, press the BB Menu key, and you will see a new option called Add Easy Smiley.
    03-03-11 08:02 PM
    Welcome, and congrats on your torch. I've had mine since it first came out and just switched out my black one for the white one. Totally love it. I have the leaked .450 version and have had no problems with it at all. Everything works better on it.
    03-03-11 08:03 PM
    You can add extra emoticons by the same method as the short formed words.
    http://m.crackberry.com/loads-new-bb...s-found-hiding

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-11 08:28 PM
    Welcome, and congrats on your torch. I've had mine since it first came out and just switched out my black one for the white one. Totally love it. I have the leaked .450 version and have had no problems with it at all. Everything works better on it.
    Noticing alot of people are going or have chosen the white one over the others. It's the first thing that caught my eye about it, not many white phones out there these days!
    03-03-11 08:51 PM
    i just can't get past the idea of white phones looking frighteningly like white leisure disco suits! Ugh ...
    03-03-11 09:48 PM

Thank you! I didn't know you could change those. Anytime I type Lt it gives local time but I'm trying to abriviate Lieutenant its so annoying. Glad I can change it!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-11 12:33 AM
    Hi, my name is @zZ!r and I am about to be a BlackBerry user and Torch in particular. Sorry, trying to find an introduction page but can I attach here? I'm supposed to receive the unit yesterday but I guess designated courier company doesn't know how to use MapApp....silly them.

I have a lot of questions as a new user but will focus on most important them in my point of view and really hope experts here can shed few lights; thanks in advance guys....

1. First of would be an update. When I receive the unit first and foremost I have to do an update right? I already download (https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...0566D25BD4BF7E) but first I need to install 6.0.0.246 isn't it? Can I just skip the first and straightaway do .448?

2. I am living in Malaysia and my provider here will be Celcom. As I am subscribing for an unlimited data plan HSDPA guess my unit wil be unlock for all feature isn't it? All I need to do is follow instructions key in BlackBerry ID, BIS and whatnot .... just need a confirmation, I need to do all this after update, am I right? After few reading I'm still blur on BB ID, BIS and its stuff but I guess maybe this is meant for me to receive the unit first and take it at a time.

3. App This excite me most. I don't need to add in Scheduler as I am aware BlackBerry is a great scheduler tool. One thing that is compulsory for me is an Office App. I am searching high and low for a very good office app that can handle Word, Excel, Powerpoint & .pdf at ease but I guess I have to do with eOffice 4.6 that fit the criteria. Do you guys recommend something else? (Note: editing .pdf would be a bonus feat) I don't mind paying as long as it will not exceed 20USD(free is welcome anyway

4. Additional app that I really wanted to add in at first will be: (not in order)

Facebook, BBM (definite)
    SmartGuard (are there better free app for security?)
    FourSquare (I read others said its sucks but for my understanding it is about how we use it am I right? I will not be using it all the time but occasionally)
    ...and last but not least: Quick Search w/ Google? Is it necessary as Torch already got universal search? I love using google search for every info that I need at fingertip.

Sorry guys to burden with such a newbie questions but if you are free and feel like to help me here I am very glad and appreciated. I will keep on posting once I receive the unit (hopefully today or else I'll be making lot of noise .

until then
    03-25-11 10:11 PM
    Hello and welcome to the Torch! We're happy to have you.

1. Your Torch will automatically come with .246. It is very buggy and I'd highly encourage upgrading to .448 or .450 as soon as you get the phone. I'm using .450 with no issues, great battery life, etc.

3. I use the BlackBerry Calendar on ocassion. I actually use my Coach day planner for most of my scheduling needs. I'm sure there are plenty of great scheduling and organizational apps available. PageOnce is a great app for your finances. But I use BlackBerry wallet to store my credit card info and I use Password Keeper for certain passwords and codes for work and personal use. Both BB Wallet and Password Keeper will come with your phone.

4. Definitely look at BerryBuzz and BerryWeather. I like UberSocial for Twitter. BlackBerry Protect is supposed to be the premier security app, but I personally have not tried it.

Enjoy!
    azzir.bb likes this.
    03-26-11 05:54 AM
    Thanks a lot hmutt! For once I thought I am hijacking your thread, glad you approved it. Up until this Saturday evening I am yet to receive my unit which brings it to Monday! I am not happy..... sigh!

Thanks for your tips on BB Calendar, that I'm going to get acquittance for sure. I'll check out BBWallet and PageOnce as well (BB Calendar & Wallet pre-installed while PageOnce is an app need to be download am I right?)

Just a quick question:- once I update to .448/.450 I on the Torch and first thing it going to ask is it BB Pin number? Is this number is supplied by telco? Or is it comes along with the Torch? Thanks in advance.

I need an input on a good Office app alternative to eOffice 4.6. Aside from that I saw an app which really going to be useful to me: Photo Editor Suite (@3.99 at Crackberry app Store). Thanks again.
    03-26-11 07:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD